don't click here

SonLVL

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by MainMemory, Feb 7, 2011.

1. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    If by format, you mean compression, then yes. almost everything can have a compression format by valuecmp=compression, like artcmp=Kosinski. Supported compression types are Uncompressed, Nemesis, Kosinski, KosinskiM, Enigma, LZ77.

2. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    Well, as I stated I got it to work in the normal obj.INI file, however this is what I am ending up with:

[​IMG]

Kind of hard to work with an invisible image when I should be able to see it. :(

3. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Without the art and mappings files themselves, all I can really do is say that the INI appears to be properly formatted.

4. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Well, assuming that SonMapED saves the art and mapping correctly (since they work in game), and I have used both uncompressed and nemesis in attempt to make them show up, I am stumped. I might be sending the art/mappings to you soon if I cannot get this to work.

Edit: I can get other objects to show up just fine with more testing, it seems to just hate this specific object.

Edit 2: I got everything to work, and I am honestly loving this editor. If you can get in the tile editing power of SonED2 (some sort of built-in paint for art and solidity) and some easy way to import art (from BMP, PNG, etc), I will surely drop SonED2 like it's nothing. I love being able to see the objects as they are in the actual built game, it helps position things so much easier. The fact I can set up a row of rings, align them with each other and grab a selection of them all to drag them to where they are needed has me drooling.

5. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Well, this isn't part of S2LVL, but it'll use the same code as S2LVL:
    [​IMG]

All I have right now is the UI and an idea of how it'll work. Multiple tile/block/chunk/palette files will be exported as a merged file, and I'm hoping to be able to do some things like converting S2/3K rings <-> S1 ring objects, automatically converting similar objects into their counterparts (like Buzz Bomber <-> Buzzer).

Of course, once I had finished the UI and started thinking of all this stuff, I realized I still have no clue how collision works <_<.

6. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    That's neat and all, but what practical purpose could it serve? This isn't a challenge, I'm genuinely curious.

7. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    I suppose if somebody wants to switch a hack to a different game. Mostly I just wanted something better than the Esrael's converters.

8. Alriightyman

Alriightyman

I am back... from the dead! Tech Member
    Somewhere in hot, death Florida
    0101001101101111011011100110100101100011 00000010: 0101001100000011 01000101011001000110100101110100011010010110111101101110
    This would be very useful. I have been considering (in the distant future) using S3K's Level Layout Format to make use of larger levels(I'm assuming that's one of it's features). By the way, if you are interested in any new ideas, it would be cool if for S2LVL have an option to work with different layout formats as well. Such as using stock Sonic 2 with S3K style layouts. Maybe a Layout Format option in the .ini files?

9. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Now S2LVL can have Sonic 1 layouts with Sonic 2 chunks, Sonic CD objects and S3K rings. Just add datatypefmt=version for each level.

datatype can be one of:
    • tile8
    • block16
    • chunk
    • layout
    • palette
    • objects
    • rings

version can be one of:
    • S1
    • S2
    • S3K
    • SKC
    • SCDPC

These also control the default compression used for each type. The main version setting sets the default formats, and also the mappings format, and the title bar.

10. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    [​IMG]

LevelConverter is available on the SVN. It currently supports converting all data between S1, S2 and S3K. It currently converts rings and monitors, all other objects will be deleted if "Convert known objects only" is checked, or left as-is if it's not.

11. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Alright, I mastered adding objects in this. However another problem has surfaced.

I went into the program, made some layout changes and saved. I open the built game to a mess of scrambled art.

Thinking I did something wrong I go back into the editor, art shows up fine. So I try to resave, build the rom. More scrambled art. Thus I attempt again to reopen S2LVL, only to be presented with an error.

Here is the log file:
    What's up with all this? Level loads fine in SonED2, but no longer loads in S2LVL.

12. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Can you save the level in SonED2 and have the art show up ingame?

Both of those problems could be a bug in KENSSharp (the second definitely is).

13. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Yes, loading the level in SonED2 works just fine and the art is all there, and after saving with SonED2, the built game works just fine.

14. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    [​IMG]
    S2LVL can now edit collision indexes (on the Block tab of the Tile Editor) and view solidity paths. Only the S2 SVN INI has been updated so far, and I'm stuck on the GUI for solidity editing.

15. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    I've managed to cut the load time to 1/4 of what it was, and fix the graphics corruption on Linux.
    [​IMG]
    But it still doesn't do transparency correctly.

16. TheBetaFox

TheBetaFox

Product in betatesting
    Bucharest, Romania
    Customizing Ubuntu 10.04
    No objects that I save will work. None. I placed all of them, all of them load in S2LVL, yet none appear ingame. Chunks do appear, though.

17. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Things I did today:
    • Added all Sonic 3 & Knuckles levels
    • Added support for arbitrary number of alternate palettes (MHZ2 can be switched between all three palettes)
    • Fixed levels with invalid chunk references
    • Fixed levels smaller than the editing window
    • Better INI file error messages
    • Now exports FG and BG layouts as 8bpp PNGs, with original palette indexes intact

18. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    I wasn't sorting the objects by X position. They should appear fine now.

19. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
  20. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Neat that you added the build and run option to the program, could you explain how it works? :)

Also, I noticed the dates on the files are older than the SVN version, guessing you intended to release this version before? just curious.