don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. MootPoint

MootPoint

Clockwork Aquario's Strongest Soldier Member
    I love these so much! It's interesting that they combined the somberness of the open zone with the electronica/DnB sounds of Cyberspace. Make sense considering Sonic's friends are trapped in Cyberspace during the campaign (assume so anyway from the promotional materials we've gotten).

The Knuckles section is my favorite, I hope the full version gets more turnt lol.

2. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Anyone have a way to cheese the action challenges? Get's frustrating when the standard mooks do their little like thing where they become a pillar and you can't attack them.

3. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    The easiest way is simply to put it on Easy. It lowers the score threshold a lot.

Also, the yellow orbs are just a multiplier. Grind rails and Power Boost for continuous points

4. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    I adoree Amy's theme here!! I really really like these songs, I can't wait to hear them in-game.

5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Reminder that Mania's original boss for Stardust Speedway Act 2 was completely removed once Plus came out. I wouldn't be surprised if history repeats.

6. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

This was such a strange thing to do. The replacement fight has some glaring design issues that lead to unfair deaths and the original fight was functionally better, even if not nearly as climatic visually. I don't get why they would didn't just leave the original fight in via a cheat code or something.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2023
  7. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    This is the big question for me. You'd assume Ouranos is entirely replaced, but what about the entire current final boss? It's still a unique and difficult fight, it'd be a real shame if it went to waste. In an ideal world there would be a new final boss as Super Sonic you encounter on any difficulty, and if you're on Hard mode, finish it off with the Ikaruga game.

8. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    The End can't be stopped and that's the whole point. All that really matters is how cool Sonic looks while trying.

I'd say maybe they actually lock the new finale behind New Game+, but if that's the case they should have saved it for this update.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2023
  9. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    https://twitter.com/SonicOfficialJP/status/1702491917861490798

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  10. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    The Japanese upload's description has more detail (translated):

• Informative Informative x 9
    • List
  11. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I'm still miffed this wasn't Encore only since I still haven't played Mania.

12. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Instrumentals for the existing tracks... That's awesome.
    Counting stuff we've technically already heard (Instrumentals, Island challenge music + jingles, and the tracks released today) that's 34 songs we've presumably heard none of. Exciting.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  13. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    Just got the PC version due to the Steam sale. I heard this game has negative mouse acceleration, but... I wasn't prepared for how bad it is.

I really hope someone makes a mod for better mouse and keyboard controls, because holy shit this negative mouse acceleration is dreadful, even on max sensitivity. In fact, the way KBM is implemented in this port is just straight up amateur-hour. Who puts the pause menu on the P key nowadays rather than escape and/or enter?

This really sucks, because this should be the sort of game that could play really well with KBM. The fact that someone actually playtested this with the dreadful-feeling negative mouse acceleration and thought this was fine is an absolute travesty. The fact that this happened so soon after the same issue was present in Person 5 Strikers is especially frustrating to me.

Like... This alone is enough to make the PC port a 4/10 for me. Technically it runs really well and there's basically no problems otherwise? But the fact that KBM was obviously such a massive afterthought is enough to call this a bad port.

Seriously, unless the Denuvo DRM makes implementing a fix impossible, I'd be willing to actually pay someone to mod in fixes for the KBM controls.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2023
  14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya frontiers is not designed for keyboard and mouse gameplay. Not sure any Sonic game is tbh.

15. Kyro

Kyro

platformers almost always feel miserable for me on mouse and keyboard, even with camera control on the mouse. Ive never enjoyed trying it, i always just hook up my pro controller...

16. A3BFB212-1F0C-48E8-BFB8-2A0E153B1914.jpeg

17. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    Maybe no official 3D Sonic game, but I've found through playing fangames that Sonic controls like a damn dream with a mouse for camera controls and turning (at least when the camera isn't being constantly hijacked by the game). Frontiers feels like the sort of game that should also play amazingly with KBM, but the negative mouse acceleration completely ruins that.

I really wish there was a good-quality dedicated split controller for use with a mouse, because that would probably feel a lot better for platformers for most people than a keyboard.

Either that or a Steam Controller version 2 that uses the Steam Deck layout. That would basically be my perfect PC controller for the most part.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2023
  18. Despite my jokey picture response, I do think there is a benefit to KBM in Sonic specifically because the mouse controls allow slighter adjustments to your trajectory. I personally have never tried, but I think SRB2 and Utopia are supposed to work very well played like that. For a Mario-style platformer, I don’t think it’d work as well.

19. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    It's not just precision, it's the speed. You can make precise turns on a dime very quickly at basically any angle, which works extremely well for moving at high speeds. A right stick isn't terrible for this, far from it in fact (it's not as good or fast but you can still get fairly granular and precise turning), but the problem is platformers generally aren't designed for or teach players to use the right stick for turning rather than using the stick, which sucks, because it works way better for handling Sonic's speed without forcing limits on his turning speed just to make him controllable like the boost games do (and what Frontiers seems to do in cyberspace when he's running). In the case of Frontiers, you can turn off automatic camera movement, so you're not fighting the auto-camera while running around and using the right stick, thankfully.

Also, being able to jump while still having full control over the camera is a massive bonus in itself. I honestly think, barring the implementation of back buttons, that Sonic would control best with a "bumper jumper" setup (ala Halo), as sacrilegious as it sounds to take jumping off the A button.

Where keyboard controls falter is the lack of analog control for movement in 3D space, which makes 3D platforming trickier. I'm personally someone who's gotten used to making it work, but a lot of people haven't.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2023
  20. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    I grew up playing many games on emulated keyboard controls, and still find myself switching between keyboard and controller for the sonic decomps regularly with no real issue. Origins abysmal default keyboard controls remain one of my biggest pet peeves with it. There's no reason they use such a poor default config there either, effectively forcing me to use a gamepad every time.

And there's 0 reason 3D platforms can't be good with KBM controls. 0. Everything you need can be done perfectly with a WSAD FPS default setup. SRB2 pulled it off for years, and switching to a 3rd person Adventure style control setup would not be too difficult.

It's a shame, but oh well.