don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    A refund ticket :V
    ...well not really, a CD with music score, artbook and maybe a Sonic figure would be nice tho.

2. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

If we're going to be serious, then one thing I always, always enjoy in Limited Editions is a nice collectable figurine. Art books and music CDs are alright, but I never get to see and appreciate them. They remain boxed up forever or on shelves, where they're out of harms way. I can always chose just look at the art and listen to the music digitally. Also, steelbooks are some basic bitch level of limited edition merch. I've got tons of the things just from preordering various games over the years and I just don't get the appeal.

Generations' Collectors Edition included that awesome statuette of the two Sonic's and a gold ring in a ring case. It was all nice, but the gold ring was the showstopper for me. It was gorgeous and could be displayed so nicely. Mania's Collectors Edition was similar, with the Sonic and Mega Drive statue being a ludicrously huge, but absolutely fantastic bonus. The fake Mega Drive cart with a gold ring inside was also really nice, but it wasn't as displayable as the Generations one. The cart alone was enough for me. Colours Ultimate had some extensive extras exclusively in Japan, but that was just an art book, coin and some assorted pieces of standard merch. The art book was beautiful (although totally unrelated to Colours), but as I said before I don't care much for the art books. The rest of the stuff was all like good but not amazing.

The best thing in the Colours set was actually the wall scroll. Collectors edition posters bother me because they're forever tarnished by creases and folds before you even get them. But scrolls don't have this problem and look nicer from the outset. If Frontiers has a really large map, seeing that in scroll form would be nice. And of course a statue/figurine would be the best inclusion imo. We haven't really seen any of the game yet at all, but it could be really cool to see some and that that titanic robot from the end of the trailer.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2022
  3. Hamzawesome

Hamzawesome

I was looking back at Forces' marketing and I noticed that they released one "trailer" per month starting in March with the Modern Sonic in Sunset Heights gameplay video, which was in SXSW. April was Classic in GHZ, May was Avatar reveal, June was E3 trailer, July was Infinite reveal.

Maybe we'll see gameplay next month? They haven't announced a SXSW Sonic panel yet, but it's not really a requirement I guess.

4. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    In terms of limited edition bonuses, one thing I’d really want (but that we almost certainly won’t get), beyond the already mentioned art book and CD, is a DVD containing a documentary on the making of the game. Starting from its conception in the context of Forces and the reaction to it and giving particular attention to the process of exploring how Sonic should play in an open world, not to mention any technical challenges the team came up against in this transition. Also an interview with Ian Flynn on the process for writing the game’s narrative.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I've never considered this, but now that you mention it I would love to see SEGA produce a "making of" documentary for Frontiers. There's ample opportunity to go back and do previous games in the series in retrospect, but doing it a brand new game and one that's (supposedly) as bold as Frontiers would be great. Too bad it's not going to happen.

Specifics aside, yeah Spring seems like a safe bet for when the curtain on Frontiers will finally be pulled back. That's typically when most Sonic games get announced if they're due to be released the following holiday season. Forces happened to be teased a good while while earlier, but it's proper push came in Spring of 2017. It seems like the same thing will be the case for Frontiers. Frontiers got teased in May, got teased a with a title 6 and a half months later and will probably get unveiled relatively soon. My completely baseless guess would be March or April. I don't see them waiting a full year between the original teaser and a reveal.

6. Snowbound

Snowbound

Given the attention the movie will bring to the brand Sega ought to show some gameplay by the time the film is released in April

7. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    My answer would be whatever they think they're going to include in an alternate "digital deluxe" edition, mini figures equivalent to the ones found in those one bath bombs, or the game's soundtrack / some other form of individual bonus music collection disc. Maybe even the Sonic Sessions album since we know they're not going to actually sell that to anyone. (This one would actually make even more sense with Origins if it got a physical release, there's a bunch of obscure old stuff they could pull out of the archives and put into a collection!)

8. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    ...Does that make any sense when you can pre-order it right now?

9. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Physically, and specifically to the US? Non-import?

10. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    There are physical imports of the CD available. I can't remember the last time the US specifically got a CD. Wayo Records has picked up a few SEGA soundtracks, including Sonic Forces', but that's Europe-centric. It's not like it's impossible to grab if you're wanting it, but we're straining the relevance to Frontiers here with the Sessions thread kicking around.

11. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    In fairness, Forces has special circumstances around it that should be taken into account: specifically, Sonic Mania. I can imagine we'd have had months of screaming from Modern fans if Mania had been announced as it was but no mention made at all of the next 3D game until the usual window.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  12. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Lol, for sure. But I think that SEGA would have announced Forces when they did regardless of Mania. It had been three years since Last World came out, Boom was evidently flopping and SEGA needed something to show for the 25th anniversary that they were hyping up because they're obsessed with anniversaries. It was kind of the same situation as last year with Origins and Colours Ultimate plugging the gap for the anniversary whilst the actual new game was going to be around a year late.

At this point, I just want to see what Frontiers is. I'm patient and can happily wait. But I'm just not sure if Frontiers is worth waiting for.

13. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • List
  14. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
  15. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    So allegedly (emphasis on “allegedly”) the footage they showed at TGA is even older than the Sonic Central footage.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  16. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    There was no footage in Sonic Central, though.

17. Snowbound

Snowbound

What specific info did this Saki person reveal about Colors U? Everything he’s saying here could just be an educated guess/analysis.
    Where have u heard that? From the screencap of Saki’s discord post or from another source? I’m not trying to be confrontational I’m just trying to find as many sources as possible for these rumors.

18. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I would take a few bags of salt with those points, even putting aside the obvious fact of...of course the footage and model are early, the game isn't out until the end of this year. I know we all want a reason to hope, but there's nothing to be gleamed from those postings.

19. Even if the model itself is a placeholder, that doesn’t necessarily mean that the final model will be of a different art style or distinguishable in any way. Generations technically uses a different model than Unleashed but they’re effectively the same thing.

I am definitely in favor of getting a visual overhaul of the series, ideally one that effectively merges classic and modern design language and has a little more edge (not edge in terms of Shadow edginess, but just less “safe”), but it’s really not as important to me as gameplay. I think the current style is decent enough.

God help us though if the Sonic movies’ success leads to them adopting that style. I’m worried that too many kids will begin to associate “real Sonic” with the movie and reject the games’ designs in the same way I reject the movie, Boom, AoStH, etc. lol.

20. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    I can't really see the game series ever being influenced by the film series tbh. I think the movie will just stay as its own self-contained branch of the franchise. It'll pretty much be like Boom or any other spin-off branch from before.

Not to mention there's also gonna be that Sonic Prime thing which will lean closer to the game series.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List