don't click here

Your idea of the Sonic "canon"

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by 87th, Mar 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Yeah. I can beat Sky Deck in about 3:30 or so. I can only get a time like that for the first two levels as team Sonic in Heroes.

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I mostly agree with all that, but I'd put the best times to beat in less than 1 minute, as 30 seconds seems a bit too short for every level.
    Almost every Sonic 1 level can be beaten in less than a minute by choosing the correct paths, by the way, and that even includes Scrap Brain 3.

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Very true, I was just debating where to put Sonic CD because of the fact it's debatable whether it or Sonic 2 came first. Putting it slap bang between S2 and S3 is probably a mistake on reflection, though I think in the end I'd put it before S2 rather than after S&K simply because although it was released later, it is the only Sonic game apart from S1 where Tails isn't present in-game, and as S2 was his intro... let's just say Tails is a lot better at following Sonic around than Amy is. =P

Fair enough, and not a specific attack at you either (though it may read as one). More me pimping my hardware collection than anything. ;)

I'd also like to quote this again for emphasis to all those bitching about Shadow, Heroes, and StH.

Shad - thanks, I thought it made sense. =P

4. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    I fact I can beat it even faster than Green Hill 1 (my record in GHz1 was 26 seconds, in SBz3 it's 23).

5. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER Member
    Germany
    Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
    I'm still waiting for my 32X... I ordered it with Chaotix, Tempo and Star Wars Arcade for less than $40 (less in Euro) from Canada... plus $60 shipping which supposedly takes 6-8 weeks. Have I been ripped off with the shipping costs? >_>

*cough*
    He also got kidnapped once in Sonic 2 8-bit. :P

6. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    But at least he manages to reach Sonic always, even if he's killed and has to resurrect. Amy completely fails to reach Sonic in most of the cases.

7. Oh yeah, and I hold that the Rush and Riders series come before SA1. A lot of things point to it, such as the Tornado I-lookalike in SRA, the lack of anyone introduced in SA1 or beyond (Gamma, Big, Shadow, Rouge...), the SA1-style Eggmobile, etc. I wouldn't be surprised.

So, I guess the order of "major" games would be:

Sonic 1
    Sonic 2
    Sonic CD*
    Sonic 3 & Knuckles (Sonic/Tails)
    Sonic 3 & Knuckles (Knuckles, potentially a lot later)
    Sonic 3D
    Chaotix
    Advance 1
    Advance 2
    Rush 1
    Rush 2
    Riders 1
    Riders 2
    SA1
    SA2
    Heroes
    Shadow
    Battle**
    Advance 3
    Sonic Next-Gen
    Rivals 1, 2

Secret Rings is in there SOMEWHERE. After Knuckles and Sonic have known each other long enough to argue easily, anyway.

* I have the idea ingrained in my mind that, somewhere, I read that the Death Egg took six months to reach the surface following the events of Sonic 2. Maybe it had something to do with the concept that Sonic went straight to Angel Island right after S2's ending? Because he doesn't. There's at least a span of a few days, so maybe that's where I got mixed up. If I were to place CD on either side, it'd be before S2.

** Shadow isn't crying about who he is in this game, so Battle has to happen after his crap-tastic game. Advance 3 necessarily follows.

8. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    As far as I know, this is what seems to be canon to me.

Sonic 1 (Duh)
    Sonic CD (Tails is hinted at only in the sound test; early designs of characters; the fact it changes to much indicates it was intended to be a way to expand the series. Too bad it never took off and got a sequel, otherwise we may not be in the situation we are today.)
    Sonic 2 (Tails appears for good, Death Egg, first 'modern' Robotnik style battle (I.E., Death Egg -> Mech -> BOOM)
    Sonic 3 (Most obvious continuation—give it a week or two, but how else could Sonic be Super?)
    Sonic and Knuckles (Duh)

Right there is where I cut it off.

Why? Very simple. Each game follows a setup with a new character or so, a new locale, Eggman being the main bad guy, and Sonic being the main good guy. Furthermore, the strict definition of how his robots are powered by small animals and no other humans or cities are seen.

Finally, it follows the logic of those games, where one seamlessly follows the next. CD deviates a bit, but that's okay—it technically seems to be what could have been a different path, but stays same enough to stay in.

Ultimately, SEGA's biggest problem is deviating too far from the formula. It just isn't Sonic anymore. All these humans, cities, and such weren't there in the old games, but more importantly, once Eggman did his last grandiose act in Sonic Adventure 2, they basically screwed him over for the rest of the games.

And the core definition, above all else, in my mind, is Eggman vs. Sonic, not Sonic vs. Flying boss monster.

Of course, I was getting comfy when they made Sonic Adventure, for if we look at it closely...

It makes a similar pattern.

Sonic Adventure
    Sonic 360 (Purely because of how it resembles Sonic CD; not a serious attempt to put it, timeline-wise, between those two games)
    Sonic Adventure 2
    Sonic Heroes
    Shadow the Hedgehog

The problem is that in this cycle things went out of whack. Adventures 1 and 2 were nice and linked, so I looked eagerly forward to an Adventure 3.

Then we got Sonic Heroes.

I was disappointed, but then again, Sonic 3 hadn't done it for me either. It needed its own sort of Sonic and Knuckles.

