don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. I was sorta out of the fandom at the time but wasn’t Boom supposed to become the “main” Sonic, at least in the west? I remember reading or hearing something to that effect.

Either way, I was half-joking with that statement. I mean we do have the American designs in Mean Bean and Spinball but I doubt they’d try to alter a 30 year old franchise at this point.

2. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Some people thought that, but it was a silly thing to think.

3. Snowbound

Snowbound

I apologize for bumping this thread when there’s no new info but I’m curious: Sega has held Sonic panels at SXSW. In past years were these panels announced in advanced? I’m kinda thinking that if Sega’s skipping SXSW then we prob ain’t getting another trailer until May after the Movie 2 promotion has died down but before E3 to capitalize on interest in Sonic

4. It looks like the panels for 2019 and 2020 were announced in February. Not saying it’s an impossibility, but it likely would have been revealed already.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  5. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I could very well see a trailer dropping on the release of the movie or in the aftermath of it. Would be very cool if the trailer were to be played before the movie itself.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Maybe they plan to show a trailer for the game, Origins and Prime at the same time?

7. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    Yeah I think it'd be really cool if a Sonic Frontiers trailer was played alongside the film, maybe even a post-credits thing lol. Reminds me of when I saw an advert for Sonic Unleashed in cinemas around when that game released.

8. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    I think it'd be more likely to get a new Sonic Central than an SXSW. And Sonic Central was announced days before it was a thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. Snowbound

Snowbound

The only time I’ve seen a trailer for a video game in a movie theater is when I got there super early and they showed various special features and Ads before the coming attractions. I really hope they show a Frontiers trailer before the film that would be freaking awesome. Has this ever happened with other video game adaptations: like has a game trailer ever been slotted in with movie trailers?

10. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    Ehh Sega really needs some kind of Sega Direct. I mean, they have so many IP's everywhere and no direct way of telling their fans what's happening.

11. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Their little Sonic Central presentation last year was nice, and I certainly wouldn't be against another presentation of the sort that was either Sonic specific or SEGA as a whole.

Frankly, I'm finding myself really bewildered by the way that SEGA is showcasing Sonic games at the moment. Their Sonic Central last year was a nice idea, but it's gone absolutely nowhere. The only two things I'd value to come out of that presentation were the announcement of Colours Ultimate and the Symphony. Both got regular updates after that have been seen through to the end. But then you have Prime... A new TV series that they showed us an Eggman logo for and then went silent on. And Origins... A new collection of the Classic games that was announced with zero details and that they failed to deliver more news for in 2021 despite promising it.

And most notable is Frontiers. I'm all for little teasers and not showing their hands too soon, but it Frontiers is taking the cake. They showed the most basic of teasers in May, and almost 7 months later they released a second teaser in which they still weren't willing to showcase any gameplay. It's been almost 3 months since then.

So Prime's development is probably out of SEGA's hands and that's fine. But I don't know why they're being so quiet with their flagship series. The Game Awards presented Sonic with an opportunity and that seems to be squandered somewhat. What was the point in barely showing the game there only to go radio silent for several more months? Frontiers is barely keeping itself on the radar right now.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2022
  12. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    It is weird to not have heard anything from Origins. Isn't that supposed to be out in a couple months? We haven't seen anything from the game. The only trailer used footage form the Taxman ports and Genesis S3K.

13. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

A lot of people were predicting that it would be out in Spring or Summer, so that it would be on shelves around the same time as the movie and would be wedged between Colours Ultimate and Frontiers. But that was only a guess. SEGA didn't actually provide a release window and simply said "next year". What they did say however is that they'd be sharing more information about it "later in the year" and that never happened".

But this is the Frontiers thread.

14. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    I don't think that'd work as well as Nintendo's because SEGA fans aren't like Nintendo fans in that they consider every game part of the "family" and worth checking out.

if you're a fan of Nintendo you're probably a fan of a lot of their output like Mario, Kirby, Zelda, and Pokémon. If you're a SEGA fan you might just like Sonic or Total War or Yakuza or Two Point and never touch anything else they do.

I think that'd just create a situation where people would feel like their time was wasted. I think a yearly Sonic Central going forward will be the best way to get us large amounts of information but I guess we'll wait until the summer to see if they do one.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    The idea of a SEGA Direct is pretty interesting. Makes me wonder what it would be like if SEGA were still in the console business because that feels like the type of thing they would do. The way they handle Sonic would also probably be completely different compared to how it's handled now.

obviously I don't think SEGA are ever gonna make consoles again but it's kinda fun to think about lol

Last edited: Mar 1, 2022
  16. John Chrysler

John Chrysler

Because Sega was ahead of the curve when they were making consoles they probably would be doing a Sega Direct in the late 2000's.

17. Wraith

Wraith

Yeah you nailed it. Sonic fans have only ever gotten annoyed when Sega decided to focus on anything else. Even stuff that targeted a similar demographic as Sonic usually doesn't get a sales bump by association.

On the flip side, liking Mario or Kirby or Pokemon usually meant you had enough of a reason to at least try Smash Bros, and that was a gateway to a lot of stuff with similar appeal.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Caught the Uncharted movie recently and it had an ad for Horizon: Forbidden West before it kicked up. Was expecting to see an ad for the recent PS5 Uncharted remasters, but zilch. I also remember seeing Halo 3 ads before some movie back in '07, so it's at least been a thing for a while, even if both trailers in this instance were entirely CG and didn't show gameplay.

19. Snowbound

Snowbound

37260103-E555-4551-913D-0F872A0E7C43.jpeg We don’t know for sure that we’ll get Frontiers info here... but it makes sense that Sega is skipping SXSW so that March marketing solely focuses on hype for the movie. Then in april when the movie comes out and there’s peak interest Sega will (hopefully) reveal more about Frontiers

Edit: I think I got a little too excited. I see the tweet is @ing Sega EUROPE. Also given the name I’m thinking this event may be focused more on PC games than multiplatform games. We’ll see I guess

Last edited: Mar 3, 2022
  20. Lyrica

Lyrica

(Formerly: Donnyku) Oldbie
    Pennsylvania
    Wedding Planning
    The original ILoveBees Halo 2 trailer was shown in theaters