don't click here

Sonic Decompilation Perfect Guide - Game Versions?

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Kharen, Jul 2, 2023.

1. I'm trying to follow this guide: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nnOjrAPad6L7Bvi_wKMcVJqD_ql8MLjH/view to put the series together on my Steam Deck. The problem is, apparently things have updated since the guide was released and a lot of mods don't work with the newest version of the game and the decompilation scripts.

Does anybody here know exactly what version of things I need to get the Sonic 1, CD, and 2 decompilations working with the mods listed in the guide? Neither this guide, nor the Steam Deck specific guide I'm following that references this guide give the actual version numbers to be able to hunt down exactly what I need.

2. Okay, a bit more investigating on my part, and I *think* I'm a bit closer to getting this working.

On the list of recommended mods on the guide, the writer provides a couple minor mods that he made himself. Looking at the Google Drive folder for the first of these mods, it says that some of the files were last updated back in October 2022. So, I got a hold of the 3.8.0 version of the APK instead of the newest version, put everything together, started the game, and got a "Script Parsing Failed" error upon trying to start GHZ Act 1.

So, even though I'm using an older version of the game, and an older version of the decompilation (1.3.0) to match, I think the error is the Scripts folder. The person behind that doesn't have past versions available. Does anybody here have an older copy of the Scripts folder (preferably with the matching folder for the Sonic 2 Decomp, so I'm not back in the same boat immediately after getting this one working) that will work? It needs to be compatible with the "Sonic 1 REX" mod, that's what the guide I'm following uses as a starting point.

3. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
  4. Thanks. Even though I've had to use Github for college classes, including my senior project, I barely know how the hell it works. I didn't see anything under "Releases", and figured I was screwed as far as getting past versions of the scripts.