don't click here

Sonic: Night Edition!

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Yeah, but at the very least you have to say that a large amount of basic concepts, the ones most easily accessible to newbies starting out, have been used up. I'm talking about the kind of changes that would take a few lines of assembly.

2. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Oh, of course, the "obvious" edits have been used up. I mean, I figured that was universally accepted—that's why we have step-by-step guides on, say, how to implement the spindash. It's like people expect these things, so it's generally a good idea to use such simple gameplay changes as a base to work out your own original concepts.

Case and point (and I hope he doesn't mind): love.self.hate has a nifty snow level in his hack, with real falling snow. He consistently stresses that by no means is he technically inclined, and that is he still quite new to Sonic ROM hacking; however, he used what knowledge he DID have, through research and experimentation, to create a simple, ingenious method to making the precipitation fall. Basically, he drew some snow art, set it to the top layer priority (above Sonic), and then edited the deformation code to always scroll directly down.

This is absolutely fantastic and impressive, namely because it's extremely simple, and I never would have thought of it. And the effect looks magnificent!

No, I don't believe concepts are dry by a long shot. Too many people expect to make awesome hacks with little effort... but you can even get away with little effort if you apply it in the right way. The more technically inclined people make it look easy, but that's because we've done our research, and we've been doing it for a while. The application of your knowledge is the most important part of being a ROM hacker—otherwise, you're little more than a walking encyclopedia.

3. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
    Ah, I see. Well, what I was really trying to say was, if you're going to directly rip off something, not just basic concept or feature, but to completely swipe something out of the blue like level design, it's probably best to take it from another official game, because even though someone may eventually pick up on it, it can give you inspiration and some new ideas to come up with your own and improve upon it. Essentially it's still stealing, but maybe not as bad - especially if it involves doing work to expand the original level's limits through further programming.

But you're right, it makes perfect sense that people would copy off the bigger, more professional hacks out there with more recognition, because some of the concepts are so damn awesome. And in my opinion, there's really nothing wrong with that, as long as you don't steal it directly and actually do the work from scratch.

My apologies to nineko for not noticing how indirect my original statement was. :P

4. Ayla

Ayla

I shat on your desk ^^ Oldbie
    West Linn, OR
    Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
    Tweaker's right on this one.. concepts are not used up -- but either people's prowess with assembly or people's creativity is. The hack I'm working on would require a decent amount of knowledge of assembly, but if I learn how to do what I'm doing well enough it would contain multiple concepts not found in any other Sonic game.

5. Sazpaimon

Sazpaimon

Tech Member
    Might I add that there are still other places that people can go to to submit "less than awesome" hacks, such as Cult. Two recent examples I can come up with are Metal Sonic in Sonic 1 and Sonic 1 Return to Origin. Both of which started as very basic hacks that got praise for even from the beginning. So even if the belief here is that someone can't get by here without advanced technical knowledge (not true), there are still other just as established places.

6. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    That hack is awesome, I downloaded it some time ago.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    The reason I support the Metal Sonic in Sonic 1 hack is because it might just be the first hack that has completely put Metal Sonic into the game, so I have hope for that. And Return to origin is cool, but he should have reversed the level order IMO.

8. RAMPKORV

RAMPKORV

Oldbie
    Sweden
    Licking my girlfriend's anus
    Or reprogrammed the end sign instead of making a slow teleporter, or mirrored the levels instead.

9. Sonic Boom

Sonic Boom

There was a more up-to-date release of that hack that reprograms the signpost, I'm guessing somebody hasn't uploaded that version in the wiki yet.

10. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    file pls

11. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    I don't mind at all. Heh, I take a week out to re-start uni properly, and I have props. Or whichever. Thanks, all the same. I'm taking a look at this Night Edition when I get back in, I'll have an opinion ;).

12. RAMPKORV

RAMPKORV

Oldbie
    Sweden
    Licking my girlfriend's anus
    Thank you hbrd for making me laugh.

13. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Hey guys guess what? Hbrd's just updated Sonic Night Edition!
    http://rsonichacking.ucoz.ru/load/1-1-0-12
    One thing that can be noticed is that the S2 level select is gone, however there's the proof that he's just a soviet russian who likes to steal shit.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/12/14/16...ghtedtionv2.rar

14. nineko

nineko

italy
    Aw, Sonic can't eat Chili Dogs anymore D:

15. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    rofl

16. Jayextee

Jayextee

Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Now I've played it, a fair bit; This is interesting. I like that there has been obvious attention to making the layouts compatible with the demo modes (Both the attract and credits sequences. Bah, I was only going for compatibility with the attract sequence in meine hackenspeile).

The palettes are something entirely awful. I'm kinda thankful for the darkness in a way (I'm a sufferer of Irlen's Syndrome. To save you 15 seconds of Wikipedia, it basically means Me No Likey Bright Lights), but these were just muddy, and awful in places. Any hack with a layout which makes me jump from platform-to-platform over Green Hill as soon as I've started playing is pretty much a no-no. And Robotnik Base 2's layout is bordering on sadistic with that beginning.

Also, how come after Night Hill Zone is over, the hack practically throws 1-ups at me? Heheheh.

However, I think Tweaker has drawn attention to this, not because it's stolen a tonne of shit (Hey, y'all stole Sonic 2's Spin-dash. Fact) nor for being particularly innovative. But, it's a hack in a somewhat finished form, nonetheless. Was actually quite nice to not hear all about some jolly and funkilicious hack and download ANOTHER GHZ replacement, just to complete the rest of Sonic 1 again just to see if there was anything else new. Not that this is bad, I just enjoyed the change. Yummy.

Gives me hope, though. If this impressed him so, I can't wait for him to be seeing my mess when it's done, hahahah.

17. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    He also stole my boss arena for S1Epsilon:
    [​IMG]
    I've had that layout for months, I also like the S2 eggmobile from the SCAA (credit given).
    However, it's been said many times about this hack, hbrd clearly did this deliberately, ripping out what he likes from other hacks into his hack. This soviet russian does not know that stealing is bad, he will continue to do that in future releases, the recent release showed that he likes the stolen shit & kept it in.

18. Jayextee

Jayextee

Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
  19. Metal Knuckles

Metal Knuckles

HAVE SOME FUN WITH MIKU Member
    New Hampshire, USA
    Shadow Alpha, an awesome hack of Sonic 1
    You know, if the community really has evolved to the point where anyone who steals material for their hack is to be banned on site, shouldn't all the people who have admitted to doing as much up to this point also be banned on site? The fact that it was alright then shouldn't make it alright by the present standards.

Please don't really ban them, I'm just making a point.

The argument of the community changing over the years to accept and hate different things can't be used for an excuse unless the people who make the claim are willing to follow the current values and whatnot and treat every member, despite their current status whatever it may be, the same as this Russian kid.

20. nineko

nineko

italy
    I'm so proud. He used my code for different songs in different acts and I got special thank'd. Awesome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.