don't click here

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Discussion

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Chimpo, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    Sonic looks a lot less sluggish and the level design looks decent, I can't say I'm super excited because that one section where the game just played it self after Sonic hit booster just sucked, there's no reason why you couldn't have done that without the chain of boosters and springs. Otherwise it looks pretty solid though, the level design looks tiered and I like how it seems that failure doesn't automatically mean death, and that there are water sections in the first level, but only if you miss a jump. It doesn't look perfect, but this certainly looks like an improvement over Episode I, if a small one. The title card is snazzy too, I like it.

2. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    Being less concerned about physics, I am more concerned the game will just be another series of boosters and springs w/minibosses ala Sonic Rush. If it just repeats that then there isn't much for someone like me to see—just more of the same.

Since, regrettably, lost in the anti-physics tirade is the question of novelty. *Shrug*

3. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    Despite that one section in the middle that forces you through everything, am I the only one relatively happy with the video? Sonic picks up speed a lot faster than he did in Episode I, the physics look notably different, the level design otherwise looks pretty nice and tiered (With water sections if you fuck up), and it just looks fun to me. I dunno, maybe I just haven't played a classic game in a while, or maybe I just don't care, but overall I think the video made the game look pretty fun, and gives me hope for future games and when I inevitably play the demo.

4. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    The music, from what I can hear of the shittily sampled Sonic 2 percussion, and "bew-bew" synth, is still gonna suck. What a wasted opportunity when the rest of the game was looking leaps and bounds better than Episode 1.

5. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
    I honestly can't tell if the music was changed or not. I can still hear the shitty Sonic 2 percussion, but I can't tell if I hear the "orchestral masterpiece" synth too. Guess I'll be using a custom soundtrack for the game if Jun's still using the same shitty soundfont for Episode II. Thank you, Microsoft! :specialed: Other than that little nitpick, I'm ok with this! The graphics look great, the physics look pretty decent, and hey, Mid-April? Not bad! Everything's going alright for this game!

...Even though I can only assume that release date is going to be like how Taxman's Sonic CD remake was released on Gamestop-exclusive tablets one month before its' XBLA/PSN/iOS release, which means that it's probably gonna be the same deal here with Episode II. nVidia devices get it first, and then it'll be released one month later for everyone else, which would explain why Xbox.com had the release date as May 16th for a while before Sega took it off the display page.

6. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    Damn, the level design really looks linear on that video, maybe even more than Episode I.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    While the soundtrack thing may piss me off, that's the one thing that I don't really care about because that's what custom soundtracks are for. There's plenty of good Sonic music out there for me to play over the levels.

8. On 1:35 - 1:40
    looks like they fixed Sonic's flipping speed based on how fast he runs, unless the quality is fooling my eyes.

9. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    The level design looks awful yet again. Sonic was propelled through two sets of automation springs and a speed booster near a loop. It just makes me realise that the people working on this game don't fully understand classic Sonic at all. The whole point of a loop is it's a challenge, not a very big one but it is. The idea is that you build enough momentum yourself to get through the loop, doing so gives the player a feeling of satisfaction. This is completely destroyed by putting a speed booster there.

10. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Oh hey. Sonic doesn't have a walking animation anymore.

11. Blivsey

Blivsey

Charismatic Sonicaholic Member
    I was just about to post that! They're clearly listening to some of the fans, but how are they missing the more obvious and vocalized trivialities (spindash sounds)? Note the use of the word "trivialities" to denote the actual meaning of these problems.

12. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Bullshit. The point of loops in Sonic 1 was to show off the physics engine. You are incredibly silly if you think it was ever meant to be anything resembling a challenge, especially post-Sonic 1.

13. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    Yes it is a challenge, if you don't have enough momentum to carry you through the loop, you either have to run back to a point where you will gain enough momentum, or charge a spin dash. It doesn't kill you but it wastes time.

14. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Yeah, noticed this too. I never understood why they made him walk in E1.

15. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    I call bullshit on you because you had to reach and pass a certain speed to loop it. Putting a booster in front of a loop takes away any challenge regardless of how small of a challenge it is. I also like to point out the loops in Hill Top Zone that did require a bit skill because you have to hold down to spin through the bricks. If you put a booster in front of that loop it would be no where near as much fun as doing it with Sonic's skills alone.

16. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Good thing they didn't put boosters or springs or steep slopes in front of loops all the god damn time in the classic games. Oh wait, they totally did.

Also, this guy:
    [​IMG]
    (down+a totally takes skill you guys)

17. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    This is what excites me the most about the physics thus far, why the hell did he get off to such a slow start in Episode I? That was completely ridiculous and one of my biggest pet peeves about the game's controls, he was too damn slow, he was not fun to control because of which. If they speed him up a bit and change some things around I'm definitely going to enjoy this much more than Episode I, which it looks like they have.

By the way, a new video for you lords: http://www.gamerlive.tv/article/mobile-world-congress-sega-outs-sonic-hedgehog-4-nvidia-tegra-android-devices-we-go-hands-2

18. More decent player than the last but he will not stop tapping the jump button to cross a platform a few inches ahead of him. And he died at the water section like the last guy as well.

19. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    Momentum does not seem to work like it should, it's a shame. Otherwise that looks fun and a solid improvement over Episode I, I'm just disappointed that Sonic really did not seem to gain much speed from that include, but why? That should be a really obvious thing to include, not even for a Sonic game but any basic platformer. Hell, Mario picks up speed running down hills, and loses it running up 'em, it should be common sense.

20. Indigo Rush

Indigo Rush

I am so grateful for that video, because it showed Sonic increase his speed slightly while running down that steep incline and onto the water section. The only time his momentum dropped is when he finished a homing attack, but then again, it's always behaved like that. Every other instance, however, shows evidence that you don't just stop like a rock. It's great. Also, Tails' idle animations are adorable. And of course, the graphics are beautiful.

Very
    optimistic about this.