don't click here

Started hacking - need a little help and advice

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by amphobius, Feb 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    Hello everyone, I recently started hacking and need a little help.

What I currently have done is add the spin-dash to Sonic 1. However, I want to change Sonic's art and pallet, plus change level names and pallets. I'm a bit confused of what I have to do - the programs freak out when I change it. Sonik Sprite is a bit useless - all it gets is black shit. ESE II doesn't change stuff either. Level select also got fucked up too.

I also am planning of porting Sonic 3's final boss to Sonic 1. Care to give me some advice on how to do this?

Flame ahead. Kinda used to it anyway :P

2. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Are you trying to edit a ROM that you've already compiled? You can't do that—the data is all shifted, and those programs won't be able to detect the change.

If you're using a split disassembly, you should pick up SonED2. You can still edit sprites using SonMapEd as well, but you'll need to edit them externally and use the import feature.

3. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    If you edited the ASM code to add the spindash, built it and tried to edit the new ROM, of course it'll fail. All addresses have changed. Those programs are designed for non-ASM modified games as they rely on absolute addresses rather than source code.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.