don't click here

Sonic 2 Remixed

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Ravenfreak, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I decided to release the first version of my hack. So far I've added a clock monitor that resets the timer, changed the "!" monitor to where it just resets the ring counter, and a bubble monitor that allows Sonic to breath underwater for an unlimited amount of time. I restored the ring monitors, edited some art, changed the object layout for only a few levels, and extended the rom to use an extra bank that I plan on taking advantage of in the future. (So it's now the largest size a SMS game can be.) Videos of previous versions are in the general project screenshot/video thread if you want to check them out. And here's a few screenshots:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    And here's a download link:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?rlbesd2jslj2ske

2. neonsynth

neonsynth

Previously 'SonicVaan' Member
    Germany, Stammbach
    gaming and music production
    Here are some things I noticed:

- At the beginning of Under Ground Zone Act 1 when you walk left, you'll get offscreen and then you are somehow stuck.
    - Same thing as above for Under Ground Zone Act 2, but that you'll not get stuck. But the palette will be screwed for a short moment, you get rings randomly and you can walk around.
    - In Under Ground Zone Act 2 I got on a minecart when facing left (dunno, but I think I did it when I was in mid-air when I jumped onto a spring) and then Sonic and the minecart disappeared. When you jump off and then walk to the right/left, you'll be there at the beginning of the level, but the level looks fucked up, but will recover when the fucked section is offscreen.
    - When Sonic walks, and when you release the left or right directional button, he keeps walking.
    - I can break when rolling? (Unless it was intentional)
    - You can get out of the screen when you touched the signpost.
    - Some tiles before the UG Zone boss are fucked.
    - Even after the boss fight when the camera didn't move yet you can get off-screen. (I didn't try it while fighting the boss, but I assume it will happen too.)
    - Life counter doesn't move off-screen when getting to that egg-capsule.
    - On the title screen there's "PRESS START BUTTON" but you have to press 1 or 2 to start the game.

You probably noticed some of them, but since I love betatesting, I couldn't resist. :P

But yeah, I like where this is going.

3. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    The last one isn't a bug actually, it's like that in the normal game. I forgot that I changed a byte in UGZ2's object layout that effects the last part of the level right before the signpost (I'm not too sure on which object I edited), but I fixed that. As for most of those bugs, I knew about them already, I just forgot to post them. ^^' I haven't fixed them yet, but I'll get to it. Thank you for bug testing. :)

4. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    *Bump* I've updated my hack a bit. I fixed the annoying/weird skid glitch, but I had to change the hud layout back due to another bug. (Which I'll fix later, as I am focusing on something else...) I started at GHZ because UGZ is under construction, and is currently unbeatable. And I disabled Act 3 for a reason. ;) (It's not fully gone, you can still use a GG code or Action Replay code to access it xP) But I still have to fix the code so it doesn't load the score tally card. :v: I'm working on a new monitor, but it's not shown here because I'm not finished with the code yet. xP
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IigbMvNmYmM