don't click here

Streets of Rage 3

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Toasty, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Xilla

Xilla

Well the city seems pretty undamaged despite being hit by a nuclear blast in the opening sequence so that makes sense!

There's an unused voice sample in BK3 - it's another version of "Grand Upper", only it seems to have been voiced by the same guy who did Shiva's "Final Crash".

2. Glisp

Glisp

That one weird guy that does stuff. Member
    Bloomington, IN
    None at the moment I'm afraid.
  3. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    The thing is, Glisp, the Japanese version of "Laxine" would probably end up being something like ???? or ????, depending on whether they were treating it like a loanword or not. Both say "Rakushin". So yeah, ICEknight has a point there, at the very least.

4. Toasty

Toasty

BulbaSAUR! Member
    Um...okay. So they changed it to "Soul Fire" from something even less coherent?

I don't even know why I read the rest of your post to be honest. "THATS SO GAY LOL!" is something I expect a 12 year old to say, and I rarely care what little kids have to say about anything.

...Okay, and?

Wow, they changed his name. Big fucking deal.

Again, big fucking deal. How does this prove they wanted to "make an entirely new game" when all they did for this one was change a few colors around? It doesn't affect gameplay at all and it's just something weaboos who prefer everything japanese bitch and moan about.

I can say that I care so little about the storylines in all the SOR games that I don't even remember what they are. I always skip every cut scene because I DON'T CARE. Oh, and how dare they change that awful "Galsia" engrish name to something a little more sane like "Garcia" or Victy to "Roo" (you know, as in KANGAROO, WHICH IS WHAT HE IS)

I actually did stop reading your post, because it consists of whining and bitching about stuff they changed that nobody cares about (unless you're a weaboo, then you might care.)

Also, only real men play SOR3 instead of BK3.

5. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Blaze's special in SOR2 and BK3 is called the KIKOU SHOU which oddly enough would become one of Chun Li's Super Combos in Street Fighter Alpha. (or Street Fighter ZERO for you politically correct japanesque gamers :P )

6. Glisp

Glisp

Bloomington, IN
    If you really don't like me or other people pointing out the game's obvious flaws then Why did you make this thread? The only reason I would ever want the US version of SOR 3 is because its worth a small fortune. I probably wouldn't play it as I went through it at least once.

I don't have any real problem with them removing Ash, the point I'm getting at with this is that they changed stuff in the game without any real reason other than the fact that they were too lazy to hire a translator and that they felt like the game was released in Japan incomplete.

Its not just weeaboos who care about this you know. Hardcore Streets of Rage Fans do. If you don't care about this then you aren't a hardcore SOR fan. 90% of the SOR fans will tell you how they feel about the censorship that was mostly uncalled for and not needed. (minus the Ash character and perhaps the scantily clad the female characters were wearing.)

As I may have previously mentioned, I support censorship to a point. However, when things that don't have any particualar reason to be changed are changed then that pretty much ruins it for me.

I'd love to have Bare Knuckle 3 with SOR 3's difficulty level but still keeping everything. That would be awesome truly. Hopefully once rom hacking for these two games has been improved, perhaps it will be possible some day.

Me hating the censorship has nothing to do with me being a weeaboo. It just so happens that Bare Knuckle 3 has this and it was removed from the US version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0vKiwKvGcU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz0g8JuLH5Y...feature=related

Try accessing those in Streets of Rage 3 and you'll get garbled graphics and game crashes. SOA removed them. (though most likely because they had no real pupose.

However they did somehow manage to miss this iirc correct me if I'm wrong: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKotcTC4HE4

7. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Piss off. His original shirt colors were awesome and there since the first game. Doesn't make any of us "weaboos" for prefering them.

8. Glisp

Glisp

Bloomington, IN

Also, you forgot to mention that his originalshirt colors were iconic to the series as were all of the other character's outfit colors. Actually "GRAND UPPER!" Was pretty Iconic too for that matter. I swear, SOA had one of the worse localization teams possible in 94 and 95. Their censorship almost reminds me of 4Kids Censorship to television today in the grounds of being uncalled for censorship.

To be honest with you Toasty, I hate the Japanese people. They all seem like arrogant snobs to me. I just like some of their gaming products better because they are how the games were originally intended to be. If I hate Japanese people, then how does that make me a weeaboo?

9. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I found it quite odd that Axel was walking around wearing Adam's clothes, in retrospect.

10. Toasty

Toasty

BulbaSAUR! Member
    You aren't stating flaws, you're stating differences. I wasn't sure if you were just saying what was different about the games at first, or if you were saying the JP version was really better because they changed some things around. I went overboard with a lot of what I said, but I still stand by what I said about some of the changes. Is it really that bad that Axel now says "Bare Knuckle" instead of "Grand Upper?" The only problem I see with that is it makes it inconsistent with SOR2. Although I don't use Axel, I can say it truly does not bother me. Blaze shouts incoherent phrases in SOR2 and BK3, while she clearly says "Soul Fire!" and "Terra Shield" in SOR3. Really now, would you honestly prefer her to say some Japanese phrase instead of something in english? This is why I went overboard; it's just something that's totally not worth insulting SOR3 over.

