don't click here

Sonic The Hedgehog: The Movie

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Captain L, Jan 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain L

Captain L

The guy who likes Shadow the Hedgehog Member
    Waiting for the coming of the Great White Hankerchief
    I just feel like talking about my opinion of the movie, because I feel it is highly underrated. That, of course, didn't stop me from sending an email suggesting that the Nostalgia Critic review it, but whatever. First off, one of the biggest complaints I hear is that the voice acting is terrible. While he's no Ryan Drummond, I don't mind the voice of Sonic. Same goes for everyone else, except for Tails. My biggest problem is that I keep confusing the president's daughter in the movie, Sarah, as a princess. She looks it, acts it, and is even (sort of) kidnapped and being forced to marry Robotnik. Plus, whenever I hear "president's daughter", I immediately think Ashley Graham. I actually find the whole movie good, cheesy fun. It actually makes me laugh every time I watch it. From Tails accidentally grabbing Sarah's...um...you get the point. Glad to see Tails is maturing. "Accident", yeah right. And of course, who could forget Sonic giving the finger? Don't believe me? It's real. Since it's all on YouTube and under an hour long, if you haven't seen it, I recommend it. Even if you have seen it, it might be worth another watch.

Oh yeah, one more thing: Does anyone else get Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith vibes at the end? Don't want to spoil anything!

2. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
  3. SEGAMew

SEGAMew

The Obsessive One Member
    Cosmic Interstate
    Eddie Lebron's Sonic FanFilm Concept Art
    Won't merging into a topic nearly two years old technically be necroposting?

Anyway, status-wise I see Sarah as more of a princess than Elise (whose father is a duke). But anyway back when the internet was still new, the Sonic OVA and SatAM petitions were all the rage. Nowadays, not so much. I did enjoy it form when I watch the whole thing for the first time on Japanese VHS.

4. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Japan, never change. >_>

5. Doppelgengar

Doppelgengar

I enjoy it, aside from the voice acting. Sonic makes me the angriest.

6. I like Tails' voice acting. I do wish they would make more movies like this one. All the sexual jokes and stuff make it kinda funny. The animation is great too, although Sonic's quills look too short, even for classic Sonic.

It kinda reminds me of Sonic CD's opening movie.

Yes, yes I do.

7. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    So there's finally another comparison besides The Terminator?

Good to know.

8. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    It was made by the same people.

9. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    I actually liked the voice acting for all the characters. >_> Tails was easily the worst, but I got used to him after a while. I always thought the voice actor choice for Knuckles was pretty interesting because all of the later voice actors he had gave him such a deep voice where as his voice was pretty high pitched in the film. Then again, nearly everyone's voice in this film was pretty high pitched. <_<

10. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    People complain about the voice acting in Retro? :V I thought the general opinion was OVA Sonic > SatAM Sonic in that respect :P

11. Maxd

Maxd

Alabama
    Mixin'
    Hopefully I wasn't the only person who loved the music for thiw movie. Some of that stuff was really good.

12. As a kid I had the VHS and I would literally watch it every day, if you were to give me a copy of it now I'd be able to recite every line.

13. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie is probably the coolest game-to-film adaptation ever made, even if it is just a two-part anime that never got finished.

Tis a shame too. I would've watched this show daily if I'd had the chance to. I'm sure the reason it stagnated was because Sonic isn't and has never been all too popular in Japan, which is sad because it has potential. The trio and Robotnik all acted as I always expected them to (with great voices too, back off haters), and it also introduced awesome characters that didn't invade the focus on the main four in the cast while also managing to be entertaining on their own. If only the film would've acknowledged Chaos Emeralds and referenced such objects as rings, this would've been the perfect expansion on the classic series.

14. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

I love the movie. There's only two things I dislike: Knuckles having weird flying powers and it being so short. All the other animated adaptations pale in comparision. To me it was the greatest. There was always some funny detail happening at all times, even while exposition was taking place (Eggman explaining his plans to the heroes and some random smaller robot copying his pose, the owl mistaking a blue flower for Sonic). It never had a dull moment.

15. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    The OVA's probably my favourite bit of Sonic outside of the earlier games, and it's the only thing that I'm happy hearing all the characters' voices in. No, seriously.

16. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    I love how Knuckles shoes are colored wrong. :)

Also, I would kill to listen to the full version of "Look-a-like". Too bad no soundtrack was ever released. I wish I could at least put my hands on the master tracks, in order to have the original mix in high quality. Impossible dream, I know.

17. gold lightning

gold lightning

Really? I've heard this several times but can't find proof anywhere. In fact, when I look at the credits for the OVA and CD this is what I get;

Sonic OVA
    Animation Production
    -Studio Pierrot Co., ltd.

Sonic CD
    Produced by
    -Toei Animation Co., ltd

Yet so many people say they were made by the same people. :psyduck:

EDIT (To stay better on topic): I really enjoyed this film. If the style of animation was brought back and tweaked to todays animation standards for use in a new Sonic movie I'd be very pleased. The only things that I think aren't so great about the ova is the voice acting, and story. Neither of those things were awful (excluding Tails' voice) but the voice acting is far from perfect and the story is forgettable. However, the music is spot on. In the end it was pretty good.

18. Captain L

Captain L

The guy who likes Shadow the Hedgehog Member
    Waiting for the coming of the Great White Hankerchief
    Though the movie is enjoyable, there are actually so many things to nitpick about. Knuckles' flying ability (already mentioned), his fedora (not a real complaint, but it's actually Nack/Fang's), and Hyper Metal Sonic, to name a few (with a name like Hyper Metal Sonic, he should be Metal Sonic with the Super Emeralds). But yeah, the animation is impressive (definitely reminds me of Sonic CD) and the action scenes get you excited.

One more thing (again with the One More Thing, who am I, Steve Jobs (I also love my overuse of parentheses)) Bow when Metal Sonic says "There can only be one Sonic", I think Highlander. I don't believe this counts as a spoiler, because anyone who hasn't seen the movie doesn't know the context.

19. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I've been known to break into Knuckles's "the very backbone of our Planet Freedom will be shattered" monologue over the headset at work. I love the movie. It was this mysterious cartoon I knew nothing about when I saw the previews on Sonic Jam way back when, and I was overjoyed when I finally got the VHS, which is somewhere in my old room at my parents' house. I've got the DVD in my car somewhere, but it's the 'bootleg' with the Mega Collection cover art and the terrible, terrible English subtitles.

Watch out Nucklus or you'll get the fag end.

20. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Oh no, you too? :(

Sonic fights off the Machine King's Hypuro Metal Sonic with his best friends Dilus and NUCKURUS (since for some reason it was always capitalized). But first Sonic must go through the Machine King's Eden and fight Mecha Machine King in the Dark Land.

..what the heck was up with that bootleg, man. :psyduck:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.