don't click here

Sonic 2 JP VHS revisited

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by LocalH, Jul 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    (original topic here)

I'm pretty sure all we have of this video is a lo-res, 30fps butchery. This tape really needs archival-quality preservation, something along the lines of interlaced 7-8Mbps MPEG-2 (the codec doesn't matter so much as leaving it interlaced does).

Deinterlacing is a blight on internet releases of most SD video, and this is no exception. Does anyone actually own this tape, or would this one need to be purchased to re-digitize it?

2. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    I'll probably end up owning this tape and all similar ones one way or another in the next few years. They're not exactly rare so there's no rush...

3. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

Be cool, be wild, and be groovy! Member
    Gathering information on Sega World Sydney and collecting Sonic merchandise.
    I have it!! I'll make sure to rip and post it on Youtube as soon as I can find a decent FireWire for my camera. I think there's some interesting prototype stuff in there. For example, I remember seeing an all-purple special stage, which I don't think was in the final.

4. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    Make sure you that you upload it onto a file host like, FileDen or I can give you some pace to upload it, since YouTube compresses the video. =P

5. Agobue

Agobue

Or you can give it to me, so I can remaster it.

6. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Or upload it on archive.org, which will make BOTH the original version and a 512kbps streaming version available. With no time limit at all.

7. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

Be cool, be wild, and be groovy! Member
    Gathering information on Sega World Sydney and collecting Sonic merchandise.
    I'll gladly upload it for posterity, but you'll need to give me a few weeks because I need to buy a new cable in order to upload it.

8. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    Whatever you do, PLEASE capture at 720x480 resolution (or 640x480 if you have to) with NO deinterlacing or resizing, otherwise there's no real point in capturing it as we already have an old-Youtube-quality copy. We don't necessarily need the raw DV files (since you mentioned Firewire), we only need a high bitrate MPEG-2 (with that we should get more than enough quality from 6-8Mbps instead of 25Mbps for DV). I'd also recommend either high-bitrate MP2 (224kbps or higher) or medium-bitrate AC3 (somewhere between 192 and 320kbps).

Something else that can be done for those who don't have a way to do realtime deinterlacing on playback - convert the file into raw fields (480i to 240p) and then resize it to match SIF video (352x240). The video can be processed to clean it up a bit before this is done to create a fairly high quality 60fps video from a (relatively) low quality VHS source.

I can't guarantee how long it would take, but I would be willing to assist in the processing and conversion of either the original DV capture or the D1-res MPEG-2. Might even go as far as to use motion compensation to make a smooth PAL conversion of the original (although I don't know as that might introduce undesirable artifacts, I'd have to do a dry run on a small clip first).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.