don't click here

Sonic Before the Sequel'12 - Released with OST

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Falk, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Falk

Falk

I'm confused as to why you find Prismatic loud, as it's supposed to be a continuation of the previous acts. At some point I may decide to throw a medley together (as the song was 'originally meant to be') and the intro section of Prismatic featuring Green Hill turns into a sorts of percussive breakdown section. That's actually the way it's supposed to play out when you're progressing through Hilltop Heights, actually. Overall volume aside though I actually do agree with you that the strings specifically could afford to be a little bit softer. Right now they're like 'look at me, I'm strings' just because.

Also, for Rocky Ride, considering the entire musical concept stems from Act 1's name being actually a play on Blues (I.e. Purples), I'm not too sure what you expect me to do. Some substitute dominant reharmonization, maybe? :P

2. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    No! I absolutely love Rocky Ride's score, I have no idea what he was talking about, the blues riff is the stand-out element of Act 1. Keep as is, man :D

Plus, I love the little hint of Hot Shelter in it too ;)

3. Thousand Pancake

Thousand Pancake

Being a food you put milk on and then eat in the m Member
    I guess I'm just kind of tired of that kind of progression. :v:

4. Falk

Falk

Just for the record I actually toyed around with the jazz concepts of 12-bar blues (I.e. turnarounds, a ii-V for bars 9-12 instead of the more basic rock style V-IV-I) but it just ended up sounding way too... uh "uncool" for lack of a better term. I think this was one case where the best solution for tying it to the level/visuals was simply 'keep it simple'.

5. Thousand Pancake

Thousand Pancake

Being a food you put milk on and then eat in the m Member
    I dunno; it just seemed louder than the other acts. The majestic feel of the tune makes me feel like it should be softer and more dynamic than acts 1 and 2. Not dramatically softer, mind you, just a little bit.

I think I'll stop posting on this thread for a while before I make myself look like even more of an idiot. :v:

6. Falk

Falk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bIayUTiwc4

7. Myriad

Myriad

Forgot what did.
    Project: Blue Blur
    May I just say, that deserves a thorough squeak of joy! I'm loving the Sonic sprites. I hope this is as good as before, if not better!

8. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    Jesus Crust that OST sounds delicious. I'm going to pop it into my iPad as soon as I download the game.

9. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    Wow, that sounds GREAT. Cannot wait to get my hands on it, bro.

10. Falk

Falk

http://soundcloud.com/falk-2/circumstance

Not gonna mention what this is for! Consider it the last teaser before the release.

11. VizardJeffhog

VizardJeffhog

Sonic Stadium Staffer, Gamnesia Writer Member
    Ottawa
    Playing the official role of Jeffhog McNinja:

A release trailer!

Sonic Before the Sequel'12 is now available for download.

Hope a Mac port will be made by some people soon like the original edition... ;-;

In the meantime, I'll pleasure help myself to the game's soundtrack!

EDIT: Though I'll have to wait for the game to be ported to Mac, I'll say this in advance: LakeFeperd, THANK YOU FOR LEVEL SELECT!

EDIT 2: On my end, sprucing up the soundtrack files a bit since the track names had track/disc numbers and no artists were identified... Managed to identify maybe all of Falk's material, uncovered some of Ristar, KgZ and Funk Fiction's tracks as of now. A handful remain blank though. ^^; Also found the intended album cover thanks to Falk's BTS'12 set on Soundcloud.

12. Falk

Falk

Yeah, I actually refrained from including anything except the raw music files in the zip because I'm paranoid about changes; a lot of the minutae will be up on the youtube channel. FLAC upload is done, linking in a moment.

edit: You never managed to get it to work with VMWare? Funk Fiction just did apparently!
    edit2: control surface error, derp.

13. VizardJeffhog

VizardJeffhog

Ottawa
    First I've heard of that!
    ...wait, control surface error?

14. Falk

Falk

It won't play cutscenes either :V

15. VizardJeffhog

VizardJeffhog

Ottawa
    Gameplay over cutscenes, man. XD That's all that matters. I'll have to wait until I can download VMWare, internet bill's not gonna look good otherwise.

16. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    I think I'll be playing this tonight. Probably gonna stream it while I do.

17. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Playing through. its great!

...Right until perilous paradise zone when for some reason I hit some random button on the keyboard and it skipped me to the next level then in act 2 the game's massive slowdown in the water parts caused me to lose all 10 of my lives because the breath time doesn't account for the slowdown and expects me to get a bubble soon when I can go only .01 MPH. also the bubble system is buggy. I wait for a bubble, try to grab it, fails, I die THEN it decides to give me the breath and I watch tails/sonic in death pose flying down the stage.

The Hadoken turtles in lost levels zone, while cool and gave me a chuckle, were put in some dick spots. really reminded me of the mantis placements in Sonic 2. also act 1 of LLZ can be real confusing to navigate, I ended up at the beginning 3 times.

And where are the options to change your keyboard/screen settings? can't seem to find it anymore after my game is initially started.

Otherwise, its a real solid game. slowdown aside the physics are great, the level design and overall ascetic is superb, the cutscenes are great to watch, and I love just pausing the music just for a minute to listen to it they are fantastic tracks and the way it all loops in the game gives me Sonic CD vibes.

Great job on this update, Wish I could've done a stright run but I'm too tired to continue today.

18. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    Yeah, huge suggestion. Fix the water bubbles in Perilous Paradise or whatever it's called. I game overed because it wouldn't let me grab an air bubble and it's easily the worst level in the entire game.

19. Falk

Falk

I'm sorry guys I just wanted everyone to hear the drowning jingle. :(

20. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    It's good :P

Actually, I just beat the game. I had alot of fun despite Perilous Paradise! The people watching were also really digging the new soundtrack and the game as well. Thank you all for the hard work!