don't click here

Sonic P-06 general

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Feels like a lot of that work could be outsourced to others depending on how ambitious they want to get with remastering. Nothing is gonna fix the script or the dub, but the game definitely could benefit from refining the cutscene animations.

No sympathy for the hub worlds, though. Those things are ass.

2. Snowbound

Snowbound

Sonic’s Unleashed moveset and model is being ported to P06 so we’ll eventually be able to play the Secret Ring levels with boost Sonic

3. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    FELLAS

Oh my god this popped up while I was texting my buddy about Star Wars and my heart skipped a damn beat.

4. RDNexus

RDNexus

So now only the Final Story is left.
    It's great Sonic06 is finally close to being fully available on PC ^^

5. RikohZX

RikohZX

The final story levels being a compilation of pre-existing stuff with asshole box-spitting wormholes and a weird timer probably means it wouldn't be too hard to make. The story scenes, hub town and side missions on the other hand would likely be a massive nightmare. Even just doing the boss fights (apparently ChaosX even has some Frontiers inspiration in that front) would be a manageable workload compared to those.

6. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Niceee, just in time to try on my Steam Deck

7. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    It looks like the last story is on the table too given that it has a slot in the menus now, so I wonder if bosses, hubs and/or cutscenes are planned as well. Regardless, it's heartwarming to see so much positivity in the comments of that video, and I myself feel proud of Chaos for what's been accomplished here - all three campaigns of 06 fully playable on PC with plentiful fixes, gameplay tweaks and quality of life adjustments.

8. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    Okay, I'm not gonna lie, I got kind of pissed off with this. I was ecstatic to see that Silver was released, since I've been up and down with Project 06 but I'm always looking forward to the creative ways they find to make an awful game more tolerable. Sonic and Shadow got a spit-shine, with Shadow in particular being just generally faster to play overall, and there are even some touch-ups like Omega getting his sweeping arm attacks back.

So imagine my shock when Silver is not only just the same as his version back in the original Sonic demo, but even nerfed, with the teleport dash not being able to last for your entire energy meter. I played through all of his stages in something approximating misery, because the nature of Silver's design is such that his gameplay in Project 06 and regular 06 are not that fundamentally different. I was kind of astonished with how polished Blaze and especially Amy felt in terms of being able to both navigate the stage and wreck enemies better, only for Silver to be easily the worst character in the game, because he necessarily requires either to burn through energy with the energy ball attack (which takes a minimum of 2 hits to kill even the weakest enemy) or to have physics objects nearby to throw (which is and always will be unreliable), on top of the teleport dash messing with my muscle memory.

...Or so I thought. Upon finishing every stage and looking back at some gameplay to see if anyone agreed with me, I was blown away by a whole bunch of shit I never encountered. Apparently Silver has a spin jump, a psychic energy blade, a full-length teleport dash and a giant shockwave screen nuke. You have to unlock them, and the game just...doesn't tell you. Apparently there were puzzles in dusty desert and aquatic base for the first two, and you get the shockwave by getting all S-ranks. Basic functionality to enjoy the character they worked to improve is being locked behind optional upgrades that you have to find via relatively obscure puzzles. Why the hell would you ever do that?

9. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Plot twist: It's actually P-07. Secret Rings, baby!

I haven't played this yet, I have no opinion on it

10. RikohZX

RikohZX

Yeah, it seems like once you get the unlocks Silver goes from cumbersome to a proverbial one man army of pure destruction. Though the energy balls are meant to stun enemies rather than destroy them, this Silver can actually semi-reliably take out entire enemy forces within seconds if you learn certain tricks he has even without the unlocks necessary.

Very much a jump from "standing next to Amy as the worst character of the game" to an alternative playstyle in the right hands with a real skill ceiling now. Also makes sense for him to be nerfed to work best with his own dedicated level design compared to the Kingdom Valley Sonic portion he was previously playable in.

11. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    My biggest frustrations with Silver were that his new top speed doesn't always mesh well with his level design (there's a slipperiness there that makes some of the platforming feel a little clumsy), and that the camera sometimes feels too "solid," often getting stuck on pillars and things and making it difficult to get a good view in certain parts of his stages. I could be wrong, but his levels seem to have more tight, closed in areas than Sonic's or Shadow's do, maybe because his original running speed didn't warrant more open spaces, and that doesn't play well with the camera. I actually like how the original game's camera is positioned and how it controls, but something about the "retail" setting in P06 doesn't seem quite right, like it's a hair too low or something (I kept jumping too short and missing platforms that I've never missed before) and it took a few tries messing with the camera controls to get it how I wanted it, which was weird, because I usually prefer non-inverted for 1st and 3rd person camera controls, and inverted for flight, but I ended up with X-axis being standard and Y-axis being inverted. I've never messed with the E3 or TGS cameras so maybe I'll see how those feel later.

The absolute best part of all of his levels was the ball puzzle in Dusty Desert getting a facelift. One of the worst parts of the original game by far is now a short and sweet gimmick that doesn't make the final leg of the level feel like a broken slog. I've also had a nit-picky thing for years about how Blaze didn't have a playable section in Flame Core even though its her and Silver's final march towards stopping Iblis, and now she does. Wish granted.

There's so many little touches that vastly improve the presentation over the original, like the in-level cutscenes, and stuff like Mephiles' dark energy emanating from the door at the end of Shadow's Dusty Desert, and as someone who always had a fondness for '06, it's wonderful to see this amount of care and attention to detail being put in. I'm strapping in for a long wait to see how things are next go-round. I'm sure plenty of feedback will be taken into account for Silver, and he and his stages will feel a lot more polished. ChaosX said that yesterday was the 6th Anniversary since the first demo, so I wonder if he just really wanted to get the Silver release out yesterday with the trade-off being a little leftover jank, which shouldn't be a huge deal, it's still very much in development.

12. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    Recorded a playthrough of Silvers Campaign for my thoughts and opinions. Most of it is just me bitching and complaining, but I do it out of love.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2023
  13. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    That's honestly the most Sonic 06 thing he could have done.

14. Sally Rose

Sally Rose

is this the full game? or is there still a final release to come that includes the end game?

15. I’m pretty sure ChaosX intends to do the final story. I’m doubtful about Adventure fields and side quests, but I’m confident we’ll see the final level now that All the characters have been fixed up and we have the stage assets. It’d probably be a bit quicker in-between releases too.

I hope if he doesn’t want to work on the hub world and side quests, he passes the torch to those who can. I’d love to see the entire game recreated in his engine.

Just a random question: Does anyone with Unity experience know how feasible it’d be to create a Series X port that could run in dev mode? P-06 releases are the only thing that I use my Windows PC for and it’s gotten to the point that it doesn’t run great. It’d be sweet if someone on the team was able to create a UWP build. Modded 06 on Xenia is definitely a step up but it’s not the same.

16. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I think he’s mentioned he doesn’t really plan on the hub or missions.

and to be fair I don’t blame him I think they’re so terrible it’d literally be impossible to make them presentable

17. Yeah, I remember reading that he didn't think he'd do it, but I'm hopeful. I don't like the hubs or most of the missions either, but I'd prefer having them to not. I'm sure there is something people could do to make them enjoyable.

18. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    You can't make them fun in the main story campaign, but I think the hubs wouldn't be so bad if they were just a separate mission mode, like in SADX. I mean, they'd still be way too big and visually bland with no landmarks, but having every mission visible at once would make it a lot less of a hassle.

...But all that being said, I'd rather see it as a mod or a post-revision update or something. If we're talking about "literally impossible to make it presentable", we need to talk about how they're still planning on including 06's story. Unless they're massively redesigning every human and doing a bunch of voice acting/neural net voicework, I do not see that thing being saved.

19. Sally Rose

Sally Rose

if no hub worlds, then do we still get the full story? do we still have cutscenes? i dont need hu worlds, so long as the story is at least fully presented and not skipted.