don't click here

What would you like to see in Gens/GS?

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by GerbilSoft, Nov 9, 2009.

1. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Alternatively you could have the "Disable Sega CD"/"Disable 32X" options only take effect on Hard Reset.

2. Andeed

Andeed

Holy pug in a pizza box... Member
    Wales, UK
    Sonic 1 AS3 Engine
    Anaglyph image support of the different planes/layers. Would add a lot of depth to many games, in particular those that utilise parallax scrolling... including the Sonic games, of course :P

3. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    If no one requested it already, fast 32x timing? The earlier Knuckles Chaotix 32X prototypes need it to move on after the Sega logo.

Before anyone mentions Kega Fusion, Gens/GS can turn off the PWM channel which makes that awful ear piercing sound. This would be pretty helpful in listening to some of the sound differences. That and allow me to play the prototypes with the sound on.

Unless there's something I don't know of course...

4. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    "Fast 32X timing" is a Kega Fusion-specific thing that's used as a hack specifically for Chaotix. It doesn't apply to Gens/GS; the Chaotix prototypes don't run for other reasons.

Disabling PWM in Gens/GS right currently disables the PWM chip entirely, not just PWM output, which causes some games to freeze. I'll be reworking the whole thing in Gens/GS II 1.0_pre3 (which is when I plan to reimplement 32X emulation).

5. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    I was under the impression that Chaotix was actually developed alongside the hardware, so the earlier builds are broken because they were literally meant to work with older versions of the hardware.

6. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    It probably was. The PWM problems are most likely because the PWM interface was changed between hardware revisions. Other stuff seems to work fine in Kega though, so I'm guessing there's some other 32X-related issues with Gens/GS.

7. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy

Tech Member
    Doom 32X
  8. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    When the time comes, for Gens/GS II I plan to redo the 32X core in Gens/GS to not suck =P So don't worry about it yet, it's coming...

9. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy

Tech Member
    Doom 32X
    Cool. Sounds really good. I posted a new version of the Mod player in the technical forum. New code and several bins of moddy goodness. :v: