don't click here

SonMapEd (Sprite Mappings Editor)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Xenowhirl, Dec 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. [​IMG]

Do I have to change the colour of Espio's black to a lighter shade so it isn't transparent?

2. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Just don't use color index 0.

3. Varion Icaria

Varion Icaria

He's waiting.... Tech Member
    S4: Cybernetic Outbreak
    A color cannot be the same as Index 0 or else you get transparency, I usually turn the index 0 to 255,0,255, it usually keeps things in line.

4. Varion Icaria

Varion Icaria

He's waiting.... Tech Member
    S4: Cybernetic Outbreak
    Edit: Nevermind it's working now.

5. [​IMG]

How do I fix those numbers? I really can't figure it out.

6. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Wagering a guess here, but isn't the sprite too large? I think that's the main reason no one's ported Vector yet.

I do approve of any and all Vector hacks though

7. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
  8. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    Specifically, the DMA routine in VBlank needs altering. The number of tiles for the player sprite is fixed.

9. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
  10. Xenowhirl

Xenowhirl

Tech Member
    Another bump, because I dealt with this:
    It's not 'fixed' by default because that's a feature, but check the image import settings for a new option.

11. Xenowhirl

Xenowhirl

Tech Member
    I added 2 new features in SonMapEd 1.04.

1: Rotate Sprite 90 Degrees CCW
    The most obvious application of this feature is to create mappings for the horizontal and upside-down walking sprites used in Sonic 1/2/3. This changes the mappings/dPLC positions and size flags, moves the tile art around to match, and rotates the pixels within the tiles. If any other sprites use that same art, it gives the rotated sprite its own section of art data so as to not screw up those other sprites.

2: Duplicate Sprite and Tiles Together
    When you want to import an image into a new sprite, now you can use this to duplicate an old sprite into new tiles instead of needing to create all the new mappings again before importing.

12. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    I love you Xenowhirl <3

13. Xenowhirl

Xenowhirl

Tech Member
    Tweaker was saying it would be nice if he could change existing tile pieces without adding new ones. I don't see how it's that much easier, but I added a way to do it anyway: hold both Ctrl and Shift and click on a pattern on the top-left to change the piece's size, or a tile on the bottom to change the piece's graphics. You must first select an individual piece using ' and ; unless the sprite has only 1 piece in it.

So... new version, again. 1.05.

He also alerted me to my startling lack of "formal documentation". Since writing documentation is pretty much my favorite activity (or not), I may have some of that ready before the next release.

14. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Damn awesome/useful new features. :P

Thanks!

15. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator

*is speechless*

16. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Ok, there is a pretty big glitch in this new version. Just start loading tile graphics from a rom and instead of clearing the current graphics and loading the new, it just adds it to the top of list. It leaves all the art from the previous file there...

17. Xenowhirl

Xenowhirl

Tech Member
    Are you sure? I tried loading tile graphics from the rom extracter and I also tried loading the whole rom as a tile graphics file, and the old art was cleared as usual.

[After further discussion with SMPT, it seems the only problem is that some of the offsets for the rom extracter in offsets.txt extend past the end of the art in question. So it's not a problem in the program, much less in the newest version of the program.]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.