don't click here

Whatever Happened to Retro Channel?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Graxer, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Graxer

Graxer

I was wondering what happened to Retro Channel, the online high score and achievement system that was implemented into "Sonic the Hedgehog 1 @ SAGE 2010". I was under the impression we would be hearing more about it over time and see it implemented in newer hacks, however this doesn't appear to be the case. I'm not complaining that nothing further has been heard, I am just curious about it as I thought it was a brilliant feature and the project appears to have been inactive for the past couple of years.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section. I wasn't sure whether it belonged more in "General Sonic Discussion" or "Engineering and Reverse Engineering" and didn't want to revive an old Retro Channel or "Sonic the Hedgehog 1 @ SAGE 2010" topic so that I didn't get anyone's hopes up.

EDIT: It also seems that the website that used to display high scores and achievements has been taken down.

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    We'll see it again after the next demo of Sonic 1 Extended Edition :specialed:

3. Graxer

Graxer

Awesome! That's great news! (Assuming there is another demo eventually! :v:) Thanks! :)

4. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    wait...wasn't Sonic 1 Extended Edition cancelled? someone please enlighten me since I totally lost track about that...

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'm not sure if you people seem to be understanding that what I said was a joke, thus the :specialed: How the hell when I know when the next demo of S1 EE will come out, last we saw of it was in 2006 >>

6. Graxer

Graxer

Ah, I see. Yeah, I thought that project was long dead having not heard about it for a long time.

7. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    Ahh, you guys. I never tire of the Extended Edition jokes. :P

Neither project have been cancelled; Extended Edition nor Retro Channel. Retro Channel is going through a major recode, and I was waiting for GerbilSoft to get to working on MDP for Gens/GS II, but as he is clearly waiting until Extended Edition is out too, I think I'll have to go back to getting it mostly working in the original, despite it being lacking in what I really want to do with it.

A lot of work goes in to implementing a system like Retro Channel, and while I thought I had thought everything through properly with the release of S1@SAGE2010, turns out I just made things even more complicated than I even realised I had.

Basically.. it's on its way, and it is not dead. However, I do have a full-time job, and that does have to come first in terms of my programming time. Sometimes when I get home I just don't feel up to doing more.

One way to help is to nag GerbilSoft, like me, to get off his damn arse and work on Gens/GS II some more, up to implementing MDP and extending it. :P

8. Graxer

Graxer

Thanks! It's great to hear that nether project has been cancelled. :thumbsup:

I realised that, as you pointed out, you would have other much more important commitments! I'm just glad that the project isn't dead!

9. Nova

Nova

Woo, I've been doing this anyway so I can use fraps with Gens/GS! :v:

Looking forward to seeing (and using!) the finished product, but I'm not in any rush - these things take time. It'll be groundbreaking when it does hit!

10. Mike Arcade

Mike Arcade

Free Scriber of Mobius Member
    Considering Sonic Megamix and The S Factor, all of these projects and yours Cinossu will be worth the wait, I'd love to compete against high scores against you guys, that or Multiplayer.

11. Tanks

Tanks

I loved the way the topic appears on the main forum page. "Whatever Happened to Retro..." I've been asking myself the same thing for years...

12. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    Cinossu, when it does happen (the retro channel), do you think it can be useful to the project I presented to you not long ago?

13. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    I have at least one hack that would work well with the Retro Channel.

14. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    Very. :> (Very nice, by the way, sorry for no PM reply.)

15. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber

You will be =P

PM me with any ideas/criticism if you can.