don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    You're hotlinking from a wikia page and it's getting blocked to prevent offsite traffic.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Save the images you want to post and rehost them somewhere, like imgur.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. RDNexus

RDNexus

First the webp format, now blocking hotlinks... Damn Wikia and their crappy ways...
    (Yes, I know Google started it as a way to lessen resource consumption, but still...)
    I'll try to change the Wikia image, thanks for informing me.

EDIT: Done, I hope you can see them now "^^

Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
  3. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

A cool idea, but yeah, it's a stretch.

(And truthfully I'd rather they saved Chaotix for its own project so they can add missions and arrangements and what not to make the game less dull).

4. Snowbound

Snowbound

Maybe we’re not getting spinball but instead we’re getting Spinball inspired missions

5. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    I honestly think this would fix it, too. Throughout Sonic 1, 2, and even parts of 3, there are numerous obstacles and gimmicks which demonstrate that the player can use Sonic's weight and the gravity of his jump to manipulate objects in his environment. It should easily follow suit that you can jump on the CNZ barrel, use it to fling yourself into the air, and then use your falling momentum to push the barrel down lower. What made it so confusing for me is no matter how high you jumped from or how much "force" you pressed down on the barrel, the movements seemed almost random.

Also... at no point in any of the first 3 games do they teach you that you can use the directional pad to manipulate the movement of objects under Sonic. Nor do they teach you that you can use the directional pad to shift Sonic's weight onto an object. It's just a weird thing that the game randomly asks you to do, and it goes against everything the game seemingly taught you.

Plus, the game DOES teach the player that jumping onto the barrel pushes it downward, from the very moment the player first interacts with it. I think your solution would be perfect because the game already teaches the player to do this, the amount that you can push the barrel downward via jumping is just capped at a fixed height for some reason.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Snowbound

Snowbound

You are absolutely correct that the barrel of doom goes against what the game had previously taught you. That said when I finally figured out how it worked it was actually kinda fun to be able to move an object in the stage instead of Sonic. It still needs to be fixed for Anniversary mode but I could see a cool mission being created around the player moving the barrels... though the mission would require clear instructions lol.

Wait there was an apology!? When, and from whom?

I wonder if we’ll be getting a US stream next week as well? Maybe the US stream would be two weeks from now so they could include translated/subtitled clips from the Sega Japan staff that worked on Origins? I don’t usually watch the live streams so I don’t know what they normally do during “new release” season.

I would love to see the Director Cut’s improvements transferred to the saturn version of 3D blast so I can have the saturn special stages and music with the improved physics... tbc I do not think this is happening with Origins. I could see Sega hiring Jon Burton to do this so Headcannon could just focus on 3K BUT if they were to go through that much trouble to make a new version of 3D blast then it would be advertised as a main feature of the compilation. Sorry to derail the thread with my daydreaming again lol. Maybe one day we could get a Saturn 3D Blast Director’s Cut as a part of some “early 3D Sonic compilation” with SegaSonic and Sonic R.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Perhaps they'll add them later as DLC? That's what Disney did with the recent Aladdin/Lion King collection. They released a new version that included Jungle Book and the Capcom SNES version of Aladdin, while offering those games as a $10 upgrade to those who bought the original collection.

It'd be cool to have them just since they're already represented in the collection to begin with, and it'd help it feel more complete - Chaotix in particular since it plays the most like the Genesis series and, like you said, is totally inaccessible. I wouldn't mind straight emulations since they're mostly just curiosities at this point, but I still consider them important parts of the series. Same with like, Sonic R or Fighters, or the Game Gear/Master System games.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Been looking up what it says about Story Mode on the Asia Origins blog:

"Story Mode
    Brand new animated scenes link the stories of the four Sonic classics in “Story Mode”. Zip through the iconic titles condensed into one epic adventure for the first time"

[​IMG]

So it seems pretty certain that in this mode you play all four games back-to-back with the new story animated cutscenes. It sounds like these cutscenes will be exclusive to this mode.

The UK/NA Origins website says "Power on Sonic Origins with all-new opening and ending Animations for each title!". Whether this is referring to the same animated scenes in Story Mode as stated on the Asia blog or whether these all-new opening and ending animations are for a separate mode-most likely "Anniversary" is not clear.

What is also not clear is whether Story Mode will be in 4:3 or 16:9 (I assume it's the latter) and whether the extra-lives system will be in this mode. I kind of hope it is and that your extra-lives are carried across all four games. If the 99 lives cap is removed then I think we could reach 250+ lives easily in a full playthrough of all games :eyebrow:

Actually come to think of it; the number of coins you collect in Anniversary Mode goes over 100 so perhaps the 99 lives cap has been removed from Classic Mode as well.

So if we want to properly 100% Origins (as well as completing all missions and the Blue Sphere stages-I assume all 134,217,728 will be playable, lol) we're gonna have to beat S1, 2, CD & 3K four times (Anniversary, Classic, Story & Mirror Mode).
    :ruby:

9. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    I imagine the trophy/achievement requirements wouldn't be that stringent, but we'll see I guess. Platinum and 1000/1000 are for the hardest of the hardcore, I suppose (read: the people with the most time on their hands).

10. nesboy43

nesboy43

Yuji Naka made improvements to sonic 1 2 3 and Knuckles in Sonic Jam, including removing the infamous barrel.

It's amazing these changes were never implemented going forward as they address issues and it is the creators intent.

• Informative Informative x 8
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Yeah, this is a point that Josh made in his retrospective of Sonic Jam, and I thought it was very well-taken. The difficulty levels in Sonic Jam are Normal, Easy and Original, with Normal still being a touch easier than the original layouts (which are still available for the purists).

Most likely the real reason you never see those on offer in the later re-releases of these games is that Sonic Jam's versions of 1-3K were genuine ports rather than straight emulations, meaning they had a lot more room to make changes like that (as well as including Spin Dash in Sonic 1). I'd love to see those in this collection, but I'm guessing we won't.

12. Welp- add "shaming and guilt tripping people" to the list of despicable things people are trying to do now to get this game canceled.

13. My god, will they never be satisfied??? Where even was that???

14. Snowbound

Snowbound

Uhh, is this in response to a post in this thread? I’m assuming this is some offsite drama. I’m hoping that these folks are the minority of Sonic fans. That Origins will sell great and will lead to a Mania 2... guess we’ll hafta wait and see

15. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
  16. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Yep it's the Museum. The Sounds screen (seen below) is just one of the options in the Museum Menu and we haven't seen the Museum diorama yet.

[​IMG]

17. Yeah it was offsite.

I keep hearing things along the lines of (paraphrasing) us being dick-suckers for supporting the game, how we're enabling Sega by purchasing their overpriced, half-assed products, and that we have no lives cause we're buying the genesis games again.

Fuckers, imma by the genesis games as many times as I fucking want damnit- XD

Edit: this is all coming from people who are mad there aren't like, 8 characters and 5 extra games on here. I even saw one guy say they should've included Sonic Heroes (like wtf?)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. Their loss? There will always be people that don't like letting others enjoy things, let them be miserable and just move on.

19. Snowbound

Snowbound

Agreed, ignore them and vote with your wallet.

20. THIS.

I have my reasons for not buying this on PC yet (read: Denuvo) but I KNOW i'm getting this on switch. I want this to do well, for people to see the classics again in their new coat of paint!

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • List