don't click here

Sonic Hacking Contest 2014 Results

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Spanner, Aug 24, 2014.

1. AkumaYin

AkumaYin

So, did that Mini-Contest hack actually get released, or did I miss it? Sorry, I wasn't available on Sunday.

2. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    No it didn't, not sure when it'll be released, SuperEgg is the one responsible for that.

3. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Sorry for the necro... AND double if I missed it. Any update on that mini contest hack?

4. AkumaYin

AkumaYin

Believe me, I'm just as confused as you are. SuperEgg IS still active (seen him online here and at SSRG), so it's not like anything bad happened.

But still, I wonder how many people entered the music mini-contest. If my conversion ends up in the hack, I'm going to be somewhat embarrassed since I know I can do better stuff nowadays.

5. Super Egg

Super Egg

Master of MS Paint. Member
    Tomball, TEXAS
    Sonic 2 beta 3 hoax
    "Active" is a term I use loosely. Anyways, yes, I am on the forums, thanks for stalking me, no, I don't sit here and stalk shit all day. Life has been a real busy time for me as of recent, and hacking has basically been thrown out the window. I literally started class the Monday after the contest ended, and with no computer besides my desktop that I can use to even hack, it's hard doing my job, not that I'm complaining or sour grapping, as we are all busy, but like I said, hacking hasn't been on my top priority list since August 27th.

As far as the mini-hack hack is concerned, it'll be around eventually. My main issue is picking winners, as with the last few contests, the work that was submitted was less than delicious, I'm looking specifically at the GHZ on Fire contest. One entry, and the one person who entered did the exact thing I DIDNT want to see...

All in all, even if I get the thing all together, don't get too excited. I'll post the winners for the daily contests by the end of the week. Mini-hack depends if I can get into contact with people again.

6. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I can totally relate to this.

Now knowing what we know, and thank you for the update BTW, I'd say it's probably better to skip on making the mini-hack. If entries were, as you say, "less than delicious" then maybe it'd not be worth the trouble, all things considered with your's and others' schedules.

Personally, I've always had skepticism about these daily contest hacks anyway. While a great idea on paper, I just don't think a single day is enough time in execution for any of these goals. I like the idea of mini-contests to put together a community hack as part of the contest, but personally I think that the different criteria should be announced well beforehand, giving people ample time to put together their best work.

If I may suggest... for the 2015 Hacking Contest, let's have a couple criteria for mini-hacks (music, levels... whatever) and then at the end of the contest, have winners announced. Then, the winners will collaborate with those in charge of the Contest, in putting this community hack together.

Just my two cents because I'd LOVE to see something like this happen and bear fruit, in the future. Maybe after a couple years of doing this... we can get Sonic Retro Generations. :D

7. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    For those curious, the next hacking contest should be announced within this month or next. Just got a few things that need to be sorted out before announcing. If you're a contest judge from this year that is committed to doing next year, you should be looking at a certain thread in a certain secret forum on a certain site to air your views on a few things brought up, if you haven't already.

However, you could be working on something for the contest right now. If you have just released something, don't be put off from submitting it even if it's been public for a good amount of time, if it merits something, then there's no excuse not to submit things. The contest isn't about making something at the last minute (unless you really like doing that), start working on stuff whenever you can.