don't click here

Sonic GDK Users?

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Andrew75, Nov 17, 2013.

Are you A Sonic GDK User?

1. Im a user! (I have mental problems from it)

24.0%
  2. About to use! (Maybe I should be careful)

16.0%
  3. Used!... but no longer use! (Good for me)

20.0%
  4. Umm.. What's Sonic GDK?!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I'm going MAD working on another game engine! ( Please end my life!)

20.0%
  6. Sonic GDK gave My system HIV because its way tooooo slow! (OMFG my PC is dead!)

4.0%
  7. Sonic GDK is tooo hard core for a noob like me.. ( Is that ok with the world?)

20.0%
  8. Who cares! This poll sucks balls. (Go die in a corner or something!)

4.0%
  9. Too Many Fucking Rings ! (I'm trying to use but I'm slow in the head! Need help using SGDK!)

4.0%
  10. I'm A fucken UDK Pro! (Yes yess yess! oh God! Yessss! Err wait... Kind of pro)

4.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    You are wrong. You're also forgiven.

I said I personally don't like relying on Kismet because Unrealscript is weird about everything. I didn't say everyone relies on it. I just don't like Kismet as an alternative.

I'm also not looking for excuses to dislike UDK. I'd love to like UDK. I've tried it many times, and each time I ran into stupid problems. It's frustrating and demoralizing. Maybe I'm expecting the wrong kind of usage out of it, but it often feels like I have to create a mod for UT, rather than have an empty template to get started on. Learning a load of inherits and whatnot to get an actor to do something basic is just not my cup of tea. For what it's worth, what I was trying to do was constrain an object's movement and orientation to the boundaries and rotation of a rectangle mesh, and then tween the rectangle mesh throughout a scene. Took me forever to get nothing done in UDK.

Besides, I'm not coming into this thread just to shit on UDK. Someone said UDK is easy. I beg to differ. It's not. If it were easy, it'd be called Unity3D.

My problem isn't with SGDK directly. I'm sure it's been made much easier to work with than when I first tried to use it over a year ago. I've got little interest in it now, though, since anything I'd want to use SGDK for would require heavy modification, which UDK doesn't make easy.

2. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    Every IDE has their pros and cons, so I'm surprised to see a little debate about it going on here. Everyone also thinks differently in very different concepts as well, and each wants to accomplish different things, which either engine can complicate based on their limitations. Both sides of the argument are pointing this out quite nicely here.

UDK seems a little dated to me, but it would be highly hypocritical of me to say, since I am still using Game Maker 5.3a until I can buy a Studio license. No matter how current something is, it really depends on what limitations or shortcomings you're willing to deal with, and if the IDE fits into your work flow.

For instance, Game Maker works for me, and I've been using it since version 4.3, so I don't need to throw years of experience away at MMF2. Looking at Freedom Planet, there is no doubt MMF2 is good for developing games too, even better in some ways, like Steam Integration, but I can't justify the time to learn it when I am already competent at doing things in Game Maker right now.

It also depends on what you want to do with your game. For me, Unity looks like you have to do more footwork in terms of creating your own tools and the like, but that's part of the appeal. I have some crazy ideas for map design tools that would fit a much needed niche in what I want to accomplish in my own games. I may experiment and make it real in Game Maker first, for an experimental 3D game, then see if I have the balls for Unity.

3. Nemo

Nemo

UDK is pretty darn awesome and I love how it's fully functional and totally free. But I seriously still have trouble figuring out how to use it.

I may not like how Unity is limited by its license, but the interface and scripting are so much easier to deal with. I've managed to nearly rebuild my entire project in a week, complex systems and all. Better this time around, even. Speaking of which, I might actually have something playable by the time SAGE comes around, 'specially since I'll have a laptop to start developing on soon.

4. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I guess I really like GDK and how it seems to be a great template for making a Sonic game, but at the same time I'm not too big on the player physics themselves. They're fine and all, its just that I wanted to figure out if I can make them a bit (how do I say this without it sounding bad)... floatier? I know it's following the physics guide pretty closely but Sonic feels really heavy in jumping and steering, and while I would want him to have traction I also don't really want to have him feel like he tugs all that much. Something closer to Sonic Adventure I guess is what I'd be aiming for.

Is there any way to edit those variables in the engine without it being a massive hassle to work with? This is coming from a guy who's wanted to use this engine for a while but has never had the time to learn Unreal.

