don't click here

Sonic 2 Beta 2012 Disassembly Public Release

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by MathUser, Dec 9, 2012.

1. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    The following is a message from SuperEgg:

"Howdy, this is SuperEgg with the Sonic 2 Beta disassembly.

Back in 2006, Esrael released the original Sonic 2 Beta disassembly. Though most of it was already disassembled, it was a huge mess that nobody would ever want to use. Earlier this year, I took it upon myself to work on the disassembly and have it usable by the general hacking community. Along with Ayla (Nay'r), we quickly got to work on sprucing it up. After about 4 months of commenting, separating, and not to mention modifying some of the less useful parts, we came up with this.

- New folder organization.
    - All file extension are now bin.
    - Routines such as Game Modes, Art Loading, Compression types, ect; have been split from the main file and put into appropriate folders (see first change)
    - There is now lots of Sub name changes.
    - Compatable with Sonic 2 backporting as far as RAM names go about.
    - Objects were in the process of being split from the main assembly and being placed into their correct folders.
    - Sound Driver and music have it's own folder.
    - A lot of renamed routines.
    Also, to add into this exciting package, I have added two things....

-SonED2 project files
    note: I have edited the object definition file, since not all the Sonic 2 objects are the same as they were in the Beta.
    -SonLVL project files
    note: all the objects have ?, so if you want to edit the levels, that's fine, but you're out of luck with object definitions.

I would like to mention, this isn't the final release, for we are still in the process of making it 75% better, but most of the changes you see within this disassembly are final.

Special thanks to Ayla for helping getting this giant piece of work.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ib3f85sujk9knhc/S2BDisasm.zip "

Edit: oops, I thought I put this in Engineering and Reverse Engineering. Feel free to move it there.