don't click here

The Sonic Adventure 2 that almost was...

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by BlazeHedgehog, Aug 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jkp

jkp

I just looked through the February issue of ODM, and there was no mention of a branching story line. I'll look through some of the other issues when I'm up to it.

What I did find was rather interesting. I'll quote some passages below:

"Originally scheduled for release this spring, it has been pushed back to fall 2001 (that's the tentative US release date, anyway) to ensure that the team has enough time to make the game everything they want it to be."

"Although only a few characters have been revealed so far (Sonic, Knuckles, and Dr Robotnik), sources tell us that five new characters, pulled from former Sonic games on Genesis, Game Gear and arcade platforms, will also join the party-introducing new styles of game play in the process."

"As usual, of course, the bulk of the play will involve sonic facing off against Robotnik's devious machines and weapons, but in this game, you can expect to see something a little more sinister than good old Dr robotnik as well. That's right: Dark Sonic will indeed make a reappeareance in the series. There's no official word on just what he'll do or how he'll do it, but we're led to expect to see some serious challanges to our favorite blue mascot"

Does #2 mean there was a remote chance Sonic team was looking at characters from Sonic the Fighters or Chaotix?

If #3 is accurate, does that mean they originally planned to have the most playtime with Sonic, with the supporting characters having much less, similar to SA1?

My first post btw.

2. Quarterman

Quarterman

Just another day in paradise. Member
    It would be so badass to play as Mighty in SA2. An interesting find. Certainly opens up room for more theories.

3. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Shadow is upside-down in that logo. :eng101:

EDIT: Ninja'd. :flunked:

4. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    Just going from what everyone said and how there was a giant hedgehog as a final boss (I swear I read this on CulT) it does kinda sound like Heroes to me.

5. Xilla

Xilla

I remember an odd rumour back in 2000 where Knuckles "died" early in the game in an explosion which shattered the Master Emerald and that his levels were set in hell. He would then need to find the shards to bring himself back to life. Ahhh.....crazy crazy crazy days!

Definately remember the Nails the Bat thing though, there was a pic of an early in-game character model floating around at the time which was labeled as such.

6. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Too much matches up. The descriptions of good/evil Chao and a Bat character actually ended up in the finalized game. Those take it out of the realm of "he made it up" coincidence and in to the realm of fact, for me. The angel-like girl could have been Maria, and the "troll with a big nose" could have been Gerald. The creature made out of eyes could've been what eventually became Biolizard. This was, after all, concept art - think of the ridiculous Silver concept art (with the name "Venice the Hedgehog") that was found for Sonic 2006. I'd love to see the concept art this guy was describing.

I think Tails was probably always part of the plot; though most of his gameplay is generally "I'll go see if it's safe," plot-wise, he's pretty integral. He breaks Sonic out of jail, he concocts the whole "fake chaos emerald" idea, etc.

Knuckles, on the other hand, literally does absolutely nothing in SA2's plot. Eggman half-heartedly tries to steal the Master Emerald, and Knuckles, in a completely out-of-character move, willingly shatters it. He then spends the majority of the game re-assembling it again for no discernible reason other than to give his character something to do. He does not do anything of any use to anyone until the last ten minutes of Final Story when he recites the Master Emerald incantation thingy to neutralize the power of the Chaos Emeralds temporarily. It would've made more sense to have Shadow break the master emerald, to give Knuckles a reason to mistakenly go looking for Sonic.

The question then becomes: with new playable characters, how much of the plot was totally re-written to accommodate them?

:v:

However, there's nothing to say that they were only showing those three at first while trying to keep the other half of the roster a secret. Sonic Team fought very hard to keep a lot of Sonic Adventure 2 secretive; it wasn't until Resaurus accidentally included 3D model concept renders for Shadow and Rouge at their toy exhibit one year did Sega and Sonic Team pull back the curtain with this updated version of the "SA2: The Trial" trailer, blatantly naming and showing Shadow directly:

You should also notice that a lot of the footage of Sonic in Sky Rail has been replaced, but not completely taken out. This trailer is showcasing Shadow, Rouge, and Tails for the first time (in addition to the new, far more colorful logo), but it's possible that even at this stage, Sonic still played through Sky Rail.

Nothing, as far as I can see. It looks like they were still working on their stencil shadowing code, though, as Sonic and Knuckles' big heads lead to their whole bodies (and some of Knuckles' fists) being covered in shadow.

UK or North American? Tracking this source down would be great.

The Tenrec part came from the fandom being fandom. Tenrecs are animals related to the Hedgehog that primarily feature red or more commonly yellow markings on their quills.

