don't click here

Sonic 3 & Knuckles hidden graphics

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by XFox Prower, Dec 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XFox Prower

XFox Prower

x86 Assembly, Tails Search Assistant
    While playing with the save file for Sonic & Knuckles Collection, I came across some graphics that we all know weren't used. But I found out how to get them by editing a save file. It appears that Tails and even Knuckles were designed to have their own "CLEAR" pic on the file screen. There's a value in the save file that changes when you clear a file in Sonic 3 & Knucles. There's only 1 pic that is shown when you beat the game (the one that has all 3 charaters. But it's possible by changing the variable to get more pics such as:

(Sonic)
    Sonic 3 (without all emeralds)
    Sonic 3 (Super Sonic pic)

(Tails)
    unused (Tails pic)
    unused (same as above but with thumbs up. Most likely the all emeralds ending pic)

2 for knuckles as well.

Here's a screenshot of one of them being displayed. Although these findings were found on the PC version, It's very likely that the ROM has the same graphics in it and more stuff that they forgot to clean up.

Attached Files:

2. Ben2k9

Ben2k9

We stand to Fight Oldbie
    Manchester, UK
    none at the mo
    can you show pics of all of them please?

3. Bleeding Cut

Bleeding Cut

Dr. Knuckles Member
    Wow, those are neat! :(

4. excellent findings I dunno if my memory is broken but "I think"KEYWORD THINK I remember seeing that tails pic ina magazine

5. Whoa... could you make a savestate of it so it would be in the game?

6. XFox Prower

XFox Prower

Here's pics. They're all as you see them (background colors and all). All of these pics can appear on the save file screen if you modify the save file :(.

Attached Files:

7. Bleeding Cut

Bleeding Cut

Dr. Knuckles Member
    Wow. How does one go about editing the save file?

8. XFox Prower

XFox Prower

Simple hex editor work. I'd make a save file but all I know is c++. I don't think a little stupid console program asking "how many lives do you want?" for each lives, continues, stage, etc option is going to be very bad for user friendliness. Since learning to program is pretty far away, I'm learning a more focused approach like PHP.

9. The Wanderer

The Wanderer

Never really posted Member
    Flash Animations
    ...Nice find. The tails one is new to me, but uhh, I'm pretty sure that the Knuckles one (along with all the others, though I could be wrong about the others as I have never seen them, save for the S. Sonic one) is present in the game. I remember a few years back seeing the Super/Hyper Knuckles picture in one of the save slots of the actual game. However, how I accessed it I cannot remember, but I think it had something to do with cycling through the entire list of levels, which gave you such a picture. However, I could be wrong, but I know I have seen that knuckles picture somewhere in the game without hacking.

10. Ben2k9

Ben2k9

We stand to Fight Oldbie
    Manchester, UK
    none at the mo
    yeah, I've seen most of them actually, I think the only ones I havnt seen are the normal sonic one and both tails'

11. TechSonic

TechSonic

*drools* A TAILS IMAGE!!! MUST SAVE AS!

12. XFox Prower

XFox Prower

All of them are possible without cheating except for the 2 Tails (pun intended) and 2 Knuckles pics as far as I know. If you beat Sonic 3 without all the emeralds, you see the normal Sonic pic. If you beat it with all emeralds, you see the Super Sonic pic. That goes regardless of what character you beat it with. For Sonic 3 & Knuckles, you see the team pic regardless of who you beat it as and how many emeralds you have. When my save editor is done you'll be able to choose which ending pic you want for your character. It's still a bit make-believe since my host doesn't support php but I can atleast work with it offline. I'm wel aware that Visual Basics sucks because of all the unincluded runtime files that aren't built in so that's out. C++ doesn't seem to have buttons, scrollbars, title bars, windows close buttons, etc but I guess there's a way to make fake buttons by writing pixels to the screen (which is why Dev C++ looks like a Win9x program even in XP). There has to be a solution but it's not common knowledge. It's rumored that Delphi can make Windows programs but of course all those who work with it are naturally born snobs who are afraid of competition. Maybe I'll have better luck typing random stuff into my hex editor.

13. Ben2k9

Ben2k9

We stand to Fight Oldbie
    Manchester, UK
    none at the mo
    actaully your wrong, it only does the team pic when you complete the game with all the super emeralds, if you have say all the chaos emeralds and complete it with knux, it shows the super knux picture, but the wierd thing is that it shows sonics pic if you do it with tails.

14. Fiz

Fiz

FACKIN' BIG PENIS Oldbie
    PENIS
    I know I have seen the Super Sonic, Super Knuckles, and Team picture before. The regular Sonic one looks slightly familiar, but one of those Tails pictures look very familiar to me. I'm not sure which one it was, because they both look very similar besides the hands, but I'm pretty sure I accesed it before, because I would always play as Tails alone. I'm pretty sure I've seen it before, but It's been years since I've seen it, and that original save file I had with that picture on it is gone now.

15. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Seen all of them. Sonic 3 & Knuckles is probably the only game I have finished with all emeralds...

16. Ben2k9

Ben2k9

We stand to Fight Oldbie
    Manchester, UK
    none at the mo
    yeah, well it does have the save feature, which makes it somewhat easier.

17. XFox Prower

XFox Prower

If what you say is true, then the pc version doesn't implement it. I'll try it on Gens. A tip for those using the sram modified S3k rom: I name my Sonic 3 rom Sonic3k.smd and my S3k rom Sonic3k.bin. Since their name is the same minus the extension, they share the same sram file. Just beware of save states going between games.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.