don't click here

What ever happend the the name...

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Flygon, Feb 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flygon

Flygon

Has anyone else noticed this? I tend to call him robotnic(out of habbit) but when did he change to eggman?

2. Tom41

Tom41

Pheer the baby EggRobo! Oldbie
    UK
    He's always been known as Eggman in Japan. That's why you see the text EGGMAN-01 on parts of Wing Fortress (Sonic 2). Robotnik was something Sega of America came up for the English-speaking countries to call him, because they didn't like the word 'Eggman' for some reason.

In Sonic Adventure 1, he was called Robotnik in the English script - with Eggman as Sonic's nickname for him.
    When SA2 (and Sonic X) came around, they'd changed his name to Eggman for the English-speaking countries as well.

3. Don't forget that Gerald and Maria still have the Robotnik surname in ALL countries, including Japan, so both the Eggman and Robotnik names are cannon. What you call him is simply a matter of taste

4. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    A funny thing to notice is that, in the french dub of Sonic X, they still call him "Robotnik" ^^
    Maybe because of the old shows, who know...

5. Vangar

Vangar

He was also nicknamed Eggman, Eggface etc by sonic in both original cartoons.

6. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    If you look at the descriptions for some of the Gear in Sonic Riders, it says Dr. Robotnik Corp. The name hasn't been completely forgotten, they just use his nickname in most situations.

7. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Those are also unofficial, and all storylines/names/etc are solely at the discretion of the writers of the cartoons. They're unofficial, and can't really be used as a basis because it's American anyway (primarily).

I figure that was a way they could bring the two nicknames together, to avoid confusion such as this.

8. chaosruins

chaosruins

Yeah there was discussion about his name in another thread a short while ago. I personally do prefer Robotnik as that's what he was first known as over here in the UK, and that's what I always knew him as. They then decide to actually change it over here (Same in the U.S too, and most english speaking countries as a matter of fact) so the name he uses in most games now days is Eggman, which I personally hate compared to Robotnik. Yes, Eggman is the original name used in Japan etc etc, but I still prefer Robitnik. Sounds far better if you ask me.

9. Molotok

Molotok

Gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha Member
    Well, officially, it's "Dr. Robotnik" as his "real" name and Dr. Eggman being his nickname. At least post-Sonic Adventure 2.

Japanese fan: "You ever notice how they are calling this guy Dr. Robotnik now?" :P

EDIT: And for the record, it's canon. Two N's instead of three.
    Cannon = Weapon
    Canon = Official
    :P

10. First of all, "Robotnik," with a "K." "Habit" with one "b." And capitalize names.
    Second of all, do I need to point out that's a Breloom, not a Flygon in your sig pic?
    Third of all, it was always Robotnik in the west and Eggman in Japan, but now after the Adventure series, the two names have become canonically intertwined in both regions. I'm sure there's some Japanese people who are mightily confused too. Summed up plainly, "Robotnik" is still the old doctor's real name, and "Eggman" is a nickname that, while originally an insult, he seems to have taken on as a title for himself.

11. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

English fans of Fleetway comics can note that while called Robotnik, he did have an Egg fixation. He'd often tell badniks to "Eggsterminate" Sonic.

12. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    You really don't like this guy do you? hahahaha.....

13. Molotok

Molotok

Gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha Member
    And actually that reminds of another "Egg Man" and let's just say he liked eggs more than Robotnik does/did ... in a special sort of way. :P :shocked:

14. Guardian

Guardian

Pending Member
    Sonic & Mario
    I don't know about the rest of you. But I perfer Dr. Evo Robotnik more than Dr. Eggman.

15. You know what I like even more than that? Doctor Ivo Robotnik.

16. ddrmaxromance

ddrmaxromance

Heh, I do prefer Robotnik over Eggman, but this situation also comes up many times in the Mario game series.

Until Super Mario 64 came out, "Princess Toadstool" in the USA became known as Peach. Japan has always used Peach, just like Sega of Japan has always used Eggman. This also interferes with Mario's "love life" in Donkey Kong. The chick Mario had to save from DK was "Pauline" and not "Peach."

USA = Princess Toadstool (until Super Mario 64)
    JAPAN = Peach
    DK Chick = Pauline

I love being random...

17. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    And let's not forget the Street Fighter II three-way name swap.

18. Actually, I'm pretty sure that it's just a surname-thing; her full name is "Princess Peach Toadstool." Meh, it's easiest to just call her "The Princess" anyways. :E

And not to stray off-topic, but didn't we just have an Eggman vs. Robotnik discussion a few days ago? I distinctly remember posting a reply stating which one I preferred and why; it was one of the rare times that I was able to use the word "asinine."

And the Street Fighter name-switch really messed me up when I was finding character for that MUGEN fighting game engine oh-so-long ago... "Huh? Vega the claw-dude created clones? He doesn't seem like the type to do such a thing..." [referring to something within the Street Fighter Alpha series, I believe; I just remember that it had something to do with Cammy and the sprites were from the Alpha series...]

19. Knux13

Knux13

Member since May 19, 2002 Banned
    I've always liked "Robotnik" more than "Eggman." I quell my mind by thinking of him as "Dr. Robotnik Eggman" while I play the newer games.

Just for the record, people who go out of their way to use the original names of characters from foreign games, when an official translation exists, are stupid. You know who you are... all of you.

20. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    ??????

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.