don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog (8 bit) HD

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Robotnikclause, Jul 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robotnikclause

Robotnikclause

Banned
    Travis AFB, California
    Sonic the Hedgehog 3 Game Gear
    Hey guys! I'm the leader of this project. And generally, I wouldn't make this my first post since it seems kind of self absorbed, but I figured I'd get this up before I start posting around here. So what is this?

Sonic the Hedgehog (8 bit) HD is a project dedicated to remastering the zones in the Master System that were not in the Genesis version. So Bridge zone, Jungle zone, and Sky Base zone. So why am I doing this? We are actually part of Sonic the Hedgehog HD. That project's original plan was to remaster both the Genesis AND Master System exclusive zones.

2. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Oh god...

3. Robotnikclause

Robotnikclause

Banned
    Travis AFB, California
    Sonic the Hedgehog 3 Game Gear
    Whoa... that bad huh?

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    No it's probably just the idea of it. Sonic 2 HD left a bad taste in our mouths.

5. I think it's just the number of HD projects being done so close to each other. I mean, off the top of my head I can think of Sonic2HD, Sonic3HD, and Sonica's Sonic 4. Sonic2HD got cancelled, I haven't heard about Sonic3HD in ages, but I remember a lot of complaints about the art style being badly done, and Sonica's game has so much still to do that the engine itself hasn't been fully decided on. (Game Maker was the original choice, but scrapped after a debate in the forum. Personally, I think Sonica should have stuck with it and only scrapped it if it was a sure thing that a decent engine could not be done. I haven't tried myself, but I'm fairly certain Game Maker can do it.)

Basically, a combination of sheer numbers of projects coupled with them not seeming to actually go anywhere. Still, show some decent artwork and I might be interested. I at least like seeing the artist's interpretationn of the artwork. I'll get excited about the project after you can show a working demo, and if progress actually continues after that point.

On an unrelated note, if there are going to be so many remakes being attempted, I want to see one that uses 3D models, or 2D sprites made from 3D models (like Donkey Kong Country, or Super Mario RPG did on the Super Nintendo).

6. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    Pretty much my thoughts too. Sonic 2 HD folks, please LEARN from that fucking game, me and I'm sure everyone else wants you to do well, so for the love of fuck if there are any perfectionists on board, jettison the cunts immediately. Perfectionists -while they feel a great sense of personal satisfaction- achieve absolutely fuck all, so just know when something is good enough and just let it go.

I was quite disappointed when S2HD was cancelled, but I will be gutted if this doesn't see the light of day either because a Sonic 1HD with 8 bit zones is a dream game of mine.

Good luck guys!

7. Falk

Falk

There's perfectionism and then there's delaying things for a year with absolutely no explanation when every other aspect of a milestone is done. I have no idea how you're getting them mixed up. There are many examples of perfectionism fucking up a good thing; S2HD wasn't one of them, regardless of how hilariously drawn out some of the shit-flinging episodes were in the early stages.

But I digress. Good luck with the project; I still don't see the point of re-making old stuff when you could put that effort into new experiences, but hey, if you make it, I'll play it. :V

8. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Hill Top Tree... that is all.

9. Falk

Falk

Yup. Because that's exactly why S2HD got cancelled, as I even specifically distinguished in my previous post. But then again you're jasonchrist so why do I even bother.

10. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Because you enjoy splitting cunt-hairs and stirring up utterly pointless arguments out of nothing.

Anyway RK, I shall be joining those forums and watching to see what happens next.

11. Falk

Falk

Oh really, now?

It was inevitable that S2HD would be brought up in any other HD project thread considering how high profile it was, but when -you-:
    1) Go off on a subsequent tangential rant about the subject which has little to nothing to do with -this- topic, and
    2) Stencil whatever you didn't like about the project (Hill Top Tree episode) onto being 'why S2HD failed' (Sorry, that had little-to-nothing to do with how the cookie crumbled wa-ay after what eventually became the core team worked out their methodology, and at the expense of being verbose I might add that you're hilariously idealist if you think a democracy would have gotten anywhere in the first place)

I think the problem isn't with me, it's with you. That's what I meant when I said 'you're jasonchrist'. Be more of a one-track mind, why don't you.

Oh btw I'll be keeping an eye on this project as well!!@#!@ See, you're not the only one who can tack on a sentence in a hilarious attempt to 'remain on topic' when you wouldn't have posted otherwise.

12. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Find out where I said that perfectionism was the sole cause of S2HDs failure. I think you'll find that I didn't. NOR did I say a fucking word about democracy... you're fucking unbelievable mate! Be a confrontational cunt to someone else, you and I are fucking done!

13. [​IMG]

14. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    This does sound like bollocks considering the fact that you can get an equally quality product from FL6 but in terms of practicality, having everyone on the same DAW makes sharing work alot easier especially if someone wants to tweak something in someone else's work to make it sound better or different.

My only gripe with the music rules is the fact that the speed shoes are going to be a separate audio file instead of properly integrating time stretching. Sonic 1 SAGE2010 did this perfectly built into the GensGS emulator so why not here.

15. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Yeah all I got to say is just to learn from past HD failures, S2HD especially. Don't try to mimic what it did because eventually it did fall as well.

Hopefully you put allot of thought into this project and watched the mistakes everyone did here and learned from it.

Good luck Robotnikclause.

16. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Amidst the obvious S2HD comparison and related bitching, I offer some counsel that you really should take heed of;

Get all the assets done.

Complete, but not finished. That is to say, only when you have every single asset present in HD should you run through them with a fine-tooth comb. The reasons for this are as follows;

1. Should the project enter dire straights after this, at least the assets got 'done' and it can be released; albeit not compliant with the original vision.
    2. It's far easier to get a single item 'perfect' when seeing how it fits in the context of every other item it is seen with.
    3. A prospective audience will actually see some progress instead of a single tree being bitched about for months.

Second option there was why, back in the day, I tried and tried and tried to get the S2HD team to make mockups and full-screen concepts before even attempting a single HD asset. They wouldn't listen, even though it's standard fare for professional studios to do exactly this. But they're not a professional studio and neither are you. If you just want to draw stuff, do it. Then move on. You can return to it at any time to get it right, just don't spend months on that one painted rock (which was nice enough, but not detailed enough to be considered 'HD' in my eyes) or something.

Having offered my counsel, I will watch this project with the same bated breath, but also trepidation. Until I see real progress, I can't call this.

17. Blivsey

Blivsey

Charismatic Sonicaholic Member
    I really don't get the use of the term "HD" in pretty much anything Retro calls HD. Yeah, I could load S1MS up in an emulator, blow the resolution to supersize, and record a high-quality video. Yeah, that's kinda HD. That's not what any of these projects are actually doing, though! There's a better term we should be using here:

Sonic 1 Master System Redrawn

See, you can call it HD but it'll mean jack-shit. What have all these projects been doing recently? Taking the assets and redrawing them for a higher, more modern look. Read: the term "HD" means almost nothing to Sonic Retro and it shouldn't be in your project's title.

18. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    True enough, but then again Sega themselves aren't above putting in names and (more importantly) numbers into their titles that shouldn't be there.

19. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy

THISTHISTHISTHISTHISTHISTHISTHISTHISTHISTHISTHISTHISTHISTHISTHISTHISTHISTHISTHISTHIS.

Simply doing what S2HD team tried doing is not enough. Upscaling and applying gradients and photoshop filters is no way to go about remaking a game in a higher resolution. And yes, that's what you're going for, don't even try to lie to about it.

Find yourself a nice artist who is capable of animating fluidly, and make a work of art out of this, instead of further crowding the fangame scene with more of the same.

As far as the engine is concerned, to avoid LOsing the ability to continue when some asswipe pulls his engine out from under your feet, make DAMN sure everyone on the team has a copy of the source code. Set up a subversion for that shit.

20. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    I'm not fucked personally as long as one of these projects gets *deeeeep breath* finished.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.