don't click here

Sonic 1: Project "???"

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Master3k, Aug 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master3k

Master3k

[Copypasta from SSRG]
    Sonic 1 Project "???" is a hack made by Team "???" (originally Team Unknown)

What's new?
    ASM
    -Jump Dash
    -REV01 BG effects
    -S2 spindash
    -+1 ring upon kill enemy
    -Spike bug fix
    -1 Palette/music per act
    ART
    -Art for MZ and LZ (more are planned)
    -Shitload of new art (SCAA)
    OTHER
    -New palettes
    -Music ports (yes, no XM3SMPS music)

It may sound very simple for now, but it's not.
    [​IMG]
    Here is a image of a Day-Sunset-Night esque, and a photo of the Level Select.
    Please note, your comments are very worth for me, because I plan to post this on Sonic Retro. (Note: :argh: )
    Ah...
    Download here!
    Credits:
    Eduardo knux - Music ports
    HPZMan - Help with samples
    Loads of people - ASM guides
    Hitaxas/STE - ASM help
    DalekSam - Art, few music ports
    Thehackery - Beta testing
    Master3k (Me) - Do I really need to say.
    [/Copypasta]

2. Eduardo Knuckles

Eduardo Knuckles

Not a loved one, but the most hated person. Banned
    Someplace somewhere
    Project S.A.M.G.
    The graphics from Marble zone looks cool, since I noticed some not edited tiles as well. The palletes are so great, and your jump dash I just love. Sounds a great work, Master3k!

3. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I started the game, saw the original Green Hill Zone layout, and then I just stopped. Didn't an older version of this hack have new layouts?

Your new art is decent, but nothing mindblowing. All I'm seeing is another hack that uses SCAA art, ESE music ports, and follows everything from SCHG How-to:Guide. Where's your original content? You should start making layouts, first and foremost. That is what makes a good hack, not overblown and overused features that everybody's seen before. Get what I mean?

What you have is decent for a beginner, but the last time I played this hack it was tons better. Why the regression?

(On a side note, I'm disappointed to see another hack which does the jump dash wrong. What is so hard about nulling vertical velocity? :argh:)

4. GasparXR

GasparXR

I'm back! Member
    I agree with Tweaker. The ASM stuff is nice but we've seen it before; It's not necessarily BAD having it in, but without any layout changes, it's just "another hack". Not a bad start though, I like the art change in MZ.

5. Master3k

Master3k

I will explain that in a second.
    After a few time playing the still-had-layouts versions, I've noticed small but numerous bugs on the layout, so I decided to restart them. But I promise the next version will have new ones. I promise a new GHZ art in next release too.

6. Eduardo Knuckles

Eduardo Knuckles

Someplace somewhere
    Project S.A.M.G.
    Wow, I can't wait to see the next release. ;)
    Actually, I like the music selection you had done, as the Chaotix ones.
    But where are the drumbeats at the act clear music?? :argh:

7. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    The drumbeats aren't missing, persay—the main thing missing from the song is the bass, which I'm surprised has been left out entirely. I know you can only carry over 5 out of 6 FM channels when backporting Chaotix music, but the bass is one thing that you absolutely do not want to get rid of. It throws everything off.

Also, speaking of music selections... Walkin' in Green Hill? Seriously? How is that supposed to fit at all? o_O

8. Eduardo Knuckles

Eduardo Knuckles

Someplace somewhere
    Project S.A.M.G.
    Hahaha, it is true ... Walkin' is exception. ^^'

9. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    This hack is very good and it will be more, but, I don't know if I like your Egg Ruin, I don't know why but the combination between yellow, beige and blue (the sky) is strange to me. You did an awsome work with the jump dash! Go on with "???" (lolz?)! Also, pretty Marble zone!

10. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    Actually, his jumpdash is my old jumpdash (minus the vert velocity fix) from when I was hacking S1.

I tried to tell him, but he never corrected it. ;)

11. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    What the hell is wrong with my art then?

Master loved the art when I sent it, and still probably does, and so do I. Yet he tweaked it and it looks even better.

12. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    First... I doesn't look like a ruin.

Second: You cant have clouds underwater (I hate Misty Maze's BG)

And... I don't's like the plain style you used, but that is only my opinion. All the rest is good for me.

13. Eduardo Knuckles

Eduardo Knuckles

Someplace somewhere
    Project S.A.M.G.
    In my opinion, the clouds... I think that a bg with bricks or smartest stones can be better. Otherwise, the foreground tiles looks perfectly and unique.

14. Master3k

Master3k

Lol O_o
    But ok people, I will change the art.

EDIT: Don't even post guys, hack is canceled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.