Instead, Sonic 360 came out.

And that was where this cycle died for me.

Hence, I await a third cycle. Most importantly, I hope for a form-busting game that will remodel it like Sonic Adventure 1; perhaps they can make a new consistent system and NOT foul it up after 3 relatively consistent games.

9. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    Letsee:

First came a bunch of mostly good 2d games. Then came a 2d game with 3d sprites that blew. After that came a few okay 3d games. Then came a string of shitty 3d games and a bunch of good 2d games with tired gameplay. And here we are today!

There you go. Sonic the Hedgehog in a nutshell.

But since I am relatively new to this board I suppose I shouldn't be my usual cynical self, so I guess I will actually add to the convo.

I also have trouble placing CD. Not because of when it was released, but because its hard to place timeline wise because of time travel. The past seems to be the long ago past, but because the boss fights all take place in the future, and the future seems to be the near future, as the end of the game is after a boss battle in the future. But then some of the scenery changes between present and future seem like they would take a long fucking time.

But then by this nerdy analysis, I guess parts of Sonic Adventure take place long before any of the other games.

Really I don't think about it much as CD was the pinnacle of Sonic Games IMO anyway. Really I think CD was meant as an alternate to Sonic 1 more than anything else. So I guess I would place it like this...

Sonic 1/CD
    Sonic 2
    Sonic 3&K
    Chaotix
    Sonic 3D Blast
    R
    Adventure
    And then I stopped playing Sonic games, aside from a couple of the GBA ones on emulator.

10. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    Don't Shadow and Battle contradict each other? Battle says Shadow as model'd after Emerl or some crap, then Shadow comes along and says "LOL BLACK DOOM"

11. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

Germany
    Except you can unlock Rouge and Shadow amirite

Still, a few days isn't enough to build all sorts of metallic bases on the faraway Little Planet, tons of new robots, time-travelling devices and Metal Sonic and so on. Especially since building Launch Base on Angel Island and the badniks there and all that other stuff would have takes a few days at least by its own, so I doubt he still had time to simultaneously plan the thinsg he did in Sonic CD. The game either happened before Sonic 2 or after S3K (which I find more likely due to Metal Sonic seemingly being a new kind of Sonic robot after Silver and Mecha Sonic had failed. Their model row was discontinued, however metal Sonic was constantly reused afterwards.), but not in-between them.

While I agree with this, Shadow does cry about who he is in the game, however this time because he knows it. ("BAWWW I'm A SOULLESS WEAPON HEY EMERL BE EMO WITH ME")

Or flower seeds (Sonic CD). Or nothing (8-bit titles. Though that may be just due to technical limitations so let's ignore that.).
    Spring Yard Zone, Star Light Zone, Stardust Speedway, Giga(lo)polis Zone, Radical City(, Chemical Plant Zone's background?)?

12. Zenor

Zenor

flip the chessboard over Member
    He was at D.A garden too.

13. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

Germany
    (D.A. Garden IS the sound test.)

14. Liliam

Liliam

Previously Fred Oldbie
    <!--quoteo(post=184188:date=Mar 16 2008, 02:50 PM:name=P.P.A.)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (P.P.A. @ Mar 16 2008, 02:50 PM) [​IMG]

15. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    Indeed. Actually, I totally forgot Tails was in DA garden. I just remember him by the "See you next game" pic where he is standing next to a car, accessible by sound test of course.

Of course knowing where the whole "Sonic's Friends" thing went, I kinda wish he was under the wheels of the car.

16. Sazpaimon

Sazpaimon

Tech Member
    We can't include Sonic 3 as cannon, because then we'd have to throw out every game afterwards. We forget that Sonic dies in Carnival Night barrel room after a time over, how can he be alive for the rest of the series?!

17. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    What Saz said ;P

Seriously, anyone saying any games after S3&K aren't canon is just being silly.

18. Dominus Draconis

Dominus Draconis

I agree mostly, I think 3D blast contributed nothing of value(notice how they have yet to refer to it again in any way) and I disagree with R and Riders and such being in cannon. It'd be like saying Sonic Drift should be cannon, or Mario Party, err, Sonic Shuffle, they were alternate games never meant to be part of the main story

19. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    Retarded and moronic come to mind.

20. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    All hail king Silly!!!!

Er, seriously, by Sound Test I meant D.A. Garden. Clumsy me.

Truthfully I believe in cycles of canon rather than one true canon over others. Generally grouping games made by similar people in similar eras together in ways that have the most sense. If one was to get technical about it you could probably figure out a million little shards in which game X and Z both fit together to make a cohesive timeline, and game C would fulfill that too, but then no other games fit in that, etc.

Basically, what is real and what isn't resets about every 2 games these days, instead of every 4, which is what makes it appear the story's messed up. 'Wasn't too messed up 'til Heroes came in and laughed at Sonic Advantures 1 and 2... only for Shadow the Hedgehog and Battle to start shooting at one another... and don't get me started on how screwed up 360 is if you try to combine it with anything other than Shadow the Hedgehog and a select few other things. :P

Truthfully I'd prefer a good game with a bizarre story I'd normally consider 'not S3K sequel canon material' than one which robotically fulfills my expectations for a S3K sequel without doing any new or fun gameplay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.