Sonic the Hedgehog (Prototype)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by drx, Jan 1, 2021.

1. Hez

Hez

Asshole Oldbie
    Hell
    Your mother
    You know, I don't think it does but looking at that level layout makes me think that at one point it might have had level wrapping in mind. Even the background would work with wrapping.

2. Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Taking a Sand Shower Tech Member
    Lyon, France
    Sonic 2 Long Version
    If I remember correctly.
    Even without vertical wrap, if the top row of 128x128 is made of solid tiles, falling down to the bottom of the level doesn't kill you. You are actually standing on the top row.
    With that in mind, there is still no excuse for the spikes. The top row should have been empty.

3. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
  4. Lostgame

Lostgame

turntablist, dinosaur goddess Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
  5. Hey, not sure if this has been documented yet, but there's an incredibly easy vertical camera wrap you can trigger in GHZ 1 just by jumping to the left towards this ledge in this blurry screenshot I took with my phone (I was playing on 3ds lol). It's near the top of the map just past the loop. Iirc, this is also the same spot that the camera can't keep up following sonic as he jumps down making it incredibly easy to die. 20210422_143751.jpg
    Edit: it takes longer for sonic to stop when he's skidding too. Is that known? Or am I just wasting my time now lol.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  6. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I think from a design perspective the idea that the spike bug (I will acquiesce that calling it a bug is fine given the way the code creating it is structured) wasn't caught during testing is weird, given that most of the first spike placements are spaced exactly the hurt knockback distance apart. If this was behavior they needed a quick fix to prevent happening in, say, GHZ1, surely the answer would have been to space the spikes farther apart?

I am curious if any of our more advanced 68k assembly spelunkers have any idea why the spike hurt logic is different. Is it just to handle the different sound effect?

7. Nova

Nova

オ カ エ リ ナ サ λ Site Staff
    Forgive me if I'm wrong but this post from a couple pages back explains it.

8. SystemsReady

SystemsReady

I Have No Idea What I'm Doing At Any Given Moment Member
    The Twin Cities
    trying to not fall asleep while writing Selenium tests
    don't forget, Sonic 2 started out being an edit of Sonic 1. the first prototype even has Sonic 1's header (and thus can unlock the full Blue Spheres), because they basically just messed with a Sonic 1 ROM to get things set up - and this includes things like the "speed cap" and debug mode being identical - and they just kept building on that while removing Sonic 1 assets.

It could totally be that in the face of much, much worse behaviors, they took a long while to fix it because they needed to prioritize those instead. Bugs were being fixed down to the wire for Sonic 2.