don't click here

Sonic 1 + 2 Soundtrack Compilation announced

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Spindash54, Jun 18, 2011.

1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Really? Who was that?

2. sonicthesnot

sonicthesnot

It was Hiroshi Kubota (I.e. Jimita.)

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Interesting, could you please share your questions and the answers you got from him, so we won't bother him asking the same things again?

4. Yuski

Yuski

Dragons, dragons everywhere! Oldbie
    How this wasn't posted here yet?

Source: http://sonic.sega.jp/20th/topics/index.html#product-sound_track

5. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Actually, it was, a few pages back, but I forget where exactly and don't care enough to look it up again.

Was a release date ever confirmed, for that matter? I can't for the life of me recall.
    EDIT: Yeah, it's coming out on the 19th, so a week from today. Cool beans.
    Again, http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=POCS-21032 has the info

6. Tanks

Tanks

[​IMG]

And we have a cover!

7. Kogen

Kogen

Derp Banned
    Bouvet Island
    Last Party on the Moon
    Huh? Where is Akon?

What a bad cover, not even showing the star.

8. Yuzoboy

Yuzoboy

UK
    I really like the cover, simple and stylish.

9. Apparently according to VGMdb, there's gonna be an interview with Masato Nakamura in English and Japanese in the booklet, dunno if that was mentioned yet.

Still waiting for this to ship to my house; Retro will be the first to get the rips. :P

10. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    Fuuuuck, why is this still a week away?

11. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Man I really want to hear these demos. For anyone thinking they'll sound almost the same as the Genesis BGMs then you'll be in for a shock. Yes he would have composed them with the sound channel limit (as in four sounds at once given that is all the Genesis could handle) but with even limited music knowledge even I am aware that these are going to sound very different. I am expecting a difference in quality on par with MP3 to MIDI.

If I do turn-out to be incorrect for any reason then feel free to jump on me later but actual music hardware compared to a games console sound chip from 1989 says to me these will sound amazing. I am really looking forward to hearing this. It's like the album of my childhood (Sega need to complete the set and gives us Sonic 3K).

12. sonicthesnot

sonicthesnot

Not only that, but Yuji Naka's commentary will be included. ALSO: the game images/drawings Masato Nakamura was given (during early stages of development) will also be included in the booklet.

Definitely glad a ordered a copy of this.

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Which makes me wonder if the demos will fit the old concepts better than the final levels, with Labyrinth sounding more Japanese, or Green Hill being more... computery?

14. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    In Sonic Advance, there are a few Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 music. And also the Sonic 1 cell phone game, there were all the midis of Sonic 1. In all those, where credits goes to Masato Nakamura, the bass line of Spring Yard Zone, and one accord in Starlight Zone is different in such a way that it hurts the feeling of those music :(
    I would be very sad if the demos had those defects. But remember, it is only because I saw the original music as the correct ones for so many years.

It will be interesting to hear these demos, but it will also be frightening. I would rather listen to more unused ones, as it would help understanding Masato Nakamura style better, especially Sonic 2's style.

15. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    If those Japanese Sonic 2 ads are any indication, I'm thinking this'll be something like that S&K album -- "early '90s" (which to me have always seemed like '80s leftovers) synth patches that will no-doubt sound very dated and/or like the default Microsoft MIDI drivers that have been used for years.

Not to sound ungrateful, mind you; I'm still more interested in the demos than anything else about the set, equally as a Sonic fan and as a musician. :)

16. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    The track I'm the most interested in would have to be Metropolis. It sounds quite different in the Simon Wai beta, so it would be good to hear which version is closer to the original demo.

17. CDJapan just told me my copy has shipped; since I chose FedEx, it'll take 1-3 days to get here. I'd estimate about Wednesday, which is the normal release day anyway.

18. Tanks

Tanks

Going by that, an early release may very well be imminent! :D

19. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    Please rip as soon as you get it.

20. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    A lossless rip would be appriciated also. Then removing voices can help to hear some background instruments.