don't click here

Sonic 2 SMS - Enhanced Edition

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Mastered Realm, Jun 12, 2022.

1. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    [​IMG]
    1. Introduction

This is a small-scope hack that aims to fix visual issues in the Master System version of
    Sonic the Hedgehog 2. I decided to start the project after noticing several palette mistakes
    in the ROM and when I dug a bit more I noticed how those affected the entire game.

2. Changes

A pink shade ended up replacing the darkest yellow and blue replaced the darkest red.
    When I fixed this I noticed it affected all sprites in the game, even Sonic! For example:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some sonic sprites also had problems on the shoes since those had to be manually
    altered to make them red instead of using Sonic's /belly color. Here's an example:

[​IMG]

Some artworks had duplicate palette entries that ended up hiding parts of the image.
    Those were fixed and the correct highlight color was obtained looking at the palettes
    used by Green Hills, Scrambled Egg, and Crystal Egg title cards. Some comparisons:​

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Lastly, I've ported the GG underwater palette to Aqua Lake Act 2. Since the original
    wasn't great and Sonic didn't have a proper underwater color. Here's how it looks:

[​IMG]

3. Download Link

https://www.mediafire.com/file/viuulk3tin9xdd2/

Again, it's a small hack but should be the best version of Sonic 2 SMS out there :) Enjoy!​

Last edited: Jun 12, 2022