don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    New Fast Facts video. An overview of the update, nothing new if you've already played it.

...however, it should be noted that the version they're recording is 1.40 instead of 1.30, the one that's out >_>

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. synchronizer

synchronizer

What if the original plan was for Sonic to get trapped in cyberspace, and then the next section of the game would have you play as Tails, Knuckles, and Amy to save him? I wonder if that’s what they’re inserting into update 3. That would make a lot of sense to me.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Interesting. Soft patch incoming? Seems a touch too soon for that tough... :V

4. Lambda

Lambda

That's been my guess. If it's true, that section of the game will be way more interesting both from a gameplay and narrative standpoint.

It's too bad they didn't get to do that in the original release. Think about how cool it would've been if the fact that you play as Tails, Knuckles, and Amy had been kept under wraps during promos and you get to that part in the game not knowing it was gonna happen... woulda been sick.

5. synchronizer

synchronizer

Maybe they stop resetting the medley music upon death?

6. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Seems like that'd kinda suck if it was only on Rhea Island... but maybe they carry over to Ouranos?

7. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    A little out of the way, but I figured this might be relevant to this topic.

So Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis' community livestream NGS+ did a simple remix of Undefeatable with dubstep percussion. Not my cup of tea but people seem to like it. Starts at 2:23:33.

I've been getting a lot of people in the game asking about the music and are surprised at such good music. Lots of people love The Theme of The Starfall Islands: Movement III which plays in the lobby areas for this Sonic Collab they have going and naturally Undefeatable which plays during a limited quest inspired by Sonic "speed". Frontiers is getting quite a bit of love from NGS right now and it's probably well-calculated on Sega's part.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  8. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Sounds more Hyperpop than dubstep. It's at least getting closer to the more extreme dubstep I've heard before.

9. synchronizer

synchronizer

Well remember that Kronos, Rhea, and Ouranos were all one big island.

10. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Not anymore, though. They cut it up for a reason. I don't think they're going to change the number of islands or where events take place. At best, I'd hope they cut the Kronos part off of Rhea Island and give it a snow aesthetic (the gold/fall look should be reserved for Ouranos).

11. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Welp, that seals the deal. I've been debating whether to load up NGS lately and I guess this is as good a time as ever to do it. Thanks for the update!

Not a fan of that remix at all though. It has nothing to do with the genre; I love jungle, DnB, and whatever else it's influenced by I have no issue with. Just sounds incredibly hastily produced and the drum writing is all over the place. I'm sure this was a very last minute addition

12. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    I had exactly the same impression. I only really shared it since it's an "official" remix. I do admire their social media team for trying on what's no doubt short notice and a shoestring budget, but it's literally the original song with a drum track added.

I'm actually more intrigued by how heavily they've leaned into Frontiers for this event though. Players who are only tangentially aware of Sonic are asking questions about Frontiers because of this event.

13. Lambda

Lambda

If I remember correctly, during production there were plans for the player to return to each island to deactivate towers. Eventually they changed it so towers were only on Rhea Island.

Maybe healing Sonic of his corruption requires each character to go back to their island and do some missions there.

Amy goes to Kronos, Knuckles to Ares, Tails to Chaos.

Then they have to return to Cyberspace, Sonic is restored, and he goes to Ouranos. Then after you beat the game you can play as whatever character you want wherever you want. Maybe there are some new collectables that only certain characters can obtain.

Who knows. I'm just speculating, though it seems plausible enough to me.

14. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I wonder if SEGA will remember to have Mike Pollock redo one of the Egg Logs to make reference to the fact that there are five Starfall Islands now, rather than the originally planned three. :ruby:

15. Snowbound

Snowbound

FYI Frontiers is 50% off on Steam until July 13th. most people reading this thread already have the game but I figured there could be a lurker waiting for a sale… so if that’s you: hooray :)

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Technically there would be 4. Rhea is different in the menu but it's canonically the same landmass as Kronos, unlike Ouranos which is just it's own island.

17. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Canonically? I'm not sure that's true. The game doesn't really imply one way or the other.

18. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    Probably not because it wouldn’t just be Mike Pollock, but also for the Eggman voice actors of the five other languages that the game supports voices for.

19. I was thinking about this the other day, and it doesn't really make sense narratively, but something cool that could've been done is having each of the 3 sections rise out of the ocean/escape cyberspace as you progress through the narrative.

So you still have "3" islands, but by the end of the game it's all one fully explorable landmass.

And then I remember this game is on Switch and welp :V

20. synchronizer

synchronizer

Anyway, with the spindash and better movement configurations, I hope the sequel will have level design built around those, as well as only original levels. It's about time considering all the rehashing in previous years.