don't click here

Sonic Fantasy

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Jof, Aug 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    [​IMG]

The art is awesome, so is your hack. How are you not a full member yet ? D:

TWEAKER! They deserve promotions!

2. Jof

Jof

Scotland
    Sonic Fantasy
    : ) Cheers guys. I'm hoping this next problem I have isn't gonna slow me down too much.

I'm following Chimpo's guide to SonicMapEd, and tried to edit the mappings for the Giant Ring, so I could import a new sprite.

I follow it pretty fine, but when it comes to re-building it, I get this in place of the sprite I edited.

[​IMG]

The tiles are completely fucked up on that one sprite.

[​IMG]

Yet it looks alright in SonicMapED. Any ideas ?

3. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Did you export DPLCs for the big ring as well? Remember, you have to load and edit them just like with character graphics.

4. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    Uhm, no? The giant rings aren't DPLCed.

5. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    As far as I remember, the giant rings are uncompressed, meaning they would require DPLCs to be loaded into VRAM appropriately. I remember very specifically that the big ring graphics were uncompressed. Did something change? o_O

6. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    The giant ring graphics are uncompressed, but that's just so they can be loaded more quickly. They're still loaded in one go to VRAM and use normal mappings.

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Seriously? That's the only time in all the Sonic games that such a thing happens, right?

Oh wait, perhaps the end panel does the same?

8. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    Lol, when I read the first post I was like "Oh another person saying this and that will be in my hack someday even though I have no idea how to hack..." boy was I wrong.

I really love what you did to Sonic. He's so cute. <3 Love the monitors as well.
    It's going really good so far. Keep it up.

9. Jof

Jof

Scotland
    Sonic Fantasy
    I was thinking it might have had something to do with DPLC's, but I couldn't find any that matched the rings, and it loaded in SonMapEd just fine without them. Sadly, the problem persists, so anymore help would still be greatly appreciated : ).

[​IMG]

Slowly but surely my image falls into place.

10. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Sonic looks cute =]

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'm loving how this looks. Simple yet effective.

12. Jof

Jof

Scotland
    Sonic Fantasy
    I went into work, and got the pleasent surprise of finding out it was actually my day off. So I've been busy editing a couple more things today.

[​IMG]

^Edited some title cards text (though only G R E E N H I L L)

[​IMG]

^More badnik (SCD) changes

[​IMG]

^ New buzz bomber (SCD), and new GHZ rock

[​IMG]

^The new lampost (from S3K)

[​IMG]

^And the new Swing, from Aquatic Ruin in S2.

I've also done a layout for Act 3, so if you fancy checking it out, and seeing all the above, please do so

13. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    This hack looks great. It really does. I like the monitors and singpost art you got there, and the layouts are a bit creative.

14. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    I love the direction you've taken with the new art (especially what I'm assuming is Sonic's bored animation with the folded arms), but I'm not sure I like the placement of the ARZ swing in GHZ. The art styles seem to clash. Are you planning on editing the art for the swing at all to make it fit in a little more with the rest of the level? (Or, conversely, are you looking to edit the GHZ art?)

I've yet to play this hack, as I'm using a temporary laptop with no access to emulators and all, so I can't comment on new layouts, but from what I've seen from the screenshots, it looks like this is going to be a brilliant hack when it's completed. I'm especially fond of those monitors. They must've taken a lot of work, especially for the broken state

15. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    Very nice art edits you have got there, even though they are from existing games, they all fit together quite nicely.

16. Jof

Jof

Scotland
    Sonic Fantasy
    <!--quoteo(post=219953:date=Aug 27 2008, 07:10 PM:name=Blanche Hodapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Blanche Hodapp @ Aug 27 2008, 07:10 PM) [​IMG]

17. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    I love how the art is coming along, nice work there. And the idea of a grassy ruin type zone sounds cool in my opinion.

18. Graxer

Graxer

19. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Except Jof may not want the underground parts, which Marble zone has. In fact, unless you edit the Marble zone background you will have the underground parts.

Now gonna try new version, it's looking great =D Also cool font for the title card, very original (at least in hacks).

EDIT: also I like how the hack doesn't try to be anything great, just look like a new and cool Sonic game. Often that works way better than trying to strenghen in extra features. I want new levels, not new features! And this hack seems to prefer that way =]

EDIT 2: also put tiles even in the areas that shouldn't be seen. I've found a set of spikes that is on the air because the floor normally shouldn't be visible, however I've reached the area and saw the spikes before the camera could accomodate =/ Tried to take a screenshot, but couldn't get it again (just tried once =P).

20. Jof

Jof

Scotland
    Sonic Fantasy
    Well, I spent the last couple of hours following a few of the guides on the wiki, so I've fixed the spike bug, fixed the SEGA noise, and have succeeded in implementing Spindash into the hack. Still have to sort the revving noise, and port the dust, but it's looking good so far. I think that's about far as it goes for new features. It's all that's really needed for it to feel like a Sonic game I reckon.

Other than that, I've taken care of a few layout issues, such as the floating Spikes ; )

In regards to the Grassy Ruins, I suppose it is quite similar to MZ, but I want this to be a whole lot more.. fieldy.. I guess. Hard to explain. In any case, MZ is gonna be different too, so it doesn't matter too much.

Here's the latest build with Spindash.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.