don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog Redemption

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by UtopiaUK, Mar 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    You fuck, what about me?

2. UtopiaUK

UtopiaUK

Sonic 3 Resort Island
    Oh yes of course you helped just not with this zone. The work you have done for me is very helpful and very much apreciated.

3. Bareirito

Bareirito

Argentina
    Sonic - Mystery of the Chaos Emeralds
    Looking good UtopiaUK, all those stuff looks excellent, just make a bit easier levels and it will be perfect. :)

4. c1owd

c1owd

Previously 'CarrascoZX0' Member
    Whoa, relax DalekSam! Sheesh! No need to act like an asshole...
    I help with music too and you don't see me being fucked up...

Also, sorry if that was off-topic...

UtopiaUK... Sonic 1 Redemption is looking great! Question though... Are there going to be any new characters planned on Sonic Redemption?

5. neonsynth

neonsynth

Previously 'SonicVaan' Member
    Germany, Stammbach
    gaming and music production
    Wow! I hope you have some more layouts done to have me to test them. <3
    Really impressive!

6. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
  7. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    So was the original Star Light Zone.

8. neonsynth

neonsynth

Previously 'SonicVaan' Member
    Germany, Stammbach
    gaming and music production
    And I realized that the lamps are flashing, what's not supposed, I think.

9. Yeah its a good idea to make more warning when your about to clash with an enemy especially on fast parts of the stages, but im glad that you stuck to the idea of going fast on stages like this. I've noticed that with some hacks that because of how hard they have made the game it loses the focus of going fast on certain zones.

its looking good so far

keep it up

10. UtopiaUK

UtopiaUK

Sonic 3 Resort Island
    Hacking Contest Update
    With the hacking contest fast approaching It is time to make a major update so you know what is going on.
    Major changes have happened with Redemption over the last couple of months with new shields and options menus.
    But I would like to start off with a list of things that are going to be in the Hacking Contest Build.

Palmtree Hill, Radiant Plaza, Angelic Maze and Chromium Base will have 100% layout and objects finished.

Fear Factory will be unchanged but it will have the new background and new pallettes. Act 3 of this zone will look Like Angelic Maze for this build.

Royal Gardens will act as more of a passover zone. Which means it is just a straight line for all 3 acts. But you will be able to imagine what this zone
    will become.

The first 3 rotating maze special stages will have brand new layouts. The other 3 will remain the same.

The Regular bosses take 12 hits while the Final boss takes 16. Mwahahahaha.

The elemental shields will be WIPs but are in game and will be useable.

Tails will be a playable character but cannot fly or swim in this build.

Super Sonic will be available.

New Sonic 2 options menu and level select will be in the build.

All the new music will be implemented as well.

It will be released to the public on the 1st September so keep a lookout for that.

Anyway I think that has covered just about everything you need to know, a credit list will be compiled after the release so also look out for that.

and now it is time for pictures

[​IMG]

I hope this has given you an informative insight into what is going on. Please comment and feel free to ask questions that relate to the hack.

See ya all later.

UtopiaUK

EDIT: I do apologize, I put in the wrong numbers for the boss fights.

11. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    I'm sorry, I just lost interest. There's a challenging boss that takes a while to complete, and then there's just upping the hit points to feign creativity. Guess which one this sounds like?

12. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    The zones look really nice. But hell 32 hits for your final boss? Not only it doesn't bring play value, it's also completely ridiculous.

13. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

Teleportation, yeah! Member
    TBD
    16 hits? Dude, your first boss already had a split-second window of opportunity to hit it, and now you're requiring 16 of those? That's no good.

See, there's difficulty that keeps the game from being boring, and there's difficulty that makes the game so tedious and frustrating that people will put the game down altogether and play something more fun. Sure, maybe you can beat this game, Utopia, but you made the game, so that's to be expected. If you're planning on sending this out for the rest of the world to play, you need to make the game so that other people can have fun playing it too, not just you. You can make a game with the best-looking graphics out there, but if your gameplay turns people off, they won't keep playing for long.

So, there's my two cents.

14. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    Before anyone else jumps the gun.