[​IMG]

Given the color palettes for Shadow predominantly being red, yellow, and black, many fans thought the name Terios the Tenrec just sounded "right", but there's absolutely zero real evidence to suggest Shadow was anything other than a hedgehog.

Going by the earlier assumption that Sonic, Knuckles, and Eggman represent the spectrum of "Good to Evil", Eggman and Shadow probably had connections. Given the supposed presence of what could be Professor Gerald in the aformentioned concept art, Shadow's origin as Gerald's science experiment probably dates as far back as SA2 itself.

If you figure that this was originally a game with three playable characters, SKE were probably separated and playable on their own, much like SA1 where you'd pick just "Sonic". Therefore, having Adventure Fields dedicated to one level seems a bit silly. At most, I'd say two or three. Central City, Space Colony Ark, and maybe Prison Island.

Without knowing the full plot, it's hard to say. Probably just travel, as others have said. Shadow is following Tails in the Tornado, it's not that difficult to just swap a model and have Sonic follow the tornado instead.

Also tough to say, but I personally assume that 2 player was always intended and characters like Shadow and Rouge would've most likely been available there and then ended up being ported to singleplayer when the need arose.

Ah-ha! I knew there was a reason people were wondering if this finally meant Nack would make an appearance. Adds credence to a February 2001 delay, too.

7. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    North American. I left UK just before the DC hit, so...

8. DrHertz

DrHertz

I Live in Your Eyes Member
    Worthing
    Thinking
    Very, very interesting topic!

I remember many years ago now, I must have been about 9 or something, I used to surf the web for anything Sonic related and I found a webpage detailing the new Sonic game (Adventure 2).
    It had a load of early pictures which I've seen about in a few places since and the picture of the awesome black and white logo.
    The thing I remember though is sit stated the game's name was 'Sonic Adventure 2: The Shadow of Light' which I've never heard of since.
    I don't know if that was anything official, but I thought it was a darn cool name!

9. Lyrica

Lyrica

(Formerly: Donnyku) Oldbie
    Pennsylvania
    Wedding Planning
    as far as the secretive bit goes, I just looked though my full subscription of EGM (Jan 2000-Dec 2000) and the only mention of SA2 was in the June issue accompanied by 4 small pictures, Eggman's Torso in the Mech, Sonic in Green Forest, Sonic Running through City Escape, and Sonic with the Chao. in the Dec. Issue, it's not even mentioned in the upcoming releases for Jan or Feb.

10. MarkoMan

MarkoMan

In memory of Dreds... Member
    Queens, NY
    Sonic 2 Turbo
    Knuckles shatters the emerald to prevent it from being stolen. And apparently, the only one that can restore it is Knuckles. Silly move, but smart in a way. Strrraaaaange, isn't it? + - Imagine if he did that in Sonic 3 & Knuckles....  

Knuckles definitely got (tricked into getting) the heroes inside Eggman's base via Death Chamber though. Without Knuckles, there is no eating. Remember that.

11. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Sometimes, they shouldn't listen to fans. If all the stages were only played by Sonic, Robotnik and Knuckles, it would make the story different in some ways. While I could tolerate the Mech stages, the Hunting completely ruined it for me, and I hardly play the game at all for this reason alone.

12. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    there was only 2 things I truly hated about the treaure hunting

Pumpkin Hill
    Mad Space

The rest was tollerable XD

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    The "monster made of eyes" was probably just the Biolizard when he spreads those floating spherical eggs everywhere.

So Fang was probably replaced by Rouge.

Fuck.

14. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Missed a couple words there.

I kinda figured that after the Master Emerald was broken and restored by Knuckles in the previous game, he realized he could use such a power to his advantage in the future as a last resort. Eggman only happened across the M.E. while searching for Chaos Emeralds, and because he guessed he could use it for something, he was just going to take it with him. It wasn't part of Shadow's plan for the Eclipse Cannon though, therefore it wasn't really on the doc's agenda, which was why he just let it go (I mean...his persistence is part of what makes his character so grand, and he didn't know much about ARK at the time, so he couldn't think far enough ahead to foresee its eventual use at the end - in short, he really must not have needed it at the time).

Also, is it just me, or does the line "I'll look into it once I get back to the base", if you're watching the Hero side cutscene, go along with the beat of 'Unknown from M.E.' all too well?

I'm suddenly ready to play some SA2. Might roll around at the speed out sound for a bit before I get going...

How many allusions to that one cutscene can you find in this post?

15. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    This topic is so interesting - I'm re-reading things I'd long forgotten about, as well as learning new things about the game too.

Shit, that would have been amazing! Especially if one of the characters was Nack - I've always, always wanted him to make a comeback.

