don't click here

Sonic CD code bounty: $100 USD

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Mad Echidna, Jul 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    STOP FOILING MY PLANS TO FLEECE YOU OF $100 FOR DOING A HALF-ARSED JOB.

Yeah, that sounds about right. It's not like they were limited with space, they had a whole CD to fill, so what did it matter if they duplicated things 70 times.

2. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Yeah, good point, I forgotten the seeking times ;P (1x was the speed of data loading, but there was also seeking and that's time spent in doing nothing)

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Yeah, it's disc-speed and RAM limitations that stopped them doing that.

4. jman2050

jman2050

Teh Sonik Haker Tech Member
    The Sonic CD never actually runs code directly from the CD. The CD is basically a simple storage medium. 68K code was run from a section of ram called WordRAM. This WordRAM was 256KB big. Each level in Sonic CD is essentially its own program, and it had to be done this way because 256KB was too small to combine everything together.

It's also why this task would be difficult, as already stated. Along with the fact that since disassemblies of SCD programs aren't actually available you'd have to do more work to insert new code and get it to work, you also have to do this about 70 times.

Still, $100 sounds like quite a bit for that.

5. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    I would have thought that the code for spindash would be fairly early in each of the level ROMs, in roughly the same place. If I had to program the SegaCD, I would imagine the source tree would probably have a folder for each level, and have the core engine combined with each level in some kind of script, meaning any differences between the level files can't be too different in theory. I mean who would want to go through and manually combine every level?

6. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    Not too long ago I was thinking about this - the best solution I came up with was to write a small program to look for the code and do the pertinent changes for each and every zone file (here's where machine code comes handy) once you got it working on one. It shouldn't be that complicated but I just don't have time for it at the moment, so someone else may pick up my idea (you owe me $10 if so =P)

And yes, there aren't any "public" mmd dissasemblies, but that just shouldn't be a problem at this point with the full disasm of S1. I took me a few minutes to find the sonic object and other relevant data when I first looked a few years ago...

7. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Actually I was thinking on it, and if you use a makefile, a batch file or something of the like, it isn't too hard to do, just automate the process.

8. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    Now how does the windows version work, and would that be easier to hack? Is it an emulation or an actual port?

9. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    It's a port, just like Sonic and Knuckles Collection. It wasn't exactly the age of emulation back in 1996.

10. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    Crap, I need to cash in on this the cheapest way I can think of.

11. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Well supposedly some leet haxor Tweaker knows is on the case :P It would give me a major boner if he could get the whole Megamix engine working on this but I know that's way too much

12. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

It would be sad to see the Genesis music from Megamix go if they did decide to port it. I mean CDDA almost makes it too easy to whip together something and defeats the point of an elegant custom soundtrack for Sonic 1... but it would be a breakthrough in terms of hacking. I'm sure the Megamix team could easily manage it if they put their minds to it actually.

13. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    There are no plans (nor possibilities, really) to port Megamix to the Sega CD—not now, and not ever. Not like that's the point of this topic anyway.

And as for the "leet haxor" I contacted, I've received no concrete decisions yet. I simply informed an interested party—they may or may not take up the deal.

14. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    I tell you, if this gets done, I'm never playing the original Sonic CD ever again. :P

15. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER Member
    Germany
    Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
    My only problem with Sonic CD's spindash was that you didn't have any visual signal when it's fully charged, other than that it was perfectly fine.
    But whatever, I almost always just use the peelout anyway and the spindash only to break monitors when standing on them.

16. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Yea you do. When the camera gets done changing position, its done.

17. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    I just listened to the sound. Around the time it reaches it's highest pitch, it's charged. I liked it a little better than the Genesis spindash because you didn't have to wear out your fingers charging it.

18. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Hmm, I personally find it more satisfying to "rev up" the spindash.

19. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I end up doing that out of habit, though I usually just peel-out and then immediately press down to spin.

20. <!--quoteo(post=212430:date=Jul 31 2008, 12:22 AM:name=muteKi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (muteKi @ Jul 31 2008, 12:22 AM) [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.