don't click here

The internet lies: cheat code edition

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Black Squirrel, Jul 9, 2022.

1. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Professional Electromancer Oldbie

My perspective on this as someone who has written Atari ST demos and written cross platform atari st/amiga stuff -- C can be a very thin wrapper for m68k programming, and I've used C like this many times to write "near-assembly." This looks a lot like that, because of the way they directly bang registers from the C code. I would say there is a very good chance what you're seeing is the actual original atari ST source.

Second, the very thing about the Atari ST is that it's not exotic hardware. The entire point of the Atari ST was that it was a 68000 hooked up to a TV, essentially. Everything on the ST was software driven. It had no video chip, really. This made the ST a great starting point for when you wanted to port things to serpate machines. The ST would use 68000 traps to jump to drawing routines bundled with the ST ROM, but it was all running directly on the 68000. So when you want to, say, make a game for the ST and Amiga, where the difference is essentially that the Amiga uses custom chips for its video while still using the same CPU, you'd write an interface to map drawing routines to the other hardware. It's kind of like how you approach Doom ports, where basically only 6 files need to be platform specific and the whole game runs.

If you were putting an ST game on the Saturn, it'd be a snap. It's not emulation, the Saturn has a 68000 of it's own. You'd just need to modify the interface to map the correct old software-driven ST routines to the appropriate Saturn hardware. It's not quite as hard as it sounds.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2024
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Bobblen

Bobblen

Funny thing is, I mention over in my sega pc thread about the nv1 versions of pdragoon, daytona, vcop and vfighter. I completely forgot about them here. No emulation solution at this time, so I can't try them. Very cool that you have real hardware!

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Well I guess if it's a hidden feature - Panzer Dragoon Zwei/Hidden content

4. Bobblen

Bobblen

Started doing the Bubble Symphony high score easter eggs. A crash course in which Taito games have been ported to Sega systems. How did Sega manage to not end up with a version of Arkanoid anywhere!?
    Bubble Symphony/Hidden content - Sega Retro

5. GoldS

GoldS

Oldbie
    USA
    Do the "Bunny" and "Girl" high score names (Or any of the other ones on that table) work in the Saturn version?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2024
  6. Bobblen

Bobblen

Just gave Bunny a quick go and yes it does (including changing score name to LUCKY). It's a terrific port, I suspect arcade perfect (or as close as can be expected).

I've been messing with Saturn Bubble Bobble as well, and kinda wish Ving had been the devs for that too, although they probably had the actual source code this time around unlike with Bubble Bobble as discussed above. No super mode hurts it as it means you can't even properly finish the game, but it's also things like the bonus item generation using completely different rules and the air currents / bubble behaviour being different.

upload_2024-4-29_15-24-38.png

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Come on guys, use the edit button if you've literally just made a post. I've merged 6 posts together in this thread alone from the last 24 hours.

8. Bo102010

Bo102010

Here are some new ones for Gex!
    https://32bits.substack.com/p/under-the-microscope-gex
    • Main level select: (Holding R at the overworld pause screen) Left, Right L, Start, Left, A, Y, A, Up, Y
    • Planet X level select: (Holding R at the title/mode select screen) Down, Right, C, Right, Right, L, Start, Left, A, Up, Right, L
    • Full credits: (Holding R at the title/mode select screen) C, Left, Up, Right, Left, Right, Down, Down

• List
  9. Bo102010

Bo102010

I put this one out to the Twitter world, but no ideas yet:

The code was not at all clear, unfortunately!

10. Bo102010

Bo102010

Another minor one: