don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (Game Gear)

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Robotnikclause, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Robotnikclause

Robotnikclause

Banned
    Travis AFB, California
    Sonic the Hedgehog 3 Game Gear
    Project affiliated with:
    [​IMG]

This game explains the "aimless" adventure described by Sega to have taken place between Sonic 2 and Sonic Chaos, and how it all leads into one another.

All the art and music is made from scratch, as well as the level themes, which are made to be as original as possible. However, nothing is necessarily final yet. The reason this happened was the constant urging to make something original after I revealed an HD remake I was working on. I answered those cries, and now the game is progressing at a steady pace, and a demo will be ready very soon.

Feel free to make criticisms. If it is a valid one, I will do everything I can to make it better.

This game has its own website, but is also a community project on my new site, Sonic fan Dimension.

Sonic 3 GG forums: http://s3fangame.forumotion.com/
    Sonic Fan Dimension: http://sonicfandimension.forumotion.com/

2. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    I'd criticize if there was anything to criticize. You haven't posted anything about the game itself. No video, no screenshots, no assets, no music, no nothing. Do you have something to show, or are you just "announcing" it?

3. Mike Arcade

Mike Arcade

Free Scriber of Mobius Member
    As great as this concept is, I agree. I mean I may have some written down concepts for several fan games sure, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna announce them without any kind of proof first, or a mock up, or some work with it being started. Anyway, just make sure you have all the tools you need in order to make this ready. Besides, we have way too many fan games that are either just concepts with nothing done to them, or just 1 - 2 (maybe 3) Zone demos for a game that are never completed, I don't mean to sound harsh but it's true.

Critizism aside from that, I skimmed your forums for the game, the zone names and concepts sound very interesting! An 8-bit Sonic 3 with it's own original zones AND one that follows Sonic 2 8-bit's original levels only thing going on there, though I do wonder if you are going to attempt it to be as difficult as Sonic 2 8-bit, I wouldn't recommend it but I'll be glad whatever you actually turn up with, good luck Robotnikclause.

4. winterhell

winterhell

So "Sonic the Hedgehog (8 bit) HD" is cancelled, eh ? Less than 2 months after you announced it.

5. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Oh for the love of god. This is why SFGHQ banned game announcements.

6. Well, I followed the link and dug around in the forums until I found something I could actually form an opinion on. It's the foreground graphics you're doing for the first Zone, Inlet Grotto.

[​IMG]

(I'm linking directly to your picture. I've never done this before, and you really should have at least done this for yourself, to be honest)

I'm not really seeing anything that looks like the art direction that the Game Gear games used. I mean, if I remember right, there weren't any outlines, and the grass wasn't quite that flat. I'm not really getting the whole "Game Gear" feel to this at all.

7. Mike Arcade

Mike Arcade

Free Scriber of Mobius Member
    Is that so, hmm...maybe we should have a certain rule about fangames around here...maybe.

8. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    I should clarify. They banned game announcements without anything substantial to show. Retro already has a similar rule, but it only applies to/is enforced on hacks.

9. Robotnikclause

Robotnikclause

Banned
    Travis AFB, California
    Oh for the love of god. I didn't want to post all of our assets on this site just to prove something. You can listen to the music at the bottom of the page, a few topics have art, etc.
    That specific grass is like that for a reason. You will only see it and it's style once or twice in the first level. And even then, that one is W.I.P.

10. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    It is much easier, and better, to garner interest for a project if there is something presentable (images, videos) to show for it. That's why the rule is there for hacks is here; anyone can just present a concept or an idea in a new topic, but without any sort of visual substance, it becomes easily dismissable (and sometimes frustrating for people really who like the projects' ideas, and this is a neat idea). Post things here to show that you have more than an just an idea here (which you obviously do). If you don't feel comfortable posting any content here, then hold off on announcing the project until you do.

11. Robotnikclause

Robotnikclause

Banned
    Travis AFB, California
    Here goes nothing. I fixed everything you said was wrong. Anything else?
    [​IMG]

Nope.

EDIT: Redid the coloring on the tiles.
    [​IMG]

12. Robotnikclause

Robotnikclause

Banned
    Travis AFB, California
    Here is a near final version of the foreground:
    [​IMG]

I've added softer colors and shadows, smoother shading, and a nicer sense of depth to the tiles. I hope this is passable.

13. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    It might as well be. Why the fuck people can't decide on a project and fucking stick to it I'll never know - and better yet shut the fuck up about it until it's DONE! This kind of delusion happens so bloody often in fangaming "In addition to my Sonic 4 project I'm making another game with 20 zones and 40 bosses and it's coming this Christmas" bollocks!

Go back to Sonic 1HD, this new idea is shit anyway - an answer to a question that nobody even asked. I say this with all kindness because Sonic 1HD looks good and deserves to be finished.

14. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member

15. Robotnikclause

Robotnikclause

Banned
    Travis AFB, California
    Wow. Ok, here is the deal.

First of all, S1HD is still getting all of the attention I can give it right now. The lead artist has taken time to work on S3HD for now, and the other is in college. Don't act like I just got lazy, because that is the most fucking offensive thing you could say to me right now.

Second of all, you may think this is stupid, I don't know what I'm doing, that I haven't watched the video above, but in my opinion, those are all wrong. Because, behind the scenes, this project is tons more alive than the forum would suggest. Me and the rest of the team are doing our absolute best.

Finally, I'll tell you what. We have a really crappy first build just to test the engine and it's qualities. I will bring you a playable demo with completely original graphics and music in 1 week. Hold me to it. I've already started, and I'm not worried about not having time to see it through.

16. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.

Sonic 1 HD? I though he was working on Sonic 3 HD as well!

17. Robotnikclause

Robotnikclause

Banned
    Travis AFB, California
    Nope. I'm not.

18. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    I don't think anybody is calling you lazy, nobody who makes an honest attempt at a fan project can be called that. It's very common though for people to be shit with managing their time and deciding to juggle too many balls. The most insanely fucking talented people in the hacking/fangame community are guilty of leapfrogging from project to project, I'm expecting someone to pop up and announce fucking "Quadruple Trouble" any day now. After all these well intentioned, grand visions, it's come to the point where we've heard it all before and people tend not to expect too much from them. Out of 100s of projects there has only ever been 3 completed ones (to a semi-classic standard), here's hoping you become another rare exception and not part of the rule because I really wanna play S1HD.

19. dsrb

dsrb

You might want to reserve your 20th post for the release of the promised demo, just to be on the safe side.

20. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Really? See my second response to this topic. You really don't have anything substantial to show right now. As other people have said, you should've held off on an announcement until you did. Contrary to what you believe, you DO have to prove that something is seriously underway if you're going to start a topic about it. I'll keep an eye out for a demo, if or when it comes.