don't click here

Sonic Underground Owned by Disney?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Kharen, Jun 22, 2012.

1. I'm going to be honest. I never watched the show when I was a little kid, or if I did, then I simply don't remember it all too much. Anyways, I was flipping through the channel guide on our TV and found that they show "Sonic Underground" on Disney XD early in the mornings. (Too early for me to see it, I tend to sleep in.) The weirdest thing was that the episodes are marked as new, and having been made in 2012. I'm willing to bet that it's just a screw-up on DISH's part, but I didn't know that Disney owned the rights to Sonic Underground.

Anyways, since it happens to be on the air again, anybody still watch this show?

2. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    If I remember correctly, Sonic Underground aired on ABC at some point. ABC is part of the Disney corporation, who also have control of ESPN. In short, it does give Disney the ability to air it on their other channels.

Doesn't seem too startling in hindsight if that's the case.

3. SomeSortOfRobot

SomeSortOfRobot

Mid-Southern US
    http://legendoflucy.com
    Isn't it syndicated?

Hmmm, I guess not.

4. Bartman3010

Bartman3010

Site Staff
    DiC is owned by Disney. So they own everything DiC does since 1995.

5. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    It's cool that another Sonic cartoon is on tv. I wish it was AOSTH though, I'd probably dvr it and watch it later.

6. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Disney XD doesn't exclusively show Disney-owned properties. I've seen a number of '90s WB stuff on there, such as Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: The Animated Series, and Pinky and the Brain.

7. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    This.

For the same reason, SoUnD was shown over here on Diggit, a Saturday morning Disney TV show.

8. Channels can also obtain the right to air a show. They don't have to own the company that produced it.

9. Impish

Impish

Uh no. DiC was repurchased from Disney by Andy Heyward in 2000. DiC was independent from then until 2008 when it merged with Cookie Jar Entertainment (which was formerly Cinar), which is still independent today. In fact they own blocks on CBS, This TV and have a block in syndication. My DVD of SatAM even has the Cookie Jar logo on it.
    Cookie Jar Group
    DIC entertainment

10. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    That doesn't mean Disney doesn't still own some of the stuff DiC made between 1995 and 2000 - which was when SoUnD was made.

11. Do you know if they own any of that stuff, Overlord? It could be either way, honestly. And if Disney doesn't, then it wouldn't be out of the ordinary for Disney to pay Cookie Jar for rights to air it.
    The whole rights "thing" could go either way...

12. Not entirely sure if this is relevant or not, but I remember SyFy Sci-Fi used to show Underground early in the mornings.

13. Impish

Impish

I really think that Cookie Jar owns it and is licensing it to Disney at the moment, or Disney still has some remaining syndication rights while Cookie Jar owns the actual work.

14. Yuski

Yuski

Dragons, dragons everywhere! Oldbie
    Sonic Underground, as well other Sonic Cartoons (including Sonic X) the distribuition is made by Buena Vista International in Europe and South America at least.

15. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    This might well be the truth, to be honest, simply because SoUnD would have to have some level of Sega ownership and I doubt Disney would have agreed to a deal where they didn't have complete ownership of something, but only partial.

16. Molotok

Molotok

Gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha Member
    I'm pretty sure it was. I distinctly remember watching it on KSTR 49 (an English independent station at the time before it became TeleFutura) instead of WFAA 8 (the ABC station in this area [Dallas-Fort Worth]).

17. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    I don't think Disney owns Sonic Underground, as I believe DiC and Sega would have control over it. Disney may have the broadcasting rights to it however.

I remember watching it as a kid on Sci-Fi Channel, which in retrospect is kind of weird.

18. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Doesn't even matter, When I tried tuning in all this week when my TV guide said it was on it was another disney related crap show instead.

The guide is a lie.