don't click here

Sonic CD now out for everything except Nintendo consoles

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Eviltaco64

Eviltaco64

Hopelessly Lost in Aisle 5 Member
    Awesome, it's cool that they're finally doing this. Personally, I'm probably just going to wait for Jaicrab's/DemonHades' CFW so I can run a hacked version of Gems Collection off my PS3 HDD.

I'd imagine that they're going to port the PC version, give it a generic looking menu, and add some sort of software filter that will upscale it to HD. I can't imagine missing anything.

2. dsrb

dsrb

Reading the thread would go some way towards either confirming or denying these various fruits of your imagination.

3. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

You...may want to check out some more of the topic.

About that Kotaku video: I love seeing games with parallax scrolling from an angle like that, makes it look more like it's popping out in 3D almost.

4. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Without going back to this 'canon' conversation (as it's already been cleared up, and I've ben away :v: ), there are obvious reasons why people are interested in this, and why it matters.

The story of a game/series is partially what sets it apart from other games/series. If I wanted to play a souless game, I would go and play Kid Chameleon or something. I play Sonic because I love the game for what it is, an I keep interested because every game plays at least in a similar manner, therefore the advance in story is quite interesting, especially as the Mega Drive games had Sonic going on an epic adventure to kick the crap out of Robotnik. How can you not be at least interested in the general plot? All those cutscenes in Sonic 3 & Knuckles shouldn't go to waste. Neither should they for the rest of the games.

On topic; that Sonic CD video above looks awesome. I still don't get all the hype though- only for a re release.

5. synchronizer

synchronizer

I apologize for assuming since I was never told that the spring was placed higher up in the PC version. At the time it must have been the PC version that I was playing. Yes hopefully that spring will be correctly placed.

Also, that Palmtree Panic 2 video certainly has an extreme 3d effect. Someone did a similar video effect with Green Hill Zone and Angel Island Zone.

6. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    This game looks so good with that widescreen resolution. Now I can only imagine how much better it's gonna be with the default SCD camera.

7. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    It happens in Sonic & Tails 1 and Sonic & Tails 2 as well. In fact, there's a big part of Robotnik Winter Zone dedicated to this, where abusing it (along with the ability to spin mid-air) will let you access a secret room.

I agree! The game looks absolutely incredible! I cannot wait to play this baby in widescreen.

I wish Sega would go hog wild with the Retro engine and use it to update all the Sonic games. Or, fuck, use it to make original games. Never even sonic games, just original games which look like genesis games in widescreen. Imagine something like Thunderforce III in widescreen...

8. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Holy fuck that video is awesome.

9. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    That's what Sonic 4 should've looked like; 16-bit graphics in widescreen, to give it that not quite old, but not quite new look and feel.

10. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    You've got to be kidding. The fact that it has the Megadrive camera mode has made me fall in love with this version and do we really need the SCD camera now that it's finally widescreen.

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    You don't like it, we do, so why remove it?

Now that I think of it, I think there's even a section in Sonic Advance 1 (at Egg Rocket?) that requires you to bounce from a spring without touching the D-pad, or else you'll always land on some spikes.

EDIT: Anyway, has anybody taken a good look at how the included filter works? As in, are the waterfalls translucid, do all the vertical lines blend into new colors, etc?

I'm really interested in this feature, and all the Kotaku article said was that the triangles don't look pixelated.

12. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    Egg Rocket, yeah; there are actually several sections in that level which pretty much depend on your using some air control. It's a fantastic example of the great similarity between the mechanics of Advance 1 and the MD games.

13. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    It really looks more like some kind of hqnx filter (where n ?[2,4]) as opposed to an RF filter.

Call me crazy, but more emulators need RF filters. I know it goes against the idea of pixel-perfect clarity, but pixel perfect clarity leads to ugly gradients while blurring said gradients like the old CRT televisions did lead to, well, translucent waterfalls, single shades of color where there had been vertical lines, etc.

14. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    So I've just re-checked the new footage from Kotaku and noticed that in the "hi-res" mode, the vertical lines that should blend in the background mountains... do not blend.

So it looks like a normal hq filter, unfortunately. Oh well. =\

15. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    For the record
    [​IMG]
    hq2x. Though this port should look slightly better because the sprites and backgrounds are supposedly being filtered individually (as opposed to the entire image at once)

I always felt 2xSaI did a better job myself.

all filters are limited. To get the best job you'd have to re-draw all the art from scratch.

16. Bartman3010

Bartman3010

Site Staff
    You might've noticed that paper note below the TV in the Kotaku video that dealt with the graphics setting. They put it there on the second day of PAX. It says to press "R1 and R2" on the controller to change the filter in the game.

Let that sink in for a moment.

Also I tried to put my ear as close to the TV as possible while playing, and the music definitely loops. Although it seems to use new jingles to bridge the parts together. Of course the Past music always looped properly.

17. dsrb

dsrb

^ Is anyone saying that the player can't choose whether or not to use the filter? The discussion (speculation?) is, rather, about the efficacy of the included filter when it's on.

18. synchronizer

synchronizer

So they are using the SNCBNK files? (Pardon me if the abbreviation is off)

To be honest I wish they'd add a non-secret stage select mode so I could start the game from whatever level I wanted without worrying about not time traveling. Time traveling after selecting a level from the secret menu sends you back to the title screen I believe. A proper stage select would be wonderful.

19. Bartman3010

Bartman3010

Site Staff
    After checking with Tweaker, I want to say that was what I heard. Of course my ears were competing with the noises of the crowd and surrounding booths, so I can't say for certain.

It sounded like the insturments were off, but they had the right tempo. So from the sample I tried to compare to my memory, that may have been it.

20. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Regarding the filters, here's a quick comparison to illustrate what we were discussing.

Unfiltered game:
    [​IMG]

Game using hq filter (as it seems to be in this case):
    [​IMG]

Game using NTSC filter:
    [​IMG]

Note the transparencies (water at the bottom), shading effects (S-tube) and inbetween colors (that horizontal thing in the wall).

And that's why I think it's a shame that something like that doesn't seem to have been included. =\

EDIT: Added Neo's better pic.