don't click here

Two quick questions, and then a release

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Cinossu, Dec 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    UPDATE. See latest post in this thread. Down there. *points*

---

.. right, these are very quick questions, and after is the release my rom hack to show the world in its current state.

What is the address in RAM used to store whether Sonic is underwater or not? Or is Sonic's Y-position checked with the current water height for that?

And the other, where are the definitions for the Corkscrew 360-degree spin animation? They aren't in the regular set of animation definitions, and I can't find them anywhere. (The frame numbers are 5F to 6A)

---

Enough questions, here be the rom hack. What's changed? Well..

- Sonic has extra running animation, ala Sonic CD.
    - Super Peel Out is added! Up and a button when standing to use it. (There is no charge period as such, so you can let go straight after you press it and you'll release.)
    - A negative ring. Nowhere in the levels, but it's on Emerald Hill Zone's debug list and any other that had only the normal Ring and Monitor previously. What does it do? Well, take a guess. ;P
    - Hidden Palace and Wood Zone are added. Yes, I know they're in almost every single hack now, but I wanted it. :P Super Sonic has a palette underwater in it now, though. Wood Zone is more incomplete than anything, as the tiles will show.
    - The beginnings of "multiple characters", with one frame for the other two semi-complete. You choose on the options screen.
    - To become Super Sonic you HAVE to press a button in the air now, it isn't automatic. (Did this annoy anyone else?)
    - Random palettes and art are different, including Sonic and Tails's palette, the title screen palette, the special stage palettes (including the results screen), the HUD, the title card and a few other things.

Known bugs are to do with the Super Sonic animation frames, Oil Ocean's collision map, and when you get hit "mid-charge" in the SPO you still shoot off. They will be fixed. :P

The cheats have been changed to 01 02 for level select, 03 04 for debug, and 05 06 for 7 emeralds (just to make it easier for testing :P)

Right, here's the rom then..

[​IMG]
    http://cinos.gunsha.com/s2built.zip
    Included is a savestate on the level select with debug and Super Sonic enabled already. The checksum is probably bad, and I doubt this'd run on the real hardware in the state it is right now, but I'll get around to sorting that later.

2. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Ohhh...

NICE!!

I love it so far! If only I knew how to do stuff like that.

Two ideas similar to ones I had....Sonic 1 pallet used for Sonic, and the silver rings. (although mine were worth 5 rings) Where did you find VRAM space for the extra ring graphics?

3. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    After the invincibility stars, there's a space where there are letters from the "Sonic & Miles Prower In" screen. I put them in there. I know that this space is used by other stuff in a lot of levels, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

4. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    Dis haxors roxors meh boxors and makes me want to touch meh coxors.

5. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    There's a byte in Sonic's SST (can't remember which one) which is set when Sonic's underwater. This affects speed underwater as well as the drown counter.

6. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Ah, thanks. I'll look into it.

EDIT: Also, does anybody know if there's a quick and easy way to make an object pushable? Or would it just be easier to nick and alter code from Sonic 1?

7. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Nick it from Sonic 1's MZ pushable block

8. Aurochs

Aurochs

Единый, могучий Советский Союз! Tech Member
    Whatever catches my fancy
    Damn, I was gonna do this... eventually... Oh well.

Byte $22, bit 6 of his status array is set if Sonic is underwater. This seems to be updated every frame.

9. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    Actually, it's a bitfield, not array *runs*

10. Aurochs

Aurochs

Roffle. I was referring to his entry in the OST (which is an array). =P

11. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    I think you mean SST, unless Sonic is about to burst into song when the game reads that data.

12. Sonic 65

Sonic 65

Tech Member
    XDDD

13. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    The difference between a sprite and an object is generally negligible. =P

14. Aurochs

Aurochs

Umm... no. A sprite is a block of no more than sixteen cells that the VDP can manipulate easily. An object is code that controls one or more sprites and defines its interaction with the game environment.

15. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    More different than that even. An object is code that changes RAM values. A sprite is a small movable image.

16. I found a bug. When you exit super sonic mode sonic's palette changes back to s2's.
    Edit:HUH????? who's rahim?

17. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Oh sup rahim.

18. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    The Super Sonic things I know. There's animation bugs, there's palette bugs, and there are a few with the new transformation too. Don't worry, I'll fix them in time. :P

19. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    You. Forget that Techies can view IPs? :P

20. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    *small bump* c.c I've been adding more recently, namely time travel and Mighty/Ray..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Time Travel is only via an item box right now, but it works properly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.