don't click here

Things to mirror

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Black Squirrel, Mar 6, 2020.

1. BSonirachi

BSonirachi

Wiki Sysop
    Quick notice: If anyone has access to Sega Press, then we still need checking for assets related to Sonic Dream Team such as character artwork and get them mirrored on the wiki. Game's been out for at least two months.

2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    If you request access they'll probably give it to you - they did for me!

I must admit I can't really keep up with it all, alongside the 394802349 other jobs I've given myself (and I've run out of time today). But for what it's worth, there is no character art up there, just higher resolution versions of art already on the wiki, and a bunch of screenshots. They don't even have a high quality video - they're just pointing to YouTube this time.

3. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Last time I looked into this they wanted a company (which would be Sega Retro), but also a name and address.

So I just gave up there.

4. Pirate Dragon

Pirate Dragon

Possibly, but ...

https://segaretro.org/index.php?title=File:SG-1000II_and_SK-1100_JP_Pamphlet.pdf&page=3

[​IMG]

In this 1984 catalogue Sega say that "Music File" and "Address Book" will be available soon.

https://segaretro.org/index.php?tit...omputer_SC-3000_Series_JP_Brochure.pdf&page=4

[​IMG]

In the 1985-04 catalogue they say that they have "My Address" and "Music File" and plan to keep releasing games and practical software in the future. Which implies (along with the images) that these two might have released, however, they're not listed in the price list (but neither is SF-7000 software, so that's not definitive). I suspect that they never released as I've never seen any Japanese "Tape Soft" either, but I suspected the same for Italian cassette games listed here until I came across a listing with three - of - them the other day (thanks for already covering Ragni from your compilation cassette elsewhere btw).

5. BSonirachi

BSonirachi

Wiki Sysop
    Well that's unfortunate. There's an official keyart PSD out there somewhere that has the transparent character renders, and I thought it would have been available via Sega Press.

6. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    Excellent. Thanks for that. It's always bothered me that japanese SC-3000 software on tape is such a mystery / non existent. There doesn't even seem to be any homebrew / bedroom coder / indie software like there is in other regions. Was it not really a thing that was done in Japan, or did the SC-3000 just get swamped by the MSX. Was software for the SC-3000 mostly published as type-in programs in books (I'm pretty sure I've seen books).

7. Pirate Dragon

Pirate Dragon

Yeah, they were mainly published as type-ins in Micom Basic magazine (list of games).

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Pirate Dragon

Pirate Dragon

I'm starting to create pages for those type-in games (and to keep on topic, these 1984 issues need mirroring). As these aren't really documented in English they don't have pre-existing transliterations that I can use, and I don't speak Japanese. I found this which transliterates Japanese to romaji, so my question is, will this result in correct transliterations for the wiki?

Edit: The answer was no, but this seems to do the trick as it has a "Wāpuro" setting.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2024
    • List
  9. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2024
  10. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Why not give you a small update on how things are getting along? Here's what I have so far!
    Sonic Colors Ultimate 30th Anniversary Package JP Life in Sonic's World vol.01.pdf
    Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games JP Guidebook.pdf
    Shadow the Hedgehog Saikyou Kouryaku Guide JP.pdf
    Sonic Advance 3 Saikyou Kouryaku Guide JP.pdf
    Sonic Advance Saikyou Kouryaku Guide JP.pdf
    Sonic Adventure 2 Battle Saikyou Kouryaku Guide JP.pdf
    Sonic Adventure 2 Battle Perfect Guide JP.pdf

Still have to figure out how to go about the big map posters.

As you can see, it's not much, but we're getting there slowly. Editing the pages takes about 2-3 hours, downloading them on the other hand sometimes up to 2 days. I have to try on different times at different days.

But I'd say it's worth it. 500 MB is a way more comfortable file size than 20 GB for these kinda things.

Concerning the magazine's jackets, I came up with a "trick" to be more efficient:

1. Rotate and place them over one another. Reduce the opacity to line them better up:
    edit1.JPG edit2.JPG
    2. Next apply a layer mask (use a black-to-white gradient):
    edit3.JPG
    3. Done.
    edit4.JPG

Sometimes it works better than others.

