don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog Redemption

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by UtopiaUK, Mar 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UtopiaUK

UtopiaUK

Sonic 3 Resort Island
    Here is a thread for a Sonic the Hedgehog 1 rom hack in production. It is being made by myself, Markey Jester and Lips2k7 and various other people who have helped out.

Ideal Features
    One song per act.
    One song per boss fight.
    New zones.
    Super Peelout.
    Spindash.
    New Layouts.
    New Art.
    Reversed Timer.
    Sonic 3 DAC samples (Hopefully).
    New Special Stages.
    Level Ports.
    Alot more stuff.

Planned Zones
    Palmtree Hill Zone. (Green Hill)
    Royal Gardens Zone. (Marble)
    Jurassic Cave Zone. (Not Implemented)
    Radiant Plaza Zone. (Spring Yard)
    Angelic Maze Zone. (Labyrinth)
    Runaway Train Zone. (One Act, Not Implemented)
    Chromium Base Zone. (Star Light)
    Bright Forest Zone. (Not Implemented)
    Francium Fear Zone. (Scrap Brain)
    Death Egg Zone. (Not Implemented)

Screenshots

Palmtree Hill
    [​IMG]

Radiant Plaza
    [​IMG]

Angelic Maze
    [​IMG]

Chromium Base
    [​IMG]

Feel free to ask any questions about the hack or the zones and comment on the art.
    Release will be around July/August.

Hope to hear from you.

UtopiaUK

2. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Angelic Mazes background looks odd, though only because it's underwater. Why not try making it look like a mosaic?

Otherwise, this looks very good. The most I would say would be to try and make it more original instead of sticking bits together. Why not try recolouring and rearrainging the art?

3. UtopiaUK

UtopiaUK

Sonic 3 Resort Island
    Well I am keeping some original art in there. Chromium Base's foreground will remain the same
    as in the original.

4. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Hmm, well, I recommend getting some more artwork on Palmtree Hill. If you wish, I shall give you some artwork for a Sonic 2 Hack I was once attempting to do before a virus destroyed my computer. I managed to save this one thing, but I have no need for it now. It's based upon Sonic Drift 2's Emerald Ocean, and I'd love to see it within a hack. The only issue you'd have would be the fact it's based upon Emerald Hill Zone's Deformation.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Palmtree hill reminds me a tad bit too much of Sunny Shores from Sonic Megamix. However this is looking pretty good. I eagerly await more info on this hack.

6. UtopiaUK

UtopiaUK

Sonic 3 Resort Island
    I would be very interested. Have you got Windows Live Messanger?

7. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
  8. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    Angelic Maze looks like Misty Maze from Megamix.

9. UtopiaUK

UtopiaUK

Sonic 3 Resort Island
  10. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
  11. UtopiaUK

UtopiaUK

Sonic 3 Resort Island
  12. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Wow, very very nice art, imo...

13. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

Teleportation, yeah! Member
    TBD
    Wow. This looks like it could be a lot of fun to play. So, here's my two cents on what I've seen thus far:

Radiant Park: This could end up being the best Spring Yard hack ever. I don't think I've seen any other hack drastically change up Spring Yard as much as you have.

Runaway Train Zone: I'm obviously expecting to hear Sunset Park boss music here.

Chromium Base: Again, I don't think I've ever seen Star Light changed as much as this. Another potential winner. Keep this up, man! I'm beginning to anticipate this hack tying with Megamix for best Sonic 1 hack.

Angelic Maze: Reminded me of Misty Maze, but as of recent, I've found outdoor Labyrinth Zone hacks to be very sexy. You know what this could really use? Blue tiles. Maybe you could try out some tiles from Tidal Tempest. Heck, if you used the ice tiles from Ristar, that would be really sexy! In fact, I've never seen a crystal/ice Labyrinth Zone before; if you changed it up that much, I would 100% love it.

Francium Fear: I'm not a fan of the name. I understand what you mean with the name, but I think you need something catchier. Try Fright Factory Zone.

Palmtree Hill: Looks very promising, albeit slightly bland. You said you have MarkeyJester working with you, and that is a major plus, because his Sonic MD hack was downright beautiful. See if you can't get him to lend you some tiles from his Lakeside Garden Zone. That was one of my favorite Green Hill hacks of all time.

I'm certainly keeping my eye on this. Be sure to keep us posted. And, hey, if you ever feel like adding some new Badniks to the game, or maybe even some palette swaps of old Badniks, let me know; I'll cook something up for you. :psyduck:

14. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Aww, damnit, you've seen the idea for my hack, haven't you?

15. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

TBD
    No. Are you really making an ice Labyrinth Zone? That's awesome; I've always wanted to play a Labyrinth Zone like that. :psyduck:

16. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I'm rather irritated by all the comparisons people are making between this hack and Megamix. As far as I'm concerned, this hack is far beyond original in its content—something that is fantastic to see in a hack when such a thing isn't as common as it used to be.

Personally, I absolutely love how things are looking! The art is superbly thought-out and fantastically appealing. You guys definitely know your way around a tile editor, because you seem to have the ability to whip out background and foreground transplants with relative ease. The use of Sonic CD and Sonic 3 backgrounds—as well as bits and bops from several games together—really does well to establish a coherant "Sonic" feel throughout a majority of your art edits, and the color schemes do extremely well to supplement that. Granted, there are some levels which still appear to be extremely similar to the base levels in question, but I'm fairly confident that you guys will have no problem sorting that out. :)

What I'm really looking forward to here is how you guys will handle editing the music and such. Markey is extremely adept at making custom song imports (he did so for his own hack), and I'm betting he has loads more talent to share with this one. It's great to see that nothing will go to waste in terms of talent.

Overall, I'm totally excited about checking this hack out! Eagerly awaiting its eventual release. Awesome work to all involved! :psyduck:

17. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    UtopiaUK, although you suggested a Columns III song for Runaway Train, I could give you my Sunset Park Zone Act 3 import if you want. Everything your team has done in this hack is amazing. It can be difficult to get a team hack running but you obviously are organised. :psyduck:

18. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Yeah, I've been looking at hacks and I've noticed a bunch have other zones all snowwy, but never labyrinth, so I decided to try and be the first.

19. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    I'm liking the level arts, simple and really nice. I suggest a kind of leaves background for the underwater section of Angelic Maze.

20. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

TBD
    Hey, UtopiaUK, if you ever want a new HUD for your hack, I made one that you can use:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.