don't click here

The Eggfan Vault

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by doc eggfan, Dec 9, 2012.

1. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    So did you buy NEO XYX for the Dreamcast, eggfan?

2. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    Yes indeedy. I've got every version (LE and RE) of every homebrew Dreamcast game so far, and have pre-ordered the ones still to come.

3. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

ACT
    Oh and all the info on the various regional versions of sg-1000 games has been very helpful. I've been toying with the idea of collecting them all, but now that I can see it's almost impossible, I don't think I'll bother. I'll just be happy with having at least one of each game, regardless of region.

4. Pirate Dragon

Pirate Dragon

I'm trying to collect the European set, but very few ever come up at reasonable prices. The only difference between French and Italian boxes is the Yeno sticker on the back of the French boxes. I've also seen some Japanese versions with Yeno stickers too, I think just the early JP/EN ones, but sticker variants don't bother me too much. There's also the Taiwanese ones, before Aaronix manufactured their own they seem to have put stickers on the Japanese ones and included a Chinese manual, good luck finding any of those though. Not long after Yeno abandoned the SC-3000 they started distributing Epoch's Super Cassette Vision, it's a lot simpler to collect for as it only released in Japan and France, and they tend to come up when I'm searching for French SC-3000 stuff anyway :).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

ACT
    I don't think I've ever seen a European SG-1000 game come up on ebay, but perhaps they don't show up on ebay.com.au. I'm pretty sure I have a complete set of John Sands (cart) releases, but I am uncertain about some of the later advertised 'coming soon' releases, such as Flicky. Even if they did reach our shores, I can't be sure if they were repackaged in a John Sands box or if the bilingual Japanese release just found it's way to store shelves.

6. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    there you go

at the moment it's the only auction across all the ebays of the world. They're extremely rare and usually turn up in France.

cassette software is worse though. At least we know what we're looking for with cartridges - I came across these two gems yesterday

http://I.imgur.com/Ugq8ZyP.jpg
    http://I.imgur.com/2wjAWW5.jpg

Italian software

completely undocumented. No idea what the history is or what's on these tapes.

7. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

ACT
    How can you tell that it's European, is it just the English manual? Sometime the japanese manuals can look like that (japanese on one side, flip it over english on the other).

Yeah, I've seen one or two random italian cassettes styled like that in my time too, missed out on both occassions to snag them.

8. Pirate Dragon

Pirate Dragon

Japanese box has Japanese underneath the English title, New Zealand box has Grandstand above the Sega logo. I already have this one, although not the manual. My cart is different though, has the artwork on it, which complicates things further.

9. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

ACT
    007_James_Bond

Does it matter that I accidentally labelled the manual as _AU instead of _JP? Is there a way to change it without uploading it again?

10. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    "Move"

11. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

ACT
    I learn something new everday

12. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

ACT
  13. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

ACT
  14. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

ACT
  15. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

ACT
  16. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Not quite, but definitely the first good French SC-3000 scans :eng101:

17. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    [​IMG]

I love how grandeous they are about reconciliation software for cheque books. =P Fantastic work as always, Doc.

18. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

ACT
    I just played 'Shootout' for the SC-3000, and was surprised to find that the gameplay mechanics mimic the 'Typing of the Dead' series of games that came 15 years later.

I've always thought that there could be unusual and forgotten gameplay mechanics hidden away in ancient games from the 80's that could be resurrected with modern hardware, and this kind of proves my point.

I'll get some screenshots/videos up at some point.

19. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Interesting, though I suppose it'd make even more sense for the SC-3000 as it has a keyboard built-in, so no need to package a seperate one.

You do wonder just how many games are out there that are unaware they're re-inventing the wheel.

20. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Those sorts of "learn to type" games have been around almost as long as computer keyboards.

My favourite SC-3000 oddball is Empire because it's a New Zealand political simulator, and I don't think there's ever been another one of those. Usually political games go down the "let's invade the world" or "punch Thatcher in the head" route - that one's non-violent!

(spoilers: I have actually looked for modern examples and even attempted to make my own... until I realised that to do it properly you effectively need to make a world simulator)