I think you will like the maps.

11. Pirate Dragon

Pirate Dragon

Last edited: Mar 3, 2024
  12. BSonirachi

BSonirachi

Wiki Sysop
    Some of these scans, such as the Sonic Advance 1 and 3 guides, have the back covers in the wrong order - they're around the first few pages in the PDFs when logically they should be the last pages.

13. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    I shall correct it.

14. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I was filling in some blanks on magazine pages, and (re)discovered that a whole bunch of magazine scans are out there online, just not mirrored on Retro CDN. Or maybe they are and aren't linked to Sega Retro. Either way, I invented a new thing: Category:Scans to mirror.

This isn't definitive (I know there's a bunch of Chinese/Taiwanese mags that aren't mirrored), and I haven't checked if the scans out there are actually useful, but basically, there's a fair bit. Most of these are on archive.org - I can't guarantee their contents will be interesting or useful, but it's a gap to fill. That being said, they may have been skipped first ime around because they were crap, so stay vigilant.

There are also tens of thousands of issues that aren't scanned at all - here's a category for that... which may have inadvertently broke Sega Retro yesterday as the wiki tried to updates 48239083029 magazine pages (it's not my fault it's generating thumbnails for no reason!).

15. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    ... or they were weird. Like 100% Consoles.

Scans exist but this magazine is weird - the first three issues were re-released as one "album" at a later date:

[​IMG]
    https://www.ebay.fr/itm/275354998516
    It's that stereotype where the English and French love to hate each other, but you start to wonder if there are external forces in play making French things "awkward" for the English-speaking Sega Retro.

But the joke's on you, President Macron - I'm going to document your nation's gaming magazines anyway!

16. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    This isn't uncommon, and I'm not sure how best to handle it:

https://www.gamereactor.dk/magasin/pdf/

Digital versions of magazines exist, and in Gamereactor's case, the older issues were put online for free.

We've always said that they're no substitute for scans, as we can't guarantee the contents are identical, but... they exist, and we're not catering for them.

I guess step 1 is mirror everything on Retro CDN, but I don't know what the step after that should be.

17. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    I think it would be cool if we had screenshots (with all the malicious ads and social media feeds being cut out) of the pages where the digital versions originate from – something like this, except it's the full page:
    reactor.jpg

Edit: You know what else would be cool? Translations of these japanese strategy guides that I've uploaded over the past few weeks:
    SonicAdventureDXCompleteGuide Book JP.pdf
    SAPerfectGuide Book JP.pdf
    SonicAdventureDXSaikyouKouryakuGuide Book JP.pdf
    SonicAdventureOperationGuide Book JP.pdf
    SA2BattlePerfectGuide Book JP.pdf
    SonicAdventure2BattleSaikyouKouryakuGuide Book JP.pdf
    SA2HeroDarkManual Book JP.pdf
    SonicAdventure2PerfectGuide Book JP.pdf

They seem far more in-depth, feature gorgeous looking screenshots (seriously, I don't remember these games looking that good) and are from an official source. It might be worth taking a look.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2024
  18. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    C-Smash VRS, née Cosmic Smash, is getting a new non-VR entry for the PS5 later this year: C-Smash VRS: New Dimension

https://csmashvrs.com/
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/73d07np9srbbhyo/AAA4uJ4vAKtfQI5RFfhFIL_ja?dl=0

The site has a press kit (which has added more stuff since I scavenged it back in February 2023). I'm going to guess it will add New Dimension stuff at some point, and I'll probably forget to mirror everything. Maybe you won't!

(yes we are all wondering why they didn't just revert back to the Cosmic Smash name)

• List
  19. BSonirachi

BSonirachi

Wiki Sysop
    There are scans for four of the volumes of Compile's Disc Station (magazine) that are within NEC Retro's scope (Vol. 1 through 11 are the ones that cover PC-98 games; Vol. 12 onwards cover Windows 95 so ignore those) that can be found here:

https://archive.org/details/@mdoook

Problem is they aren't PDFs, but are a collection of high-res JPEG images. Like with the Sonic strategy guides I've linked previously, these will need putting together into PDFs.

• List