don't click here

Web Browser Suddenly Changing?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Crasher, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    So this has happened twice today and has never happened before. My whole screen just turned into red and green squares, or to be more specific, my web browser (Chrome) did. They're tiled and I have no idea why it's doing that. Also, my computer made a ticking noise for a bit, but has stopped now.

Currently doing a virus scan, but I'm not sure what'll turn up.

2. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    Could be a video card issue. Hardware acceleration on?

3. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    What are your specs? The general stuff: OS, CPU, GPU, RAM, etc. It's very possible it's a video card issue, but specs always help.

4. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    Specs:
    GPU: Intel HD Graphics Family.
    CPU: Intel i5 Core. 2.5 GHz. It's a 4 core.
    RAM: 4 GB, upgradeble to 6.
    Video Card: Intel HD Graphics Family.

IIRC, I haven't upgraded my BIOS to the new version. I'll do it once my scan has finished. Or should I do it now?

5. SeanieB

SeanieB

Chief Server Monkey Administrator
    San Diego, CA
    Fixing Sonic Retro
    Laptop?

6. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    Yeah, it's around 3-5 months old.

7. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    Sorry for DP but...

I got a screen-cap. Still have no idea why. Reloading the page fixes it.

[​IMG] It's pretty weird TBH. I looked it up and this is recent apparently. This is the 3rd time it's happened in 2 days. It kinda just appears, for no reason at all.

@Afti: Sorry I took a bit long, but yeah, Hardware Acceleration is on.

I'm still quite confused on why it's happening.

Edit: Apparently reloading the page doesn't fix it. If I open it up in a new tab, it does fix :specialed:

Edit2: It just flashed and dissapered. BTW, avast! didn't pick up anything, nor did MalwareBytes. But I'll redo the MalwareBytes one, as it was just a quick scan.

Edit3: Oh wow, that's a third time it's done it D:

8. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    Yeah to me it seems like an issue with your graphics card.

Did you try a re-install? If that did nothing then I'd take it back to where you got it and ask for repairs.

9. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    The problem is, that I got this from the US, and I'm in NZ :l So repairing is out of the question (I'm not sure if Toshiba has a NZ office anywhere actually)

And no, I haven't tried a re-install. Sorry if it sounds stupid, but how do you do that? I've never really decided to go and break open a computer and start seeing what I can do with it TBH.

10. SeanieB

SeanieB

Chief Server Monkey Administrator
    San Diego, CA
    Fixing Sonic Retro
    That's definitely a software issue, There should be a button to press while the machine is booting up, "press X to enter recovery" that will allow you to perform an OS reinstall. Keep in mind that this'll erase the hard drive back to the state it was in when you pulled the laptop out of the box, so back up your stuff.

Some laptops come with DVDs that contain their recovery software, but those are much more rare these days.

11. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    This problem isn't the case here, but my work colleague had an extremely similar problem to yours. Doing a full-system error scan (requires you to restart the laptop) seemed to solve the problem. Although I'm not saying this will definitely work, but it's work a shot before re-installing Windows. It can't hurt.

12. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    It's not your computer, it's Chrome's fault. The same thing started happening to me at work 2 weeks ago. Whenever I was reading news, I'd open articles in other tabs and after going back to the main tab, sometimes it would look just like you've pictured. I'd have to scroll to the top of the page, and it would return to normal. (Since it was a work PC, there was no fancy graphics card, just standard onboard Intel shit.)

Related article:
    https://productforums.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/chrome/MZ0b1gUt4S0%5B1-25%5D

Don't worry about it, it will get fixed eventually.

13. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    Thanks for that. It's pretty annoying, as it happens randomly.