don't click here

Sonic - Code Gray

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Jdogg, Apr 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jdogg

Jdogg

My god this name sucks. Member
    Beyond the door
    Sonic - Code Gray
    Here's something I've been modifying since August 2008 and I thought it was about time I finally got it out there. Fellow members of Sonic Retro, I give you Sonic - Code Gray v1.0.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The hack is still only in its simplest of basic changes including edited sprite art, music, pallettes and some ASM, but I'm sure you'll enjoy the new feel given to this alredy classic game (espically the boss battles that have been modified).

Credit goes out to:

. Sonic Retro Hacking information page.
    . Sonic 65 for the Sonic 1 PCM dirve.
    . Sonic Compressed Art Archive (SCAA).
    . Sonicresearch.org Fourms for the double jump feature.
    . Retrohack Fourms.
    . FreeplayMusic.com for additional music tracks added.
    . WWE Smackdown: Shut Your Mouth for the instrumental version of Mercy Drives song "Memory" used in Star Light Zone.
    . Anyone else I may of missed.

Game rom can be found here: Sonic - Code Gray V1.0

PLEASE NOTE: Some bugs can occour with the music depending on which emulator you play this on, I am working on getting this solved along with other known problems that need fixing, but the game itself is still playable so don't worry about that. :(

2. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    I love the Green Hill Zone Background Art. It's different but familiar at the same time.

3. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    A tiny amount of custom art, some objects in boss arenas, and all the public crap you can find doesn't make a good hack.

That being said, the GHZ background is nice. Unfortunately, I can't say the same about the rest of the hack.

4. c1owd

c1owd

Previously 'CarrascoZX0' Member
    For some reason I love the Level Select font... Hm... But I wonder how you get to it in the game...

Anyway it's pretty cool I like the art a little in GHZ but what the hell is up with the music in GHZ?

Also I love the SEGA pcm thing... "GENESIS DOES"! lol

How the heck people rip those things... And put it in there hack...

Anyway good job!

5. Master3k

Master3k

Not bad for a start. My main problem with this are the palettes. I'm sure you can get something better!

Keep it up.

6. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    There's no need to be a faggot/prick about this.

What you've done, Jdogg, is nice, but it's not really anything special... I suggest you get better music (PCM sounds horrible) and make some actual new layouts!

7. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    Just from the pictures, the bosses look less challenging and more cheap.

That said, I love the fact that you used the Egg Robo. Its sadly so different from seeing Robotnik :P

8. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    Oh the irony...[/prick]

Anyway, looks like a good start my only nit pick is that the GHz background would look so much better if you remove everything put the new mountains/hills instead of having them and the original GHz art on top, keep the clouds for now of course.

9. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I don't understand the negative comments people are giving this hack; from what I've seen, it actually appears to be pretty solid with a good amount of potential for improvement. A bit rough around the edges in terms of the SCAA content, granted, but not too shabby looking in the slightest.

If I had to make any suggestions, I'd echo the sentiments to work on some new level layouts to help make things more fresh. I can't offer much else advice until then, so I'll just say that I'm looking forward to seeing this hack progress in some form or another. Good luck! :(

10. Aka Mekon

Aka Mekon

AKA The best Member
    France
    No, I'm just sit on a chair =p
    Despite the GHZ level art, this hack isn't showing anything interesting, in my opinion.

11. Jdogg

Jdogg

Beyond the door
    Sonic - Code Gray
    Okay, replies to all are as follows:

BlackHole: Thank you for your approval on the GHZ art.

Afti: Yes, I know I haven't done a whole lot custom art wise but what were you expecting? Things take time to create after all. Objects in boss areas are there to add difficulty and create a different aspect instead of the usual layout which I'm sure all of us know the drill of how to beat each boss. As for the "public crap" as you put it, I gave credit because they are the people who gave their own time and dedication to find out how to edit things and share with others, and so I am simply just thanking them for doing so.

That being said, thank you also for your approval on the GHZ art.

CarrascoZX0: You probably love the Level Select font because its the same one used in "Space Harrier II". =P As for how to get to the Level Select menu, try doubling the keys you press for the usual cheat. :( Is the GHZ music that bad? I didn't think it was....hmm. If your wondering how to change the "SEGA" PCM to something different, select a sound you wish to replace it with, record it as a .wav file at 11,025Hz 8 bit PCM (I think that's what I recorded mine as), then change the filename to the same one as the sega pcm file in the sounds file found in the spilt disassembly and replace it. build rom and hopefully it should play your new sound at the SEGA title screen. If not, sorry for screwing up the guide.

Master3k: Some of the palettes will be changed later so no worries.

roxahris: I'm guessing the PCM music I've used is not getting any approval... okay, I'll see what I can do with it, and yes, I will get some new level layouts created once I get an idea of what to map out.

The Shad: I'm sure if you give the bosses a try you'll find challenge in them. Egg Robo is there because he's such a forgotten character. =P

Ollie: The reason why the original GHZ hills are still there is because the background looks somewhat empty without them. That being said, I am looking to replace them later by lifting the new mountains/hills and putting more ground underneath them. Maybe add some palm trees in there too or something.

Tweaker: Thanks for your thoughts and opinions, as mentioned previously I will get some new layouts mapped when I can.

Aka Mekon: It' still early days, I'm still just getting used to how to create and edit things afterall.

12. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    Oh bum.

13. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    Works fine for me. D=

14. Jdogg

Jdogg

Beyond the door
    Sonic - Code Gray
    I've just checked Mediafile and the rom download is still there. I guess the site was just struck by a bad case of stupidity when you clicked the link Blanche. If the problem persists I'll re-upload it.

15. Sonic 65

Sonic 65

Tech Member
    ...that PCM sounds absolutely horrible. Did you follow all the instructions I gave for inserting it in (I.e. commenting out the lines I specified)?

Other than that, what everyone else said; there isn't really a lot to comment on. The GHZ background looks pretty good, and the hack as a whole is definitely a good start. You should probably start focusing on the level layouts next, though.

Also, what's the level select code for this hack? UDLR didn't work.

16. Hanoch

Hanoch

Also known as TheKnock, Birashot Member
    Israel
    everything
    UUDDLLRR as what he said.

I really think you should remove the pcm music, because that takes all of the ROM space and then you cant do any other changes. The ghz art is a good start, just add level layouts. My tips: Delete five coloumns of chunks and then re-do them. When placing monitors/blocks enable snap to grid, so it would be easier to match them with the floor.

After you finish the level layouts of ghz, try adding good music. If you really want to keep the pcm music, find a midi of these tunes and re-arrange them to fit the mega drive limitations, then import using XM3SMPS.

If you want, I can help you with a few music ports.

17. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    Yeah, I suggest, like the other members have, from PCM music, even though it's a quick and easy way to get music in. It's also Cheap and not so good on the ears. Finding out how to port music the proper way is the best way to go.

...Which I need to still read up on.. D=

18. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    PCM music doesn't really work well inlevel because it has to be compressed to hell for eight songs to fit.

19. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Ok, I think he's aware that the PCM isn't good. Shall we move onto other areas, such as Level Layout, Pallettes and Artwork?

20. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    Layouts: There are no changes.

Palettes: Decent enough, but nothing notable as particularly good. They're just adequate.

Artwork: GHZ's new art is awesome. A crapload of stuff from the SCAA isn't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.