don't click here

Tech Support: 32-bit apps will no longer run in 64-bit Win7

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Cinossu, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    Well, this is a lovely problem right here.

Been using my laptop just fine, and all of a sudden it restarts itself, for no reason at all. Windows 7 starts back up, and.. programs that should be loading aren't. After a little bit of time, it's noticeable it is only 32-bit applications that aren't running. They appear in the processes list of task manager for a fraciton of a second and then just disappear as if not running.

I'm assuming it's something to do with the WoW64 system Windows uses, but I haven't a clue what to do here.

Help? :s

2. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    Sounds like Windows updated itself. My main computer (this one) uses XP, but my gaming rig runs 7. I could see what's the dealio.

What apps are you trying to run?

3. Sintendo

Sintendo

You could try a system restore.

4. FraGag

FraGag

Tech Member
    Alternatively, try sfc /scannow.

5. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Namo: any 32-bit application. 64-bit apps are fine, but no 32-bit app will run.

Sintendo: no system restore point to use.

Fragag: tried it, says there's no problems.

D:

6. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    Reformat the computer. And grab my old build of xchat for 64-bit Windows if you want to manage to talk on IRC in the meantime, I guess.

7. FraGag

FraGag

Tech Member
    The Windows installation disc(s) has/have a repair option, no? I've never tried it with Windows 7, but I know it worked well with Windows XP.

8. Foxsnipe

Foxsnipe

The OS discs just have a startup repair, in case something prevents the system from loading.

I've honestly ever encountered an x64 system that won't run the x86 applications. You try a chdisk? Beyond that the only thing I can think to try is either trace your steps backwards to see if something recently installed screwed it up, or do a repair installation (reinstall over top of the current system). Your file will remain but programs will need to be reinstalled so they are entered into the registry, etc.

What browser are you using, out of curiosity? Chances are it's x86 unless you specifically chose the x64 version of IE or got an x64 edition of something else.

9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    His UA string says 64-bit IE8, and considering up until yesterday afternoon it was Firefox 3.6 I suspect that's not his normal browser. =P

10. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    This is the problem, right here. I have programs on here I can't reinstall.

I'm using the x64 version of IE to get here right now. The x86 version does as every other x86 program right now.

11. Foxsnipe

Foxsnipe

Since you said the system restarted on its own, something you might try, if you have the time, is doing a fresh install on a second drive (or take an image of your current install) and see if the 32-bit apps that are failing which you can reinstall work. This would help identify any possible hardware issue. You can always revert to your previous install with the primary drive or restore from the image.

Beyond that, I really don't know. If it's software, it's one heck of a rare muckup. If it's hardware, it's probably either RAM or CPU. Maybe run some benchmarks/stress tests?

12. FraGag

FraGag

Tech Member
    I wonder if there are any helpful messages in Windows's error logs (Event Viewer in Administrative Tools).

13. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    I have a request of someone.. can someone running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit rar/zip up some files and upload them? From X:\windows\system32, wow64.dll, wow64win.dll, win32k.sys and wowreg32.exe, along with ntdll.dll and wowreg32.exe from X:\windows\syswow64 ?

14. Sintendo

Sintendo

15. HighFrictionZone

HighFrictionZone

Hi. Member
    Katy, Texas
    Nothing
    Unfortunately, I only have Windows 7 Home Premium, but I can't imagine that they'd re-write the wow64 subsystem between Ultimate and Home, right?
    Get it here

16. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    XD; I didn't expect so many replies with files.. thanks guys, and to Polygon Jim too who PM'd me the set. I thought a file replacement of the wow64 stuff might do something, even just break win7 because of unsigned files.. nothing. No change.

I'll be giving Microsoft Tech Support a try on the phone tomorrow, but it looks like I'll be wiping this thing clean. I can keep all of my files, so that is no problem. It's more programs that are going to be a pain.. oh well.

17. Foxsnipe

Foxsnipe

Good luck. Maybe sure to test periodically as you reconfigure/reinstall things in case the problem crops up again so you don't ultimately waste too much time.

18. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    SO, it ended with a complete clean reinstall of Windows. Called up tech support, they suggested a "repair install" (ie. install as update again), which also didn't work (winpeshl.exe could not run on restart, suspecting system files on the already-existing Windows installation were interfering), so they said "bye bye files~", and, yeah. :>

19. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    How bad's the overall situation look in terms of applications then?