don't click here

THE KEN PENDERS CHRONICLES: a man you Ken DePenders on

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The KKM, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    Oh god. It's like something a 10 year old would make after finding how how to use layers and transparency in photoshop for the first time. I can't wait to see where this goes, because its going to be one hell of an embarrassing pain train.

2. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    What is most horrible, is he makes money from this kinda thing while I make jack sh*t

it's even lost simple fundamentals like centring your character and making the titles actually legible, which is like, 1st year art class stuff. he can't be doing this unwittingly, I simply cannot believe he can't see this stuff...

I'm sure there will be a huge wave of competent remakes on tumblr very shortly

3. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    WTF, Penders. There is NO composition or coherence to this thing whatsoever, I have nothing to say as far as criticism goes.

It's so bad that you can't criticize it. Does he have any shame in Photochopping his images together? Most artists make their own textures at least, if they're not going to do the whole drawing from scratch, and even then, much of it is thoughtfully painted together so everything blends cohesively.

I second Dark Sonic's thoughts of him being a troll, this is too bad for someone like him. He can do far better than this from scratch, I've seen examples of his work before he started writing for Sonic comics.

I second everything in this post, and it's giving me lots of ideas for swimwear with my own female characters. God, most of these suits are so adorable, forget skimpy bikinis. :v: I'd wear some of them myself if I were female.

Whether Penders' artwork is a wreck or not, he totally missed out on the squee train there. It would've been much better than reinforcing the bad furry stereotypes for people passing by his stand at conventions.

4. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    First thing that came into mind:
    [​IMG]

5. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Oh god, I laughed until I choked. I'm seriously having trouble breathing now.

This man...this man....

6. Tylinos

Tylinos

Well, uh... It's only a first draft, so I can't really call it horrible. First drafts almost always see improvement.

[quotename="Ken Penders"]While the art and text are a lock, I consider this a 1st draft of the cover layout to TL-SC graphic novel.[/quote]

Oh. It's only the layout that's a first draft, not the art and text. Alright, then. Still going to comment there anyway. (Though not bothering with Lara-Su, since her outfit's been talked about to death.)

Taelor's suffering from some pretty bad foreshortening on his legs, unless we're supposed to assume he just has a really thick torso plate. The wrist on his outstretched hand is also twisted in a way that looks like it should make it unable to attach to his arm.

The shattered pictures in the background do not fit in with the flow of the rest of the picture at all and just looked tossed in there. They clash with the actual background and clutter up space, making everything look crowded. This could be at least somewhat fixed if they were made the actual background by themselves, without outer space being there, and meshed with each other better. Also, "minor-character" Praetorian is still the second-largest thing on the cover.

The ship punching a hole in space is entirely unnecessary. It looks like a case of trying to throw multiple scenes from the story together on the cover, and it doesn't work here. The cliff doesn't fit in either, but I'm just going to assume that one's at least a stock placeholder.

As for the text, no real thoughts on the title at the bottom. But the "Shattered Tomorrows" part looks...off. I think the problem I have is that the two words use completely different fonts. The "Shattered" looks kind of cool (but a little hard to read), while "Tomorrows" uses horribly generic font. Also, putting it at the top in slightly larger text than TL-SC makes it look like the series title instead, and TL-SC the subtitle.

7. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    I didn't know first drafts were usually kind of like this, but wow, I was hoping for more thought than that. :specialed: I sometimes piddle with background sketches for hours before I'm happy, but I'm not satisfied until I have the composition I want. It's so easy to make something that looks too dull or too busy. The text was cluttered to the point that I first read "Dimensions" out of "Tomorrows", eww.

I personally wouldn't have been proud to show a draft until it looked alright first. Has the excitement of sharing every little thing online not worn off for him yet? I imagine that's the case here, rather than him slapping together the worst tentative thing he possibly can so he could get on with the comic panels themselves.

8. Retroman

Retroman

9. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    I actually didnt know he sued Bioware :v "it involves echidnas therefore your using my work"

Speaking of that movie pitch, did anyone save it? Or did Penders go on a DMCA brigade on ALL of youtube?

Maybe its on vimeo *goes to check* sadly nope. Didn't happen.

shitty that he did that anyhow, considering 3 copyright strikes = permanent channel takedown on Youtube. Inconsiderate cunt.

Unless you have zero artistic ability, no, first drafts are not like this. They're never like this. This is a collage of seperatecut out images devoid of any co sistency or relation to each other, attempted to all look part of a unified whole. Lara's hair is actual human hair (by the looks of it) pasted onto her Predator esque skull. There's no identifiable focal point in the piece, and even if this IS his first draft that is one of THE FIRST THINGS YOU THINK ABOUT when working on a design, a cover or whatever. His composition doesn't exist. Oh, and it doesnt help his words look like 4 different Microsoft Word Art pieces slapped together. There's no sense of anything having place. It's all just ill conceived bullshit. Like I said, this is only something someone with no artistic ability would do as opposed to an underdrawing sketch.

In which case, this is EXACTLY something Penders would put out.

10. trakker

trakker

It's poor form, if I spend 5 minutes reusing my old art, and juggling it around for about 5 minutes, I get this.
    [​IMG]
    That's a "draft" cover image, central main character, with other stuff distributed more obviously to the background, plus clearer title, took like, zero effort XD

11. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I struggle to even read "Shattered Tomorrows" on Penders' cover. How the hell did the man make a living as an artist for so long?

12. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Why did he use a photo of a waterfall on the bottom? Is that normal in 'first draft' designs?

13. Tylinos

Tylinos

Ken's put up the final version of the cover art, and it's...the same exact thing, minus the text.

http://www.kenpenders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2687

14. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Nope, apparently it's just a lazy artist.

15. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    Why should I have expected any better? This is going to be an interesting disaster. Looks like he might've listened to some criticism about the font, at least. :specialed:

16. NioZero

NioZero

ConcepciĆ³n, Chile
    Tornado Sky Fighters
    WTF!!!

Tell me there isn't a disease or something because I really don't think any normal person will consider this good...

17. trakker

trakker

Hell, even centring Lara makes it look better (doesn't make it look good, just marginally better)
    [​IMG]
    He know where the dodge and burn tool's are, but not the crop? =P

18. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

So he took the font criticisms into account..by just deleting the text? Gotcha.

19. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Maybe it was a placeholder?...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FopyRHHlt3M

20. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Oh for fucks sake. Tell me what the bikini and the shitty waterfall is a metaphor for, please.