And for another question, is there any sort of preset camera option that allows the camera to follow Sonic in 3D movement, but not vomit-cam style? And if not, how much work do you think it'd take to construct something like that? Never been too keen on the vomit-cam myself.

5. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    For the physics try looking in the placeable Sonic pawn actor's options . I think you'll find what you need in there. Its the actor that looks like sonic when placed in the world.
    you can tweak many parameters without having to go into code this way!

6. StreakThunderstorm

StreakThunderstorm

Mecha Madness
    Unreal 4 came out recently and it is ridiculously cheap. I highly suggest GDK should be moved onto UE4.

Of course, this is just a silly musing seeing as how I wont have any part in it =/

7. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Quite silly musing. It's cheap, but it's not as cheap as UDK. Which is free for non-commercial use.

Unless UE4 will also be free for non-commercial use. In which case I whole heartedly agree. Apparently, UE4 is less of a clusterfuck to develop for anyway.

8. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    I signed up for unreal 4 licence today , 19 bucks is dirt cheap ! I don't think Xak is going to move Sonic GDK over to Unreal 4, I was trying to convince him, but it seems its a no go.
    Unreal 4 has C++ source code access (unlike udk ) if anyone is interested in starting up a 3D sonic game engine I think it would kick so much ass. Would be just as kick ass if if it were Xak as he has a lot of sonic engine Knowledge. I think he's just tired of making sonic engines in general though >__<

9. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    I totally agree. It's dirt cheap. But it's still not free. I'm not paying $20 for anything I'm not sure I'll be able to use.

Maybe it's the subscription model I have the beef with. I dunno.

10. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    I'm not sure but if u cancel you can keep it forever after the first payment, you just don't get updates. someone correct me if this is incorrect.

11. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    You are correct. Here's what their website has to say:

12. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Which means that you would essentially have to pay $20 for every update to GDK4.

I mean, if the benefits to UE4 for the base engine are there, I suppose it's a good idea. But Xaklse isn't going to do it.

13. StreakThunderstorm

StreakThunderstorm

Mecha Madness
    That's too bad. I've been gone for what, a year now? No new engine savant has come up in that time? This truly is a sad day.

14. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    For what? Generations is extremely hackable. There's little incentive for anyone to try to reinvent the wheel, and there are two perfectly good options for 3D fangame development available.

15. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    Hi Streak I was beginning to think you moved to Mars.
    Sonic GDK should not be moved to UE4. If anything it should simply branch a build to it with each release, IF that's easy to do. It would not be fair to move the engine to UE4 only and abandon the last release for UDK which remains free.

16. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    If I understand the changes they've made to UDK, Sonic GDK would effectively have to be rewritten. Not worth the time, honestly.

17. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Far as I know, you can do replacement hacking.

18. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    I don't get it. Are you agreeing with me? Cause that's what it seems like. I could be wrong though

19. winterhell

winterhell

UE4 like any other engines is based on tradeoffs. It assumes a given minimum feature set on the platform, and makes full use of it. On the plus side, if you have met the requirements you can achieve more(or at least easier) than with an older engine, like Doom 3, could on the same hardware.
    On the down side, you have the minimum threshold for your userbase that might be too high for what you are trying to achieve.
    From the official minimum UE4 requirements for users:
    Code (Text):
    1. Processor    Quad-core Intel or AMD, 2.5 GHz or faster
    2. Memory   8 GB RAM
    3. Video Card   NVIDIA GeForce 470 GTX or AMD Radeon 6870 HD series or higher
    4. Windows 7/8 64-bit
    (no Linux / OS X / SteamOS for now?)
    What this means is, if you are making a game on the level of Half Life 1/SRB2/(insert any game from '90s) you certainly wont be able to run it on a machine bought before September 10, 2009.

My advice is to max out what you can do with UDK/Unity/C4/etc first and make sure it has a fallback settings that let the game run on older hardware so that most of the people here can actually play it.

I'm not trying to bash UE4, its a great engine at what its intended to do.But it also matters who and how is using it. It may save you some work and make some features easier to implement, but oh boy did I watch some "showcase" videos demonstrating GTA3 quality.

20. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    I'd really like to move my CD remix over to Unreal 4 at some point, as it offers something visually closer to what I wanted it to look like when I envisioned doing it back in 2006.