don't click here

Sonic Drift 2 on the Master System (2009/07/05 update)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Shibunoa, Jun 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shibunoa

Shibunoa

Banned
    Italy
    Download it here..

I saw the topic about converting Sonic Triple Trouble to a SMS game, so I thought I would have a go at it.

It is nowhere near complete, but it works well on MEKA.

Code (Text):
    1. Sonic Drift 2 SMS readme 2009/07/05 version
    2. -----------------------
    3. This is a quick conversion of Sonic Drift 2 from the Game Gear to the Master System.
    5. NOTE: The only difference between this version and the one from June 1st is that the ROM checksum
    6.       has been fixed, and it will boot with US/European BIOSes.
    8. The palette uploading routine has been totally rewritten, and the title screen now
    9. checks if 1 (Start) is pressed, instead of Game Gear's Start.
    11. Sonic Drift 2's races already spanned all the screen, but on the Game Gear,
    12. they were not shown completely. On the Master System, they are, which can
    13. lead to the occasional glitch.
    15. Bugs:
    16. - Can't exit demo mode (you have to wait for it to finish)
    17. - Status is shown in the middle of the screen during races
    18.   (this requires much hacking to change)
    19. - Some garbage is shown in the top right part of the screen
    20.   during races
    21. - Some things look like they're cut in some screens
    22.   This happens also because Sonic Drift 2 wrote "useless" stuff
    23.   in the parts of the tilemap not shown on screen.
    25. > Bugs due to hardware limitations <
    26. - Can't pause in a race (due to lack of buttons)
    27. - Colors do not appear as they were meant to be often.
    28. &nbsp;&nbsp;Shades are "scaled down" in precision, due to colors being 12bit on the Game Gear
    29. &nbsp;&nbsp;(which has a total of 4096), instead of 6bit as on the Master System
    30. &nbsp;&nbsp;(which has a total of ONLY 64). The difference is obvious. Most things look fine, though.
    32. Comments? Questions? Email them to tails92 at gmail dot com
    33. I'd like if someone tried this on a REAL Master System, which I don't have.
    34. A Megadrive with a pass-through would be good as well.
    36. For a new version, check http://tails92.sepwich.com
    38. - nextvolume, July 5th 2009
    Updated on July 5th, 2009

2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Very nice. Kudos =P

I wonder how many more Master System ports of GG games we'll see? Hopefully this is a trend that will last for all of them =P

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Now is this just my computer or is there no sound while playing this game in Kega Fusion?

Either way nicely done. I'm loving these Master System ports. Stupid Game gear screen

4. Glitch

Glitch

Tech Member
    That's excellent for a single day's work! I love Sonic Drift 2. I'm still kicking myself for not buying the mint boxed copy I saw while I was in Japan.

Works fine here...

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh scratch that the sound works just fine. The mute button on my computer works in funny ways sometimes

6. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    shit! another GG to SMS port? wow, I agree with overlord about this being the latest craze in sonic hacking =P

be seriously, anyone have plans for yet another GG to SMS port? XD

7. FlashTHD

FlashTHD

Oldbie
    The only one left worth trying is Sonic Labyrinth; Drift 1 And Skypatrol suck too much and I'm guessing Tails Adventures would look like total ass in only 64 colors (that and it was built for the small resolution).

8. JDAdams

JDAdams

So go off the Sonic ones then :) All of these are GG only and worth a play, many are "built for GG" though:

Ax Battler A Legend of Golden Axe
    Mega Man GG
    Megami Tensei Gaiden Last Bible Special
    Ninja Gaiden GG
    Phantasy Star Gaiden
    Phantasy Star Adventure
    Shining Force Gaiden Final Conflict
    The Excellent Dizzy Collection
    The GG Shinobi
    The GG Shinobi II The Silent Fury

N.B. this is a suggestion only. I suck at this sort of thing and would not like to be taken as being unappreciative of whatever I get :thumbsup:

9. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    Speaking of Sonic Drift 2, has anyone ever considered taking levels from this and putting them in Genesis hacks? Or make like a Sonic 2 hack that uses all of the levels in order of the GP each one act each except the ones that have two acts that are spread apart?

10. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I'm working on a Super Mario Kart hack which features the original cast, sans the addition of Rouge. :x

11. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    I considered it, and even made a background for Emerald Ocean (I planned on putting the levels not in the Mega Drive games in), but it never got far.

12. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    Well I'm glad it has crossed people's minds before. We would have to say that Sonic Drift 2's Death Egg runs along the outside instead of the inside, with like a cityish tower system poking out of it, complete with spotlights. That kind of Death Egg hasn't really been done before in a hack, treating it as a planet.

13. Yuzu

Yuzu

14. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Heh, when I saw US Gold's name there I was quite concerned. To think that it didn't completely and horribly suck!

15. Wesker

Wesker

Aside from cleaning some graphical glitches and all that garbage being showed in the upper borders of the screen, this is actually good as it is now. It actually adds a funny panoramic format to the original game with the horizontal view enlarged by the Master System resolution (water, tunnels and ramps don't fit it, though). Relating to the vertical enlargement, the color layer surrounding the status screen seems to appropiately fuse with the sky in some stages. In others it gets a different color, though. Maybe it would be better to turn them all to green so they just fuse with the status screen.

I suppose nothing can be done to enable a 2-player mode to the port, as lot of coding and reprogramming would have to be done in order to replace the original two separated views in console link-up mode by a single split-sceen representing them both.

A list of this kind can turn into endless. There's for sure way more good Game Gear "exclusives" than just those, and we all agree it would be great to have them also on the Master System. Interest and work is needed in order to start a porting trend of this kind, though.

The Excellent Dizzy Collection, by the way, is already a Master System game. What the Game Gear does is actually switching to the Master System mode in order to reproduce it. What's odd for sure is the fact of the game not having a retail Master System release at all.

16. Wesker

Wesker

Since it has been asked to try this on real hardware, I see fit to bring this input from people in other boards:

Pretty similar to what the Triple Trouble port initially had. I wonder if the game still freezes at startup or not (like Triple Trouble does) after the bios checksum problem gets solved.

17. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Note to myself: stop using exclusively the Japanese region when checking Game Gear to Master System hacks, it completely skips the whole checksum thing :psyduck:

18. Shibunoa

Shibunoa

Banned
    Italy
    The checksum problem has been solved. :)

19. Wesker

Wesker

Good news. The game seems to work on a proper Master System console.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.