[​IMG]

My dog Axel Stone Rose and my cat Phoenix Blaze would like to have a word with you!
    [​IMG]

Do you realize how much money I spent to play the entire series? I paid $40 for Bare Knuckle 3, $15 for Bare Knuckle 2, and risked screwing up my Genesis to play them.

I agree to a point. The things I agree on are changing their clothes around (gender stereotypes vs. 80% of the game's enemies being mexicans...), but it doesn't affect the gameplay so it's not worth complaining about. The difficultly is somewhat of an issue, the game can get incredibly frustrating (read: Roo's broken spinkick doing 50% damage) but they did make up for some of it by letting you take MUCH less damage from using your special attack when the bar isn't completely filled. I literally die 2-3 times on stage 3 in Bare Knuckle 3 while I can go through it without dying at all in Streets of Rage 3, and it's all because that assraping from BK3 was fixed. Yamato was given way too much life in SOR3, even though he's piss easy, there's only so much you can do against him when he has 9 lives. Jet is the hardest boss in the game, with five lives and already being super hard. I actually died a whole continue on him once.

I thought they made a patch for the game, or was that something else? I could never get that patch to work.

In SOR3's defense, the levels are not complete, nor are they accessible in either game. This is something disappointing about both versions, not just SOR3. I'd love to see the completed motorbike stage as well as the other removed levels from stage 6. SoA changed stuff around and most likely removed the stage because what you said, it has no real purpose.

I apologize for being rude about what I said, but you have to agree, you were mostly just pointing out differences between the versions rather than stuff that was actually wrong for them to change.

11. Heh, mine's the original 6-Pak, so my Golden Axe has two player. =D

12. Toasty

Toasty

BulbaSAUR! Member
    I just beat Bare Knuckle 3 for the first time in Very Hard mode, and wow, that was nothing compared to Streets of Rage 3 on Normal mode, let alone Hard mode (SOR3 has no Very Hard mode). I ended up with 670000+ points or something and 0 lives. I didn't even continue ONCE. If I had died that last life against Neo X I would've had two more continues to spare.

Something I'd like to complain about is how ridiculously hard the bulldozer level is in BK3. I lost two lives there and started out with full health. I'm glad they fixed that bullshit in SOR3. Also, there were fucktons of enemies in BK3's very hard mode, yet I ended up doing way better than I usually do in SOR3 normal mode.

For the bosses Shiva and Break (Axel) were significantly harder in BK3's hardest mode compared to SOR3 normal. Mona, Lisa, Yamato, and Neo X were significantly easier. Jet is hard and obnoxious no matter which version you're playing.

That's pretty pathetic...

13. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Not to be off topic Toasty, but OH MY GOD YOU HAVE A BEAGLE! :D :D :D

14. Glisp

Glisp

Bloomington, IN
    They should have put a mania mode in BK3 like BKII and SOR 2/II have.

Interestingly enough, I'm surprised by what you said about the Bulldozer stage as SOA made it significantly harder than what it was in BK3. in BK3 it only takes one hit for the Bulldozer to retreat. In SOR 3 it takes multiple hits.

Also, there is an SOR 3 beta drx released back in the February 2008 release that still has Axel in his original colors from BK3. That's really the only difference in the beta though. Its just a US version prototype mind you.

Also, it turns out that the default difficulty levels were moved up one when the game was localized. That means that BK3's Very Hard mode is the equivlant to SOR 3's Hard mode. This is supported because if you hack Save states or something else in SOR 3, you may be able to see a Very Easy mode that's not available normally. I've seen it before.

Also, if you view the rom in a hex editor, there is a text block just after the text from the final cutscene that says this:

Axel Stone is strong. I am a boy. I love you. Fuck you.
    Go home. Let's fight. It is a pen. I miss you. Why don't you know. She
    is my son. Moon Friends Cotton love Last chance

Its followed by Japanese words and various repetitions of these words. Source: X-Cult

This is in the US Rom Btw.

15. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Sounds like the text for an easter egg cutscene... Somebody try pressing all the possible button combinations during the ending sequence. =P

16. Toasty

Toasty

BulbaSAUR! Member
  17. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    So, uh, you're saying that SOR3 is better because the only people who like the other two games, or BK3, are nostalgia faggots, weeabos, and pansies?

And yet, you're whining about how hard it is to break through a wall? :eng101:

18. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Krisp, in BK3 you don't need to use the super attacks in order to stop the bulldozer.

19. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    For what it's worth, I don't mind the voices in SoR3. You can't really tell what they're saying in the original clips. (Back in the day I used to think Axel was saying RENT THE CAR in SoR2 =P) Plus, Bare Knuckle is a clever reference to the Japanese title of the series, which I thought was cool.

20. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    [​IMG]

This is all I hear now. Fuck you.