don't click here

This is awesome

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Dec 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    This is pretty damn awesome, it has to be said, though it did annoy me somewhat that I had to download a 124MB RAR when all I wanted was the bloody NSF files. =P Still, I now know what'll be on my car stereo for the next few weeks!

2. VB.NET

VB.NET

United States
    Learning C++
    Imagine if Sega released a Sonic 3 & Knuckles 20th Anniversary Edition in the vein of the Mario Allstars 25th Anniversary Edition- replacing all the 10 ring monitors with 20 ring monitors! :specialed:

You could also pick the original Genesis soundtrack or this awesome NES one!

3. Same here, that didn't make any sense... I wanted to listen to the full songs right away, but had to wait for half an hour (the download didn't even make use of my full connection speed) just because a separate link wasn't provided for the NSFs.

EDIT:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRQAG_jODy0#t=4m0s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsCgQj0_f2c#t=0m12s

Is there a resemblance between these or am I crazy?

4. Spatula

Spatula

too cool for old school Member
    Not surprising. The Master System games had great soundtracks too except for Sonic Chaos.

Composition matters more than hardware.

5. HighFrictionZone

HighFrictionZone

Hi. Member
    Katy, Texas
    Nothing
    Could somebody mirror just the NSFs? I'd rather not download a crapton of MP3s to get at some NSFs.

6. Flygon

Flygon

7. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Fourthed. I don't get why they didn't provide a separate link for the NSFs. Oh well, my internet is pretty fast anyway.

I have to say, impressive work. Even if they cheated by using a few additional channels, all of those songs are awesome, and some of them are actually very accurate, too!

EDIT: Here, have a direct link to the NSFs only. I recompressed the RAR file, too.

8. NomadTW

NomadTW

I ain't gotta impress you fucks. Member
    I downloaded the MP3s.

I regret nothing. So worth it.

9. jman2050

jman2050

Teh Sonik Haker Tech Member
    That Flying Battery arrangement is sooooo good.

10. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    Clicked YouTube link, listened to music, jizzed, downloaded music, jizzed again, and now need new pants.

All in that order.

This is going on my MP3 player.

11. It's already on mine, and I carry spare pants with me. It's just that awesome.

I'm surprised that the tracks sound so similar to their original counterparts, down to the last detail. All that's changed are the instruments, and yet it's still frigging awesome.

12. First of all, let me say what an honor it is to see the overwhelmingly positive response this project has gotten! Thanks everyone!

I'd like to address a few of the concerns I've seen in this thread. Mainly, I'm incredibly sorry that I forgot to include the download link to the NSF files on their own! I had meant to include it in the description when I had first uploaded the video, but it must have completely slipped my mind. I guess forgetfulness is bound to happen after I spent the previous eight hours of the day finishing Desert Palace, Angel Island 2 and the Sonic 3 & Knuckles Staff Roll.

Also, the easiest way to go about playing the NSF on an NES would be to use a Powerpak (you can purchase one here, although the price is a bit steep), and add a simple resistor mod on the NES board. If you bridge pins 3 and 9 on the expansion bay together with a 47K ohm resistor, you unlock all sorts of glorious expansion sounds. Sorry for getting so technical!

If anyone has any other questions they'd like answered, I'd be happy to hear any and all of them.

Glad to be here in the community, guys!

13. Quarterman

Quarterman

Just another day in paradise. Member
    Dude, this is incredible. Easily one of the best, if not the best, 8-bit remixes I've ever heard. An amazing effort.

14. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Ironically enough I'm listening to your compositions right now and I just noticed you finally joined from the front page. :v: Welcome to Retro, and keep up the great work. So how about Sonic 1 and 2 now? ^_^

15. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    It's a pleasure to have the artist himself here with us now. Welcome aboard and keep on making awesome music :v:

16. Hawkz

Hawkz

Listened to it on the front page and came in here to proclaim massive love.

Dude who produced this has a lot of patience.

Going on the iPod for next gym session. Keep up the awesome work.

17. Spindash54

Spindash54

Did you ever wonder how he spins in place? Member
    And with that, I now have new driving music.

18. Haha, thanks everyone. I suppose it does take some patience to track an entire OST, but time really flew by. I do love me some S3K. Your encouraging words mean a lot to me (people actually want to listen to this while they drive? haha!). Anyway, thanks again.

19. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    Hey Dan, why didn't you pick Danoct1 as your username? For that matter, why haven't you invited nicetas_c or Mex over here either?

But I digress, great work! I gotta wonder how you did this - by ear or using the game's original data? Whatever method, it must have been tedious. :v:

20. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    I did notice one minor quibble about the Special Stage tune, but being at work where I can't exactly freely listen to this, you'll have to wait until I get home before I can elaborate. Sorry. :(

Otherwise, quite sexy. Plan on doing the tunes exclusive to the PC version? :P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.