That is a really interesting concept and certainly one that I'd never heard about until now. I'd love to see an actual picture of that one day. You're probably correct in assuming that it was recycled into Metal Overlord though; maybe they thought the idea would be better suited to a robot character rather than mutating a hedgehog character into that form (presuming the giant hedgehog in question was in fact an altered form of Terios/Shadow)? Still, it makes me wonder how different the plot would have been if they'd stuck with that idea as opposed to Shadow really being a good guy...

16. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    But that seems so... careless, regarding a jewel that's physically bigger than him and holds all sorts of mysterious energies. I mean, regardless of whether or not he could just find the pieces again, what happens to them in the time between him shattering it and him finding a specific piece could be devastating. If you consider that the "Chaos Drives" that power G.U.N. robots are actually reverse engineered from chaos emerald energy, a shard from the Master Emerald of a big enough size could do some crazy things.

I mean, if we are to presume that the entire reason Knuckles is in the desert to begin with is because he chased Rouge there (who no doubt had already stolen the Master Emerald from him), he obviously still cares about it. But then he turns right around and does something very, very, very stupid to it. Stupid enough that it feels like the only reason he did it is so Sonic Team would have an excuse for him to go find them again.

17. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    My biggest beef with Sonic Adventure 2 (even at the time of release) is that they had six characters but only half the different gameplay styles found in Sonic Adventure. Though I didn't find Tails' missions "bad", I think it's safe to say that Robotnik's levels are a bit more polished... as are Sonic's... as are Knuckles'. It's only marginal but yeah I would place money on it only been a three person game at one stage. I do remember reading that Tails might be scrapped in an issue of the Official Dreamcast magazine, but there was no word about Rouge or Shadow. Could have been a five player game.

What's also interesting:
    http://www.textures-resource.com/other_sys.../SA2/index.html
    compare the textures for the spacey/mechanical stages. Lots of stuff is recycled, which although is understandable, it's a lot more than what you see in the original Sonic Adventure. Some look as if they've crashed Star Wars space ships into them but that's another story.

Both Rouge and Tails have stupid car driving levels which may have been tacked on last minute. Rouge's especially, since you never see that car again. They didn't even come up with good names for those stages.

Oh and they recycle boss battles too. Don't forget that.

18. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

About Sonic and Sky Rail, it could report how Sonic reached Eggman's base. The location fits close to Prison Island (from where Sonic escapes) and the pyramid area. In the story, they return to Central City, to watch the moon blow up, find the president to locate where Eggman is, and then go find the base. It's probably where most of the padding and rehashing levels are as well, Mission Street, Aquatic Mine, the two kart levels and Hidden Base, which are all copies of other more important levels. They meet Knuckles there in a clever way as well, but they could meet him anywhere after Prison Island. Since Aquatic Mine is so far away from where the emerald broke (and just an indoors Pumpkin Hill, close to all objects are recycled) it seems more like a padding level than an original one.

Well... Rouge = female Nack.

The monster with lots of eyes... the Biolizard, probably.

[​IMG]

FinalHazard had a few eggs as well.

19. Mr. Pictures

Mr. Pictures

Oldbie
    All of this makes me wonder how many major changes go into a Sonic game before the final product is completed? From what I've read, SA2 seems like it would have been an entirely different game.

It would be neat to have seen some of the original concept art.

20. synchronizer

synchronizer

1. An employee of either Electronics Boutique, Babbages, or Gamestop visited some sort of retailers conference, where he viewed and later described several pieces of Sonic Adventure 2 concept art. Among them were Good/Evil Chao, a character he called "Nails the Bat", several pieces of concept art for "Dark Sonic" showcasing everything from full-body scars to a missing eye and missing appendages, an angelic-like girl, a troll-like creature with a big nose, and a monster made up of thousands of eyeballs.
    2. A magazine was given a preview of Sonic Adventure 2 where they described a branching storyline system, where at several points in the plot the player would be offered a choice in what they wanted to do. The given example was Sonic trapped in a submarine; the player was given the option to attempt piloting the sub to safety or to pop the hatch and take their chances in the water. This magazine also stated that "Chao would play a larger role in the game."
    3. That Sonic, Knuckles and Dr. Eggman were originally the only playable characters until outcry regarding the status of Tails and Amy Rose forced them to go back and rework the game a little bit.
    4. Early versions of Sonic Adventure 2 featured Adventure Fields like the original Sonic Adventure.

(Haven't read everything so sorry if this was brought up but...) Perhaps this very concept was reused for "Shadow the Hedgehog" which also tried taking a lot of cues from Sonic Adventure 2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.