don't click here

The Sonic X Topic

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by True Dude, Mar 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    That thing Tails was babbling about looked like a plant.

What the fuck is going on in this show?

2. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    I basically lost touch with the show around halfway through season 2 and seeing sprinkles of Season 3. I'm still trying to figure out that old-style hedgehog films from episode 6X...I saw a picture of it, but never saw the episode.

It was fun watching Sonic X back in 2003 before it was dubbed in English. The great thing is that I didn't NEED to understand what was being said to understand what was happening each episode...it was pretty obvious. Even if they spoke in Swahili, I'd still "get" it.

I'm positive we'll never have another Sonic cartoon. Sonic X was our last hope.

3. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER Member
    Germany
    Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
    I retreat my earlier statements that Sonic X is horrible until I have watched all of it again in the original version. Wow, that's just awful. :/

4. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    I haven't watched Sonic X before (even though I have all the jap episodes somewhere), but this is funky. I'm sure this has a lot to do with dumbing shows down so it appeals to more american kids.

5. GHNeko

GHNeko

sega stockholm syndrome Member
    If all this butchering is made to be sutible for american fat ass kids, all I can say is, "Fuck American Kids."

IF they left alot of this untouched, then the kids would grow up on what's better, and maybe realise that the phrases in the games when dubbed by American's can get pretty corny and stupid.

6. Mama Luigi

Mama Luigi

Can't complain. Member
    u mama
    Mystery something game
    Why the fuck is it that 4Kids thinks America can't handle emotion, but other countries can?
    What about Sesame Street? I remember they had an entire episode entirely centered on some guy's death. Unless something changed between that time and now that I don't know about, I'm starting to think Sonic X wasn't changed to make it "suitable".

7. Yuski

Yuski

Dragons, dragons everywhere! Oldbie
    Sonic X from episodes 1 to 52 the edits aren't that annoying (Except to removed some jokes in episode 20 and 39), the english dub for me is indifferent because I like to watch it in my own language or in Japanese, but the musics 4KIDS did completly destroied the show.

Episodes 53 and up have a lot of good scenes cutted. Also, Metarex arc, had some musics from the games and places (planets actually) that remember some games like the Ice Palace episode and the Jungle one. When I watch those episodes they make me remember Sonic OVA and Sonic Adventure (more than that screwed adaptation in episodes 27 to 32)

Maybe won't happen soon, but someday we'll have another Sonic cartoon or a sequel for Sonic X. Even with all those dumb edits made by 4KIDS, Sonic X did well and the proof is always I see new stuff on eBay... Also, a new DVDset will be released in May (having episodes 14 to 26) by FUNimation in USA.

8. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Okay, you know what, I'll say it:

AoStH fucking sucked. The only reason people like it is because they watched it when they were kids. The voices were horrible, the animation was horrible, the story was horrible—everything about it. At least Sonic X draws partially from the game storylines at some point.

9. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    I watched the first episode before the American version came out. I thought it was pretty good, and bought 2 DVDs with English subtitles. Those Chinese pirates' translations are hilarious, but the show quickly lost its appeal.

10. Yuski

Yuski

Dragons, dragons everywhere! Oldbie
    Most of 90's cartoons are only good with nostalgia... I believe, if I was going to watch AoStH or SatAm for the first time now, I wasn't going to have fun with them, because they're really screwed up compared to the original Sonic.

11. Sazpaimon

Sazpaimon

Tech Member
    Story? AoStH never had any story, you must be thinking of SatAM. AoStH focused mainly on a sort of "Roadrunner vs Wile E Coyote" type of thing, rather than any serious plot.

Also Scratch and Grounder were awesome, shut your whore mouth.

Honestly, when I watch a cartoon, I don't say "Wow the animation is really nice!" I watch it to see if it can hold my attention for 5 minutes.

12. Shadow Fire

Shadow Fire

Ultimate victory! Member
    The Land of Darkness
    Sonic: The Lost Land (Series), The GCN (site)
    READ:

If you watch the Japanese version, and then the 4Kids English version of Pokemon, you'll see the music is identical, except for the theme songs. Proof that 4Kids can at least do something right. =P

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Of course, AOSTH was not the best cartoon ever (although it might have been, had they kept the "Man of the year" designs =P) but really, between these two...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    ...I really think the latter is closer to what a Sonic cartoon should be like, just cartoony entertainment that doesn't try to take itself seriously.

I guess I just liked Sonic better when his games (and cartoons) didn't have any drama or angst involved... or almost any story to begin with.

14. Sazpaimon

Sazpaimon

Tech Member
  15. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Judging a whole series by one clip? That's totally justified!

Seriously, what

16. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Clearly, all the AoSTH love comes from Sonic talking about being touched.

In seriousness, comparing Sonic X to AoSTH, the latter had more cues from the games while creating original and somewhat entertaining storylines. Pretty much, it was a show that didn't take itself seriously. Sonic X is loaded with seriousness and at points, especially post SA2 arc, the whole show reeks of a glorified fan fiction. I watched that comparison clip and instead of seeing what was intended, I was left wondering "...Why the fuck is Tails in love with some weird plant girl? What the hell is this bull crap?"

Sorry, but serious Sonic (looking at you, Sonic Next) will never properly work. You can't take a cartoon blue hedgehog seriously.

17. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    One of these days I'll have to look into getting some more Sonic X JP subrips. I had no idea they'd even progressed beyond about the mid 20s, never mind all the way to the end. How hard is it to find subbed Japanese stuff, especially of the later arcs? I only have up to around episode 16 or so.

18. Speaking of which, where did the hell did "Man of the Year" come from? I mean, I know it's from Sonic Jam. But where it Sonic Jam get it from?

19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I didn't mean just that one clip, but the generally more "serious" tone in the series.

About "Man of the year"... I think it was made by TMS, but there's so little info about it that I'm not even sure of that.

20. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    What?

Have you even see either show past some Youtube clips?

Sonic X's animation is fucking terrible after the 25th episode or something. Everyone's fucking anatomy changes every other scene.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.