don't click here

Z80 music driver disassembly

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Sik, Mar 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    If I'm not wrong Sonic 1 used a lot of standard stuff used in a lot of games. I was comparing the MegaDrive documents I have. One of them was from a place where MegaDrive developing was being teached, and it has a generic header. The same driver is there.

But, of course, Sonic 1 was already had been disassembled by the hackers of that age. Don't think that you were the first in do so. The hacking scene in that age was certainly advanced. Just that they only used it for learning how to make games and selling pirate versions.

2. Dr. D'nar

Dr. D'nar

I wouldn't trust me if I were you Member
    It looks like the Z80 is all memory mapped. Does accessing the ports have any effect?

3. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    Hahahah, no wonder I thought that the disassembly was extremely short. Still, it's an awesome way to learn things. Hell, I haven't even disassembled anything myself, so he's ahead of me in that regard.

4. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Ssh, don't discourage him. I need this. =O

5. Aurochs

Aurochs

Единый, могучий Советский Союз! Tech Member
    Whatever catches my fancy

6. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    First of all: I took the driver from a document that I have (check my emu.zip)... and seems like the driver in that document was stolen from Sonic 1... or something.

BTW, it's a good way to learn how to send DAC to the sound hardware. I think I have an idea I can implement about the DACs, some kind of improvement to it (and no, it isn't to put more than one DAC, I'm talking about something never did before), and you're going to love me after that ;) Specially LocalH, who thinks that this can go to something really innovative... But I won't tell you what is until I finish it :P Only to the other techies before that... Of course, dunno if I'll finish it. The chances of finishing it are high, but there is your warning :P

Now, this is ironic... I don't want to get people confused since I'm a programmer, not a musician, but all the interesting stuff I'm making is about music... XD

7. Dr. D'nar

Dr. D'nar

I wouldn't trust me if I were you Member
    Memory-mapped Z80. That's demented.

Can the Z80 DI/EI? Can the Z80 prevent itself from being suspended.

8. Aurochs

Aurochs

Единый, могучий Советский Союз! Tech Member
    Whatever catches my fancy

9. jman2050

jman2050

Teh Sonik Haker Tech Member
    Just wanted to bump this to say that this is in fact NOT the Sonic 1 driver. The Sonic 1 driver is in fact completely different from this :P

Though this would definitely be useful for homebrew MD games that want to take advantage of DAC samples.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.