15. UtopiaUK

UtopiaUK

Sonic 3 Resort Island
    RELEASE TIME

After a year of hard work. We have finally completed the first beta of Redemption.
    All the details you need to know are on the Hacking contest details post so make
    sure to check that out. Now it is time for the link.

http://www.speedyshare.com/422934443.html

The only issue I am aware of is that if you get an invincibilty in act 1 or act 3 of a zone,
    when it wears off it will play act 2 music. If you do find a bug or a flaw please PM me
    and it will get fixed.

Well I do hope you enjoy the first beta of the hack, Please comment and tell me your
    favourite zone in the game.

Enjoy.

16. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    In Palmtree Hill Zone, I stopped between two loops and went back, but at the end of the loop Sonic began pushing something. Other then that, Good Work, UtopiaUK. I'm enjoying this hack.

17. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    I was going to give an in-depth critique, but fuck it. The same basic message can be said in one phrase:

COULD THIS HACK BE ANY MORE GENERIC?

Seriously, it's almost like a Sonic Megamix cover version in places.

18. I have to admit it. This did not feel like a hack.

IT FELT LIKE ITS OWN GAME.

To me, to achieve that level, a hack must be very different.

It had new moves, new layouts (for all except Scrap Brain), new art, new music, and even the bosses were made harder!

The special stages are also harder, and require you to actually think.

Also, I beat the hack the whole way through. That is hard for me to do with some hacks. I did need to use level select to get past the PTZ and the AMZ bosses...cause they were just too hard, and I didn't have the patience to beat them. But other than that, I did it completely.

Congrats. You have made me eager for your next release.

19. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    All right, having played through the first few levels, I have things to say.

Here are some things I like:
    • The first level is prettier than that of Megamix.
    • Having a per-act palette system works. I've seen it before but it works nicely here.
    • The wrecking ball is actually a fairly cool item
    • Not forcing 100 different moves in this game means I can actually enjoy the first stage, and it's not over before I've had time to take it all in.
    • The special stage music is both new to me and pretty nice.
    • I like the way the lightning shield attracts rings here, a bit wilder than the Sonic 3 version.

Things I don't like:
    • Obviously the second level isn't yet complete.
    • The third level is kinda iffy and has poor object placement. There are too many enemies all put in one place. A couple spike pits are in low ceiling areas and thus hard to get over, but this isn't so bad.
    • The first boss doesn't gain much from having the extra balls there. It doesn't change the timing so much as make him just hard to hit, in a way that's more frustrating than exciting.
    • There are far too many tubes (and they're too long) in that first level. There's nothing to do while Sonic's in a tube.
    • While having a lot of music is cool, there's not a lot of cohesiveness among the songs in the game.
    • Similarly, there were only a few songs I've never heard before that I actually liked much. GHZ3's music was inappropriate, for example.
    • There were too many monochrome enemies in the third stage. The caterkillers and yadrins were both completely gold. A case can be made for it, I suppose, but it doesn't mean I'm going to like it.
    • The special stages that you changed are now really cheap. A lot of traps are not easy to identify until you've fallen into them (I'm not fond of learning traps just by rote memorization).
    • I don't think elemental shields add much to Sonic 1. There's only one water level and two levels with fire hazards.
    • The corollary to that statement is that I feel there are perhaps too many traces of Sonic 1 in here.
    • And related to that, the layout to GHZ really isn't that different from Megamix's, only there were a couple bits where things didn't seem to work, like where a couple tubes exited upwards -- it didn't look very good. Perhaps the similarity is a curse of the pre-existing tiles, much like how I have never played an edit of Emerald Hill from Sonic 2 that I really enjoyed because things never fit together well.

That's all I can think of right now, from what I've touched so far.

20. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    I got to the first act of the third zone and lost interest, mostly because of the gross palette.

I second muteki's comment that element shields have little to no use in this game, as there aren't too many elemental hazards. Also, it's really odd using an accurate lighting shield and then not being able to insta-shield when it's gone.

Also, lol STRAIGHT LINE ZONE.

EDIT: One more thing. Let's STOP comparing hacks to Megamix like it's the new Sonic 3 mmkay?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.